Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Being a Hockey Parent (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34758)

E.J. 08-02-2010 08:11 PM

Being a Hockey Parent

So this post has 2 parts.....

First.... The Little Man went away from Eagle gloves.... Don't know why this is disappointing to me, but it is all the same. He has had a pair on since he was 7 and now TPS.... Like always, I tell him, fit and function is key....and tossed him what was sure to be his next gloves(Eagle PPF's). Told him to try on a few pair of gloves while I chased his sister around, who was trying on every piece of equipment in the place. Anyway, came back and he had his gloves picked out... I am sure I must have given a look, because I got the response "They are what fit best, I LIKE THESE." Dad was just overruled for the first time in an equipment purchase..... (I still think the Eagle's felt better)

Second..... Just paid for this years USAHockey fee this morning. Purchased a new helmet(just because), shield(his old fishbowl was hammered), gloves and shin guards this afternoon...... Saturday I will pay this years rec hockey fees(his last year) and expect to hear shortly what this season of high school hockey(his first regular season, has been playing this Summer with the JV team) will be costing me....:rolleyes: It is a good damn thing I love this sport and being at the rink, because it is not exactly easy on my wallet.

Guess there could be worse things, right....I could be paying for travel leagues...:r (He also is going to make it into the new season in last years skates, so that is a nice treat)

In the end, I could not be happier to be working my way through this and cross my fingers that his sister catches the bug as well....

P.S. I'll get a box of cigars worth of cash out of his old stuff at the skate swap....:tu

P.S.S. 2 more years and I don't have to taxi him to practices, drop in and stick & puck.

massphatness 08-02-2010 08:12 PM

Re: Being a Hockey Parent

Paging Al ...
Posted via Mobile Device

icehog3 08-02-2010 09:57 PM

For the record, E.J, I like the Eagles too. ;)

Gophernut 08-03-2010 01:43 PM

My son just informed me that he wishes to stop playing hockey this year. He would be a 2nd year Bantam, just one season away from playing at the high school level. Started when he was 4 and after 11 season, he is not as in love with the game as he used to be, and is thinking of all the stuff that he has missed out on. He wants to ski, snowboard and do some family vacations that don't involve him playing in 3-5 games in single weekend. He switched from forward to goalie about 5 years ago, and has had some great success.
I am saddened, but at the same time proud of what he has accomplished! I am also going to miss the rink, but feel I can acclimate to a chalet setting just fine. :xxx
The sale of his equipment is going to be bittersweet as shopping for it has always been one of my favorite things to do with him.

E.J. 08-03-2010 02:42 PM

Wow Steve, my son is the same age(going into his second year of Bantam) and I am not sure how I would feel about hearing that....

Good for him to make a decision that he feels strongly about. Who knows, maybe he just needs a year off to reinvigorate. Whatever happens, I am sure it will be a fun ride for him.

I am sure warm ski lodges and fine cigars await you this season!

macsauce13 08-03-2010 02:49 PM

It could be worse. He could have been a she and a cheerleader. The money they blow through is INCREDIBLE.

Eleven 08-03-2010 02:55 PM

My kid has his first team practice of the year tonight, we leave in moments. Paying my first installment tonight too.

2nd year Peewee and he still loves it as much as he did when he was 4, he is even branching out this year and should be playing defense almost full time.

If he ever said he wanted to quit I would make sure he had all the relevant info first, and then cry alone if he really did quit. Some kids are just naturals, and you hate to see that go to waste.

In the end as long as he was truly happy and still kept busy and stayed academically healthy as well, I would support whatever decision he made.

It would still suck tho :(

Gophernut 08-03-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleven (Post 939951)
If he ever said he wanted to quit I would make sure he had all the relevant info first, and then cry alone if he really did quit. Some kids are just naturals, and you hate to see that go to waste.

In the end as long as he was truly happy and still kept busy and stayed academically healthy as well, I would support whatever decision he made.

