Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Flake tobaccos ??? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=56176)

cigaman1979 06-05-2012 02:44 PM

Flake tobaccos ???

I've never smoked a flake tobacco before, but have been thinking more and more about getting some soon. So I was wondering what the top recomended flakes were. I understand that it's all opinion, but I figure if there are a few that seem to make everyones list(or at least the majority)....they're worth a try. I'm probably going to pick up a few tins as I don't really want to pay shipping on, say, $11. So let's have it, what are your favorite flakes?

;s-(P:hy

Emjaysmash 06-05-2012 03:39 PM

Re: Flake tobaccos ???

Favorite flakes include:

1792 by Gawith
Solani #633
Peterson's Univeristy Flake
St. James flake

TheTraveler 06-05-2012 06:04 PM

Dunhill Light Flake - can hardly go wrong with this one :pi

DaBear 06-05-2012 07:20 PM

I think everyone will agree on Peterson's University Flake, such a good standby. I'd add C&D Bayou Morning Flake, McClelland Christmas Cheer, Escudo, and a couple Latakia blends to the list. I would put more there, but they'd all end up being VAs or VaPers. :r

cigaman1979 06-06-2012 07:28 AM

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/...roduct_id=2000

I was adviced to buy this butera flake by a friend whose reviews I really appreciate.

http://images.smokingpipes.com/produ...3-010-0003.jpg

Subvet642 06-06-2012 07:34 AM

I love Peterson's Irish Flake, but I usually mix it with Ashton's Consummate Gentleman.

Zanaspus 06-09-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cigaman1979 (Post 1650221)
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/...roduct_id=2000

I was adviced to buy this butera flake by a friend whose reviews I really appreciate.

http://images.smokingpipes.com/produ...3-010-0003.jpg

Well, it's a McClelland tobacco, and they make some fine flakes so it's hard to go wrong.

Some of my Favorites:
McClelland Dark Star, Christmas Cheer, Blackwoods.
Sam Gawith 1792, Best Brown Flake, Full Virginia flake, Navy Flake, Chocolate flake
Gawith Hoggarth: Ennerdale, Dark flake (both unscented and scented)
Orlik Golden Slice.
Escudo.

Are you a virginia fan? Burley, Latakia? Knowledge of your tastes would allow me to narrow it.

Mister Moo 07-10-2012 10:56 AM

Dag... there are a lot of flake tobaccos. That's like asking which is your favorite piece of pepperoni on the last 50 pizzas I ate. Fortunately, a few (dozen) stand out.

Stokkebye Escudo
MacBaren Navy Flake
Samuel Gawith 1792, Sam's Flake, Chocolate Flake and Best Brown
Gawith & Hoggarth Bob's Chocolate Flake
Erinmore Flake

... and so on.

TheatyHannington 07-20-2012 08:15 PM

Thanks for the question and great responses. I added a couple of these to my latest order to give a taste.

RevSmoke 01-08-2013 07:22 AM

Interesting to read this now, after a few months. Thought I'd make a comment.

What McClelland often calls a flake, is actually more a broken flake. What I mean is that when you compare it to flakes from other companies, there is a huge difference.

G&H, Sam Gawith, Stokkebye, Esoterica, Rattrays, and others have flakes that come in whole and intact, though varied in size, of tobaccos "flakes" cut off the original brick. It is very obvious that they are flakes.

On the other hand, McClelland appears to take their whole slices from their bricks and break their flakes into smaller pieces. They are not cut into square pieces, but broken up into smaller "flakes" of varying sizes. Hence, I have come to call them broken flakes rather than flakes.

Just some random musings.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Emjaysmash 01-08-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevSmoke (Post 1777841)
Interesting to read this now, after a few months. Thought I'd make a comment.

What McClelland often calls a flake, is actually more a broken flake. What I mean is that when you compare it to flakes from other companies, there is a huge difference.

G&H, Sam Gawith, Stokkebye, Esoterica, Rattrays, and others have flakes that come in whole and intact, though varied in size, of tobaccos "flakes" cut off the original brick. It is very obvious that they are flakes.

On the other hand, McClelland appears to take their whole slices from their bricks and break their flakes into smaller pieces. They are not cut into square pieces, but broken up into smaller "flakes" of varying sizes. Hence, I have come to call them broken flakes rather than flakes.

Just some random musings.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

I am of the same thinking. I have often heard other call them broken flake as well.

Commander Quan 01-08-2013 09:54 AM

And then there are flakes from C&D and the other blends they produce which are indeed flakes, but are not pressed as tightly and easily break apart, sometimes when just being picked up. These usually end up being broken flakes.

RevSmoke 01-08-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commander Quan (Post 1777929)
And then there are flakes from C&D and the other blends they produce which are indeed flakes, but are not pressed as tightly and easily break apart, sometimes when just being picked up. These usually end up being broken flakes.

Esoterica Penzance has that same consistency, as do the "flakes" which come from Hearth & Home. Most often, I have seen the called "cakes" or "kakes" because of their consistency.

HermionE 01-15-2013 11:18 PM

According to the AP, the FDA has been delaying the approval process of thousands of brand new tobacco goods for the last year and a half. Have you heard about this issue? Big Tobacco says the delay is pointless since smoking products have not changed much. But anti-tobacco groups say the industry is already ignoring the process.

pnoon 01-15-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HermionE (Post 1781966)
According to the AP, the FDA has been delaying the approval process of thousands of brand new tobacco goods for the last year and a half. Have you heard about this issue? Big Tobacco says the delay is pointless since smoking products have not changed much. But anti-tobacco groups say the industry is already ignoring the process.

Say no to spam.

blendtobac 01-19-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevSmoke (Post 1777958)
Esoterica Penzance has that same consistency, as do the "flakes" which come from Hearth & Home. Most often, I have seen the called "cakes" or "kakes" because of their consistency.

All of the pressed tobaccos in the Hearth & Home line are crumble cakes, not flakes. Flakes are made from (usually) deveined whole leaf whereas crumble cakes are made from cut tobacco. We don't have the equipment and easy access to whole leaf, so we have to make cakes.

Russ

Scottw 01-19-2013 04:07 PM

I think Penzance is referred to as a "mottled flake". As far as others, I really love the FVF and the PS Navy Flake.

688sonarmen 01-19-2013 04:27 PM

Macbarren Old Dark Fired is another good flake

hazydat620 01-19-2013 11:49 PM

SG Kendall Cream, G&H Ennerdale my two favorites, oh and for the latakia fan Germains special latakia flake.

Mister Moo 01-20-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottw (Post 1783888)
I think Penzance is referred to as a "mottled flake"...

At my end of the pasture we call the Penzance texture a "crumble cake", for it's namesake, Krumble Kake. I am told Krumble Kake and Pez are on in the same outside the packaging.

http://www.smokershaven.com/ProductI...kake2oztin.jpg