Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Second Firearm Thread... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=70487)

Remo 04-29-2016 07:42 AM

Re: Second Firearm Thread...

Nice score Hal :tu

Remo 04-29-2016 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 2085270)
I was amazed at the difference it made when I actually spent the money on a quality belt instead of trying to get by with a "regular" dress type belt!

Ya, I wear a Tru-Spec belt and I love it, great belt, great price. I have a tan one for work and a black for off duty.

G G 04-29-2016 02:33 PM

Speaking of belts...... I have used a cheap 1.5 inch leather belt I bought from a leather store for years. My EDC is a Smith and Wesson E Series fullsize 1911. I did buy an awesome IWB from pantherconcealment.com and have been very happy with it. I can carry the 45 all day with no discomfort and cover it with a T-Shirt most of the time or a polo shirt with no problem. I just bought an Aker reinforced gun belt and it came in a couple days ago. I haven't had a chance to actually carry with it yet cause I am on a 48 hour shift. But I did put it on and wear it for 10 or 15 minutes while sitting and standing and it makes a huge difference.

HK3- 04-29-2016 05:02 PM

And this one today. Limited run using the old tooling.

[IMG]http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/IMG_3393.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/IMG_3394.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/IMG_3395.jpg[/IMG]

M1903A1 04-29-2016 07:04 PM

I'd be surprised if that really was from "the old tooling" (that they would have been sitting on since 1945) as opposed to CNC machining...that said, these M1903s and M1908s are true icons, every bit as much as an M1911. :tu

HK3- 04-30-2016 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1903A1 (Post 2085362)
I'd be surprised if that really was from "the old tooling" (that they would have been sitting on since 1945) as opposed to CNC machining...that said, these M1903s and M1908s are true icons, every bit as much as an M1911. :tu

You are probably right. Colt has licensed another company to do this along with others. It's a program they are starting to bring back some of the old stuff like the 1908.

Steve 05-10-2016 12:58 PM

So, here's something I have been wondering about for a while...appendix carry.

I realize that as I have grown older my six pack has picked up a couple of extra bottles making it more uncomfortable for me (and a lot less sexy than some of the pictures of the young female "tactical" models that are sporting it in their tight waistbands) to carry it in the appendix position. But besides the physical discomfort, it seems like carrying in the front violates the rule of muzzle management. When I carry at 4:00, if I'm drawings my weapon or in some other may manage to accidentally discharge, worst case I have powder burns on my backside and possibly donate some unneeded flesh. If that happens carrying in the front, Fred and the Flintstones are GONE! Not to mention a fairly large artery that runs nearby.

I understand that it is harder to have it taken away in the appendix position, but I can also lock it down with my strong arm while deploying a backup device if someone was able to somehow creep up undetected and make a play for it. But, as I am less likely these days of encountering close quarters battles as I once was, and am more interested in protecting my family and those around me from an active shooter, I don't worry too much about having my pistol taken from me.

So, is it just another fad, or am I missing something?

Remo 05-10-2016 02:33 PM

Steve,

I have no issue carrying either way, some people are concerned with reholstering while appendix carrying, my thought is once it is in it will stay in unless there is a need to use my weapon which is very rare when carrying concealed, if it were needed it is probably not going back in for awhile and then it will be put back in a safe manner.

Some tool bags that pull there gun out all the time to show it off, maybe they shouldn't carry appendix, but on the plus side maybe if they have a negligent discharge they won't be reproducing :tu

Steve 05-11-2016 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remo (Post 2086810)
Steve,

I have no issue carrying either way...

But remember Mike, you're one of those buff young studs with a six-pack of titanium...:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remo (Post 2086810)
Steve,

Some tool bags that pull there gun out all the time to show it off, maybe they shouldn't carry appendix, but on the plus side maybe if they have a negligent discharge they won't be reproducing :tu

Good point, one can hope!