It would still suck tho :(

Yep it sucks, but he really wants to see what is out there, he only went snowboarding once in his life and really enjoyed it, up until the part where he broke his arm. He has been on the 'A' teams for the most part and he has played on many competitive club type teams, and year round for the past 4 years. I think he burnt himself out. When he has been told by coaches that he can't snowboard, it just make him want to do it more. So I respect it, and I'll miss it. I am also bummed that Wisconsin just passed a no smoking law and will not be able to smoke cigars in the chalet anymore.

E.J. 08-03-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macsauce13 (Post 939942)
It could be worse. He could have been a she and a cheerleader. The money they blow through is INCREDIBLE.

What the heck do cheerleaders spend money on???????:r

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleven (Post 939951)
My kid has his first team practice of the year tonight, we leave in moments. Paying my first installment tonight too.

2nd year Peewee and he still loves it as much as he did when he was 4, he is even branching out this year and should be playing defense almost full time.

NICE! I love the excitement of a new season....

yourchoice 08-03-2010 03:07 PM

Enjoy the season E.J.!
Quote:

Tell me about it! My oldest had her first practice of the season yesterday. Competition cheerleading at 7....yes, 7. She and my wife love it though, so I'm happy. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.J. (Post 939957)

"Camp", sneakers, bloomers, outfits, hair accessories, gym time, mat time.....ahhhhH!

macsauce13 08-03-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.J. (Post 939957)

I dunno but I remember the girls in high school telling me about the money that goes into it. I'm not joking when I say thousands a year.:O:O:O

I will say its possible my high school friends spent more than most. They were very talented (multiple national championships) and VERY materialistic.

icehog3 08-03-2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourchoice (Post 939961)

"Camp", sneakers, bloomers, outfits, hair accessories, gym time, mat time.....ahhhhH!

Ummmm...I will bet hockey costs have you beat by a longshot, Joel. ;) :)

Gophernut 08-03-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 939984)

We figured it was at least $700 a year on goal sticks, that's buying the cheap ones! I have a place where I can buy the type he likes, non composite, for around $70 each, and he goes through about 10 of them a year. Not to mention pads, gloves, blocker, mask, chest protector, cups, etc. We found a place that leased skates so we could make sure he didn't grow out of them in one season, and have to buy them. It saved us a couple of years.

Prefy 08-03-2010 03:38 PM

Can't wait to be a hockey dad! :D

yourchoice 08-03-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 939984)

I have absolutely NO DOUBT that is true, Tom. I know hockey is a very expensive venture...from what I understand one of the most expensive for kids to be involved in. Kudos to everyone who supports their kid's activities financially and emotionally. :tu

E.J. 08-03-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourchoice (Post 940013)
Kudos to everyone who supports their kid's activities financially and emotionally. :tu

Exactly.....

J0eybb 08-03-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

I have 2 daughters, and one of them loves to dance. THe other is still a baby..... I know I am in trouble.

E.J. 08-03-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prefy (Post 940012)
Can't wait to be a hockey dad! :D

It is about as fun as it gets. The Little Man has done it all(sport wise) and there is nothing I would rather be doing with him..... I playfully ***** a little about the cost, but truly....nobody makes me purchase the things I do. I am a gearaholic that takes out my sickness on my child....

Since the start of the Summer season.....:rolleyes:

10K shin pads
10K elbow pads
S19 pants
9900 bucket w/ Bauer clear full shield
X60 stick
R8 gloves

Think there is a place I can go for help...:confused:

macsauce13 08-03-2010 04:24 PM

The bank.

E.J. 08-03-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macsauce13 (Post 940072)
The bank.

:r:r:r....oh they have been more than helpful in sending my money to Players Bench....

WyGuy 08-03-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gophernut (Post 939999)
We figured it was at least $700 a year on goal sticks, that's buying the cheap ones! I have a place where I can buy the type he likes, non composite, for around $70 each, and he goes through about 10 of them a year. Not to mention pads, gloves, blocker, mask, chest protector, cups, etc. We found a place that leased skates so we could make sure he didn't grow out of them in one season, and have to buy them. It saved us a couple of years.

