Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Aquired taste? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55365)

Pseudosacred 04-29-2012 05:37 PM

Aquired taste?

So, I've read, in a few places, that people enjoy Scotch like they enjoy cigars. Well...that kind of made me want to try it.

Granted, I have 0 experiance with anything other than beer. Never had any liqour.

My friend bought a bottle of Glennfiddich 15 year (or something with 15 on it) and brought it to the B&M. I just poured some in a glass. It smelled pretty good, but I took a sip and was kind of disappointed. It kind of tasted...bad. I don't exactly know how to describe it...burnt toast? Maybe.

So, my question is, was your taste for Scotch...or any other liquour, aquired? Or was it love at first sip?

Hooligan 04-29-2012 05:41 PM

Re: Aquired taste?

If not beer than really all I can stand to drink is Vodka

macsauce13 04-29-2012 05:42 PM

haha, absolutely. And it isn't a short period of acquiring either. Liquor is an interesting liquid and I can't imagine too many people loved it on their first sip.

trendo 04-29-2012 05:49 PM

Tastes like burning:) definately an aquired taste. It may be easier to mix it with some water for a while. Even some experienced scotch drinkers will mix a little water in there. Try a scotch and soda, and you can taper the amount of soda off to meet your tastes.

CigarNut 04-29-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macsauce13 (Post 1627420)
haha, absolutely. And it isn't a short period of acquiring either. Liquor is an interesting liquid and I can't imagine too many people loved it on their first sip.

:tpd:

hammondc 04-29-2012 06:15 PM

+1 on scotch and water. Maybe try a blended before getting into single barrel stuff? Balvenie Doublewood was my gateway single malt and is still one of my favorites at any price.

chachee52 04-29-2012 06:24 PM

Never liked the Scotch and water, I usually have it with one cube of ice. It is deffinitely something that you need to play around with. I actually drank a lot of whiskeys first, and then started drinking Scotch.

mmblz 04-29-2012 06:55 PM

Start with ice, work your way to neat.
Try a few different ones - lots of different flavors out there.
Glenmorangie or Glenlivet might be a good place to start.

icehog3 04-29-2012 07:03 PM

49 years and I still haven't acquired a taste for it. :td

Pseudosacred 04-29-2012 07:06 PM

Well, at least I'm not the only one who didn't really like it on the first try! I don't want to write it off, because if it pairs well with cigars (as stated by other people) I'd like to be able to enjoy it!

mmblz 04-29-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1627459)

Tom, didn't you oh-so-briefly have a bit too much of a taste for it?

:r

pnoon 04-29-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmblz (Post 1627492)

That was Gurkha, J. :=:

Bill86 04-29-2012 07:42 PM

Love at first sip, for the most part. Scotch is good but not a favorite. I like it a lot but I prefer Bourbon, Rum or Tequila.

blugill 04-29-2012 07:43 PM

Scotch is definitely an acquired taste.
Start small if you want to do it, mostly water with a bit of scotch in it.
Then gradually increase the scotch and decrease the water. Took me a month of trying to get that far. Now I can drink it with no problems:)
It's great paired with cigars but it's individual taste. I usually drink water with cigars or sometimes coffee.
As said above, Glenlivet is a good place to start.

hotreds 04-29-2012 07:45 PM

Very much an acquired taste!

CigarNut 04-29-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1627459)

It's OK Tom -- we still like you!

icehog3 04-29-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmblz (Post 1627492)

A pint of Cutty Sark (I know, I know) on New Year's Eve at age 17. Can't even smell the stuff anymore, and I have tried a couple highly rated ones since then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 1627494)
That was Gurkha, J. :=:

That too...given the choice, I would drink Scotch. :lr

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarNut (Post 1627516)
It's OK Tom -- we still like you!

Thanks Michael!

oooo35980 04-30-2012 05:56 AM

If you like straight whiskey then I don't think Scotch in particular is an acquired taste, you either like the taste or you don't, blended scotch goes down easier but isn't nearly as "Scotch" tasting, if you get my meaning. If you aren't a straight whiskey or liquor drinker in general then ya, it could take a while.

mosesbotbol 04-30-2012 07:25 AM

For sure it's aquired as are most alcohol tastes. Alcohol is poison, so it's natural I think for the first response to be negative.

Less the alochol (beer & wine) the easier to get use to.

smitty81 04-30-2012 07:49 AM

I actually had my first scotch (over ice) the other night as well................I didn't like it either.

I drink the hard stuff and beer, like them both.

Big rum fan, love at first taste.