Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Drew Estate cancelling some of their cigars (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76925)

kingcobradude 01-25-2022 09:41 AM

Drew Estate cancelling some of their cigars

I just saw this today:
https://halfwheel.com/drew-estate-di...gar-co/404444/

357 01-25-2022 09:57 AM

Re: Drew Estate cancelling some of their cigars

So FSG line is still going to be produced but only distributed to Corona Cigar Company and their locations?

bruceolee 01-25-2022 09:57 AM

well, some will be disappointed but i've never been a huge connoisseur of the drew estates line but i do enjoy their FSG lines. making it exclusive to corona cigar doesn't really effect me so that's good but that may be bad for some others who won't be able to find them in their local B&M. God bless you all!

Brlesq 01-25-2022 10:23 AM

Not a surprise that Corona Cigar will still carry them... they own the farm land where the FSG tobacco is grown. This tobacco was originally re-introduced in 2012 (after something like a 50 year haitus) by Jeff Borysiewicz, Pres. & Founder, Corona Cigar Co. & FSG Tobacco Farm. Back then, FSG cigars were exclusive to Corona. It wasn't until 2016 when he partnered with DE for broader distribution.

357 01-25-2022 10:58 AM

The article reads like DE will still produce them but only distribute them to Corona Cigar Co.

bruceolee 01-25-2022 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 357 (Post 2229070)
The article reads like DE will still produce them but only distribute them to Corona Cigar Co.

That's exactly it. They're not stopping it, just making it exclusive. Getting FSG in Florida is easy but for many out in the rest of the country DE was the only FSG they could get ahold of short of ordering online now. They won't find it in their local B&M now. FSG is very good and unique in it's flavors. Very cubanesque to my palate

VirtualSmitty 01-25-2022 01:27 PM

Man I'm out of touch, I didn't even know they rebranded the Natural line.

Bleez 01-25-2022 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty (Post 2229078)
Man I'm out of touch, I didn't even know they rebranded the Natural line.

I kept seeing the backwards name and thought it was just a typo.

T.G 01-25-2022 10:40 PM

Quote:

Drew Estate has announced a shake-up to its extensive portfolio of cigars today. The company just informed its retailers that it is discontinuing the MUWAT line,
Wow.

I was there in Esteli with a group when they handed all of us these prototype cigars to try. Jon Drew was talking about how the cigar was more densly rolled and the weight of the leaves, etc... when one of the guys, in a bad impersonation of Al Pacino's Scarface voice, blurted out a lyric from a rap(?) song.

"My UZI, it weighs a TON..."

And that's where the name came from. Jon loved it.

...and now it's done...

I'm getting old.

kingcobradude 01-25-2022 11:25 PM

They're keeping the Kentucky fire cured. I need to see if I can get my hands on some muwats soon

Porch Dweller 01-26-2022 05:35 AM

I always liked the MUWAT Baitfish as a short smoke, but haven't had one in a couple of years. I might need to grab some while they last.

hammondc 01-26-2022 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2229104)
Wow.

I was there in Esteli with a group when they handed all of us these prototype cigars to try. Jon Drew was talking about how the cigar was more densly rolled and the weight of the leaves, etc... when one of the guys, in a bad impersonation of Al Pacino's Scarface voice, blurted out a lyric from a rap(?) song.

...and now it's done...

I'm getting old.

It's a public enemy song.

I always thought MUWAT were good. It is just a stupid name so I always avoided them because of it. SUPER petty, I know. Packaging matters in some cases. All that said....for the right price, I may just take all the bands off :-)

hammondc 01-26-2022 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porch Dweller (Post 2229112)
I always liked the MUWAT Baitfish as a short smoke, but haven't had one in a couple of years. I might need to grab some while they last.

If I find baitfish on clearance, I am buying them by the hundreds.

cmitch 01-26-2022 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2229104)
Wow.

...and now it's done...

I'm getting old.

That’s funny. I would guess most cigars get named accidentally. I was responsible for one. I was out on the patio at Cigar Room Shoals, when it once was a place to be but now a **** hole, Glen Case of Kristoff was discussing a new cigar that would be named to express their displeasure with the FDA’s new rules governing new blends and cigar sales. They really couldn’t come up with anything so I chimed in that I’d be pissed off at these new FDA rules. Glen’s eyes lit up and said, “That’s it! Pistoff Kristoff!”
Didn’t even get a free cigar out of it.-(P

longknocker 01-26-2022 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmitch (Post 2229123)
That’s funny. I would guess most cigars get named accidentally. I was responsible for one. I was out on the patio at Cigar Room Shoals, when it once was a place to be but now a **** hole, Glen Case of Kristoff was discussing a new cigar that would be named to express their displeasure with the FDA’s new rules governing new blends and cigar sales. They really couldn’t come up with anything so I chimed in that I’d be pissed off at these new FDA rules. Glen’s eyes lit up and said, “That’s it! Pistoff Kristoff!”
Didn’t even get a free cigar out of it.-(P

You Would Think You Would At Least Have A Cigar Out Of That! Great Story!:tu

CigarSquid 01-26-2022 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleez (Post 2229092)
I kept seeing the backwards name and thought it was just a typo.

Never noticed it was Natural backwards, until now. :sl

cmitch 01-26-2022 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longknocker (Post 2229125)
You Would Think You Would At Least Have A Cigar Out Of That! Great Story!:tu

I smoked one though. It’s a shame I had to pay to find out what a crappy cigar it is.