I don't even want to know how much my parents spent on sticks alone between my brother and me!

Savvy 08-03-2010 04:58 PM

This threads giving me the itch for hockey season to start back up (55 days til first game). I play in a league over here in Germany, and we travel around Europe quite a bit throughout the season. Hockey's the one sport that I feel I'll always stick with as long as I can -- none of the others came close.

And I'm surely going to end up being a hockey dad when I get older, and I'm looking forward to that as well.

icehog3 08-03-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourchoice (Post 940013)
I have absolutely NO DOUBT that is true, Tom. I know hockey is a very expensive venture...from what I understand one of the most expensive for kids to be involved in. Kudos to everyone who supports their kid's activities financially and emotionally. :tu

:chr

Gophernut 08-04-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savvy (Post 940133)
And I'm surely going to end up being a hockey dad when I get older, and I'm looking forward to that as well.

http://sports.break.com/cute-mite-hockey-fight

You'll get to see things like this!

357 08-04-2010 12:14 PM

I have a few questions for you hockey parents. My son is 4 and will be starting Kindergarten in September. He turns 5 in November.

My questions are:

What age can he start playing ice hockey?

What are the expected costs (ballpark)

Should I start him out in floor or roller hockey first?

I only ask because I've never really played ice hockey. I grew up playing street hockey and indoor floor hockey. In college I played a season of roller, but only 1 game in an organized ice hockey league as a fill in. I know nothing of how youth ice hockey works.

Thanks,
Mike

E.J. 08-04-2010 12:40 PM

My :2

Quote:

Originally Posted by 357 (Post 940997)

In my backyard they can start in leagues at 6, but "Start Smart" at 5. My daughter has been skating since the age of 4 and will start the "Start Smart" program now(5). Start Smart is like hockey practice with scrimmages for the kids....no designated teams.

Quote:

Our Recreational Program's regular season(what would be considered standard hockey not travel, summer, 3-3 ect) is $300 + the USA Hockey Fee which is $40. Equipment can be had for what you want to spend. I bet you could outfit a kid with used equipment from a skate swap, including a stick for under $50....or you could spend $1500+ on gear(though that level of pricing may be difficult to hit for a 5 year old ;) ).

Quote:

I don't see a reason to do this.... Though I have never even played roller hockey.........

althekillr 08-04-2010 01:07 PM

hockey parents definately give up alot. I remember my dad waking up at 4 am on saturday monrings to make 5 am practices. that and all the expenses of gear.

Quote:

i would highly suggest private skating lessons to build a good foundation, even before hockey or at the same time if you can do both. might be good to start hockey first to build up the interest and then he will see the value of the skating lessons.

Smokin Gator 08-04-2010 01:19 PM

You guys enjoy it while you can... My son played local club soccer from 4-8. Then came travel soccer (all over the southeast) from 9-17. On top of that was middle school and high school soccer. Now he plays in college but it is so different than being able to travel and spend time at the fields. I miss it badly. Yep, it cost me a small fortune, but I wouldn't trade the memories for all the money in the world!!!

Gophernut 08-04-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

I have a few questions for you hockey parents. My son is 4 and will be starting Kindergarten in September. He turns 5 in November.

My questions are:

I only ask because I've never really played ice hockey. I grew up playing street hockey and indoor floor hockey. In college I played a season of roller, but only 1 game in an organized ice hockey league as a fill in. I know nothing of how youth ice hockey works.

Thanks,
Mike

I would check with your local hockey association. I was a board member of ours for the past 5 years, and the one thing we worked the hardest on was to increase the number of players. We did this in a couple of ways. First, we instituted a "Learn to Skate Program", then started a "Learn to Play Hockey" program. Both of these programs were inexpensive. We also had free equipment for 1st year players. After the first year, and up to the squirt level you could lease the equipment for the year for around $100. That's where I would start anyways. Either the association or the Rink manager should be able to help.

