Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I need help!!!please (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30393)

tomc3084 03-30-2010 05:09 AM

I need help!!!please

Hey guys, thanks for looking....about a month ago I bought a wine cooler, non thermoelectric from a good buddy of mine. I have 65% beads in it...Up until recently I wasnt sure of my RH because I had a analog hydrometer that I assumed was of, which it was...anyways I want my humidor to be at artound 65 top and 63 bottm(bottom is always 2-3 points lower than top)...but it seems i cant keep it under 70/68 even if I take the beads out and leave the door open for a min or two to let the humidity somewhat out...anyways since it's not thermo should I leave it unplugged, I guess what Im asking is if I plug it in will the RH drop substantially? Any suggestiona would be greatly appreciated!!!

lightning9191 03-30-2010 07:16 AM

Re: I need help!!!please

I suggest purchasing a digital hygrometer, salt testing it, and then recheck your humidity. How are your cigars smoking/feeling?

CigarNut 03-30-2010 07:32 AM

:tpd:-- get a digital hygro, test and calibrate it.

Also, taking your beads out and leaving the door open is not a good idea. Make sure your beads are doing what you want -- put them in a ziplock with the new, tested, calibrated hygro and see what RH they are at.

Also I can't tell you whether you should leave the cooler powered off, but you should make sure that the drain plug is sealed up. You want to make sure that your unit is sealed.

tomc3084 03-30-2010 08:18 AM

i have a digi now, and it's reading perfect, but my rh too high

tomc3084 03-30-2010 08:19 AM

my cigars are smoking well but cant high rh cause them to taste diff, any other suggestions, thanks !

CigarNut 03-30-2010 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomc3084 (Post 810515)
i have a digi now, and it's reading perfect, but my rh too high

What kind of beads do you have? You should verify that they are still working correctly (e.g., that they are at the right RH).

lightning9191 03-30-2010 10:41 AM

The percentage of wet vs dry beads is important. When I soak my 65% beads, it is no problem hitting 70% +. I try to keep mine around 50/50. How are your beads?

tomc3084 04-08-2010 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarNut (Post 810559)
What kind of beads do you have? You should verify that they are still working correctly (e.g., that they are at the right RH).

How do I test my beads...is there some bead test I have overlooked?

CigarNut 04-08-2010 07:13 AM

Put them in a ziplock bag, tupperware (rubbermaid), or other sealed container with a (recently tested) hygrometer and check the humidity. Depending upon the quantity of beads and size of the container you should know within an hour or so what RH the beads are at.