I guess being an FOG, I'm still kind of cautious with striker-fired guns. That's what concerns me personally about an accidental discharge. I know enough to keep my finger clear, but I still am a little mistrusting of something mechanical going wrong. Not really a rational fear these days probably, but as an older guy growing up with 1911s and revolvers...

But I'm with you, if the gun comes out, I figure it will be out for a while, and if I have to partially disrobe to put it back in the holster, what's the rush? Action will be over then :tu

Remo 05-11-2016 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 2086898)
But remember Mike, you're one of those buff young studs with a six-pack of titanium...:D

Good point, one can hope!

I guess being an FOG, I'm still kind of cautious with striker-fired guns. That's what concerns me personally about an accidental discharge. I know enough to keep my finger clear, but I still am a little mistrusting of something mechanical going wrong. Not really a rational fear these days probably, but as an older guy growing up with 1911s and revolvers...

But I'm with you, if the gun comes out, I figure it will be out for a while, and if I have to partially disrobe to put it back in the holster, what's the rush? Action will be over then :tu

That being said, I doubt I would appendix carry a 1911, my S&W or a Glock, no worries.

Steve 05-11-2016 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remo (Post 2086903)
That being said, I doubt I would appendix carry a 1911, my S&W or a Glock, no worries.

:tu

HK3- 05-19-2016 02:22 AM

Made it out to the range yesterday with my parents and two of my friends. We put lots of lead down range and had a blast doing so. Took a picture of my latest wheel gun that I put my first rounds through. It shot great but I think I will enjoy it more once I get a red dot sight for it.
[IMG]http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/IMG_3505.jpg[/IMG]

AdamJoshua 05-23-2016 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So finally broke down and picked up a gun. After much back and forth I decided to grab a Henry Lever Action Frontier model, just for range shooting and plinking. Before I even had it I ordered the large loop for it and got them both on the same day. Today I broke it down, installed the large loop lever and now just waiting on the right dove converter for the red dot sight, it's just for range fun, but the eyes aren't what they used to be so the red dot just makes it easier to target things. Super fun gun for all ages and to quote My Cousin Vinny, it's balls on accurate, with just the iron sites. What can I say, I've had my fill of pistols and M-16s in the military (and TOWs even), now I like wheel guns and lever action rifles ... it's all very cowboys and indians.

I will say breaking it all down the first time was a bit of a pain in the ass, the videos online tend to suck, the Henry videos sucked the most actually, so there was a bit of frustration getting the lever set right with the locking bar, hopefully 2nd time around will be less so.

Next gun will be a revolver not sure what, while I love the S&W 686 (.357 / .38 special), I might go with a .22 there as well, again it's just for fun and when I go shooting I like to shoot a lot, which can get expensive with a lot of calibers. I actually wanted a Mare's Leg, but of course those are illegal in the liberal republic of California.

Remo 05-23-2016 04:56 PM

Need to get into some cowboy action shooting competition :tu

AdamJoshua 05-23-2016 06:02 PM

Well first you need the appropriate guns or have someone handy to borrow from, then you need a gun belt and holsters which holy geez those are expensive (well you know good hand tooled ones ;) ) then you need lots of ammo and fees, so you can see where this might be prohibitive having just been laid off. :lr

Remo 05-23-2016 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua (Post 2088927)
Well first you need the appropriate guns or have someone handy to borrow from, then you need a gun belt and holsters which holy geez those are expensive (well you know good hand tooled ones ;) ) then you need lots of ammo and fees, so you can see where this might be prohibitive having just been laid off. :lr

Excuses, excuses :)

AdamJoshua 05-23-2016 06:38 PM

Shh *shifty eyes*

Seriously though I have been watching vids on Youtube, looks like a lot of fun, there was one with a a kid's spring rocking horse that was the first station, they had to ride the horse and shoot at some targets, that's awesome :lr

Remo 05-23-2016 07:37 PM

Ya, never done it but it does look like fun, especially if you can smoke cigars :tu

AdamJoshua 05-23-2016 07:43 PM

at least a cheroot ala the man with no name