357 08-04-2010 01:40 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Any contact info for these league? Are they national organizations or just find the local deal and go?

I definitely am OK with used gear. Although I know hockey gear can and does stink like no other. We might have to get on of those steam cleaner or something. Just to clean the old funk out of the pads before giving them to my son.

Anyway,
Thanks again

E.J. 08-04-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 357 (Post 941091)
Thanks for the info guys. Any contact info for these league? Are they national organizations or just find the local deal and go?

Here you go Mike....

http://www.detroithockey.org/i-program.htm

Looks like $150 for their iProgram, all-inclusive....

BTW used gear isn't bad at all, especially with young kids...

E.J. 08-04-2010 02:55 PM

Because it is a slow work day and I am prideful....here are a few photos I have at the workplace of my experience as the Little Man has progressed through Mites, Squirts, Pee Wee, Bantam and this Summer's delve into the High School Hockey program.... It is "fairly" chronological, but not 100%.... There are missing years, but the first 2 are his first year if I recall correctly....

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/4...ygame21022.jpg

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7334/lmoldschool1.jpg

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/9...p0009small.jpg

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/7...03edited41.jpg

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/6267/92717151.jpg

E.J. 08-04-2010 02:58 PM

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/5285/summerseason2.jpg

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/6174/ratings1.jpg

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/9327/febgame7.jpg

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2571/mhockey4.jpg

There was a time that the Little Man wanted to be between the pipes.... He liked that long enough that it cost me a set of pads... He did it every summer for a bit....

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4376/xg1.jpg

Gophernut 08-04-2010 03:32 PM

Awesome Pics! As I think about it more and more, I am sure going to miss watching the boy play!

Eleven 08-04-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks,
Mike

From my experience with Detroit parents, I think most get their kids on the ice sometime in the first trimester.

;)

ahc4353 08-04-2010 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massphatness (Post 938713)
Paging Al ...
Posted via Mobile Device

I have no idea where to begin.

357 08-05-2010 06:44 AM

E.J. - Thanks for the links and the great pics. My wife and I are so excited for our son to get into sports, especially hockey. I will post some pics when I can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleven (Post 941373)
From my experience with Detroit parents, I think most get their kids on the ice sometime in the first trimester.

;)

Yeah, there are a lot of hockey parents in the Detroit area. Heck we had three NHL owners in town until recently (Wings, Canes, Lightening). Unfortunately I never really played ice hockey. I'm planning on making sure my son gets that opportunity starting as young as he can. :tu

Ahbroody 08-05-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E.J. (Post 940068)
It is about as fun as it gets. The Little Man has done it all(sport wise) and there is nothing I would rather be doing with him..... I playfully ***** a little about the cost, but truly....nobody makes me purchase the things I do. I am a gearaholic that takes out my sickness on my child....

Think there is a place I can go for help...:confused:

Dont feel bad brother I got the gear sickness bad. I dont even play anymore and have three pairs of skates. My son whos 4 has a pair of 130.00 Grafs :banger My wife was a little upset.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gophernut (Post 940970)
http://sports.break.com/cute-mite-hockey-fight

You'll get to see things like this!

thats cute. My boy actually got into it the other day on the ice. I had to talk to him. Some crosschecking started.

Ahbroody 08-05-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

My questions are:

Thanks,
Mike

Mike just wanted to chime in also. Everyone has there own views on things. It is a lot of learn as you go though. I have picked Als brain and talked to many others. Each child is very different and you need to know your child and experiment to see what works.

1)Micah started playing ice at 3.5 He was pretty much the youngest kid though and there was good and bad about that. It definelty pushed him. If he will be 5 when the season starts thats more then old enough. Micah will be turning 5 during his second season.

2)Should be a lot cheaper for you, but out here it was about 1k for the season. regardless of age. So when you see the cost just remember it could be worse.

3) I stated Micah roller blading at about 2.5. He didnt ice skate till 3. I felt it helped him a lot with ice. I am about to do the samething with my middle daughter. Actually I start them in a 4 wheel plastic skate so they learn balance and push. Then a roller blade, then an ice skate.

Cause we are sharing heres a video from May for summer league. He is wearing 25 in the video. He was being lazy unless he had the puck. Sometimes he skates hrd sometimes he doesnt. At 4 I am just happy he loves skating and I never have to encourage him. You will see some parents do things at the rink that makes you shake your head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyob7dfiEw4

E.J. 08-05-2010 07:38 PM

That is stinking awesome Mike! Good stuff.....

That age is so fun!

E.J. 08-05-2010 07:41 PM

I'm off to another game.... Second round of the playoffs!

E.J. 08-05-2010 10:42 PM

Well....that didn't work out the way we planned...:td. Guess we have to make it through the losers bracket... Dropped them to 1-1 in the playoffs....
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8...ayoffgame2.jpg
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/2...ayoffgame3.jpg
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/753/playoffgame5.jpg

Ahbroody 08-05-2010 10:58 PM

Holy crap!!!!
Number 12 is wearing Bauer 2000's I think from 03 and those Nike Ignites number 9 has are from 2001. Sorry gear whore took over.

Sorry about the Loss.
Love the Fishbowl. Micahs is scratched pretty good after one year I need to get him a new one.

Ahbroody 08-14-2010 05:54 PM

I have definetly found something that is frustrating about the minimite level. Peoples shiiiiitass kids.

Some of you I spoke with privately about a kid we had in the league who sucked and instead of trying to play would skate around running kids from behind and boarding them. He was little and weak on his skates so even though he was dangerous he wasnt to dangerous. An anonymous email was sent to the league head and the child and father were called in and told they would be banned if it occurred again. This child has now been much better.

That said a new kid has decided to start crosschecking kids from behind. Again another poor skater. Today his mom who is clearly a model citizen :r was filming her kid and a group of us decided to discuss some kids issues with crosschecking. She gave a dirty look. After the boy went after Micah I called him over and right infront of her said "hey if that boy keeps crosschecking you its okay for you to defend yourself" . This women gave me a very dirty look. After the game she again scowled at me when she walked by.

Looking back I am kind of regreting this. I generally tell Micah just skate harder if someone bothers him. I know these kids tend to get weeded out naturaley, but its just irritating. Clearly Micah being so young and not understanding why the kid crosschecked him and how to handle it adds to my frustration as his parent. I guess this is the downside of having your kids start so young and play with 6-7 year olds. next year I know this wont be an issue.

You dads with experience how did you address it

macsauce13 08-14-2010 06:04 PM

OK, im not a parent, nor do I know much about hockey (so basically completely unqualified for this), but I am a second generation college baseball player, and I can tell you that from YOUR end of the deal, IMO you should teach him to be CONSTANTLY above reproach. He's going to figure out what he can get away with and how he can handle things on the ice, what he needs is for you to teach him the honor and the respect that will not only shape his hockey career, but will extend deep into his life.

Tell him to get good, clean, hard checks and to NEVER allow himself to make a single dirty play. Its about integrity, about doing it the right way, and being better than everyone else without stooping low.

YMMV :)

Ahbroody 08-14-2010 11:08 PM

Mac I will be having a talk with him tomorrow, to tell him dad was wrong, but mainly because hes too young to understand what I was telling him. I knew right after I did it I shouldnt have. I think I partly did to jack the mom up.

I played bball through H.S. and played rec hockey as an adult. The games are very different. There is a lot of self policing in hockey. The game is more fluid and there is a lot of roughousing(sp) on the ice as kids try to establish a pecking order. You wouldnt think little kids would do this, but trust me. Just as in school and life some kids try to bully other kids. The coaches largely let this go as its kind of part of the game. Unless it becomes dangerous. You need to learn to deal with it. Its part of why hockey is one of the best sports to have kids play. So really the issue becomes how you want your kid to deal with someone bullying them. As I said though Micah is really to young to grasp whats going on and I should not have told him to go back after the kid.
Al had told me last year having him start playing at 3 may not be a good idea. I suspect this may have been part of the reason. While he improved greatly skill wise he doesnt grasp everything going on at times. I am sure toward the end of the comming season things like this wont be an issue as he will turn 5 and figure some of this out. But hey this is the hockey parent banter and a good lesson for people with little ones.

Ahbroody 08-15-2010 12:07 AM

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/weekend-blowout.html
Some good deals especailly if out of state of CA and not paying taxes.

E.J. 08-16-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahbroody (Post 953364)
I have definetly found something that is frustrating about the minimite level. Peoples shiiiiitass kids.

Some of you I spoke with privately about a kid we had in the league who sucked and instead of trying to play would skate around running kids from behind and boarding them. He was little and weak on his skates so even though he was dangerous he wasnt to dangerous. An anonymous email was sent to the league head and the child and father were called in and told they would be banned if it occurred again. This child has now been much better.

That said a new kid has decided to start crosschecking kids from behind. Again another poor skater. Today his mom who is clearly a model citizen :r was filming her kid and a group of us decided to discuss some kids issues with crosschecking. She gave a dirty look. After the boy went after Micah I called him over and right infront of her said "hey if that boy keeps crosschecking you its okay for you to defend yourself" . This women gave me a very dirty look. After the game she again scowled at me when she walked by.

Looking back I am kind of regreting this. I generally tell Micah just skate harder if someone bothers him. I know these kids tend to get weeded out naturaley, but its just irritating. Clearly Micah being so young and not understanding why the kid crosschecked him and how to handle it adds to my frustration as his parent. I guess this is the downside of having your kids start so young and play with 6-7 year olds. next year I know this wont be an issue.

You dads with experience how did you address it

Are the leagues no check? Kids can’t check here until Pee Wee(11-12 Y/O). IMO, though I think there can be blame shared with parents, I think the offending kids coach should be shouldering the majority of the bame here. The issue should be addressed with the coach, first from the ref on the ice and if it continued, from the president of the league.

Coaches at this age are there to teach the kids the game, not win. If there are kids that are not playing the game as it should be played, it is 100% their responsibility to change that. If they have problems, they should address it with the parents and come to an understanding that if the kid cannot play the game within the rules, he/she will not see the ice.

I never have had much issue with this type of stuff. 2 years ago the Little Man did get suspended a game for addressing an issue on the ice. In a perfect world, it wouldn’t have happened, but I was not mad at him, nor embarrassed at the behavior….:2

Ahbroody 08-16-2010 10:17 PM

Couple of things.
This really seems to be more of an issue at the minimite level as the kids dont follow directions as well, dont stay focused, and well some of them just need to have some actual parenting done.

Its no check as I dont know a league in the country that allows checks prior to Pee Wee. Your league may be different but out here the games often resemble a bunch of monkeys trying to fock a football. There is minimal refing and in the summer the league actually doesnt have dads for coaches, but instead the 20 year old kids run the practices and games. So things definelty are poorly run. During the regular season we were very active in actively controling the kids.

I was pretty proud of micah today they had 1/2hr practice 1/2hr game. In practice the kid was skating around looking for someone to bother. At one point during line drills he skated over towards Micah. Micah said something to him and skated over to some friends. During the game he got a pretty nice breakaway goal.

Fees were released today. $1045 for the season. Just seems wrong to pay that much for a 4 year old to play ice hockey.

E.J. 08-16-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahbroody (Post 956017)
Fees were released today. $1045 for the season. Just seems wrong to pay that much for a 4 year old to play ice hockey.

OUCH....

I'll consider myself lucky to be at $750 total for Bantam Rec and High School......

Just back from a game tonight(scrimmage against another local HS JV team).... Good tie if there is one.... Down 4-1 going into the third and pulled it to 4-4. Little Man was +2....

No games on the schedule for at least 3-4 weeks..... Word is the HS are trying to secure ice time and will have dryland training 3 * a week starting the 30th....... Assume rec will start in a month....
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4743/jb1e.jpg