Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   how low would u go for a cup (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9340)

GoodFella 01-31-2009 05:46 PM

how low would u go for a cup

every time i travel i have a hard time getting a good cup of coffe. i need my coffee to get going in the AM. the so the question is- where do u draw the line at coffee. would u drink the free stuff that is in most hotel rooms, starbuck or other coffee chains. or do u hold out till u know u can get a good cup.

Most of the time i will just hit up a chain and get some espresso to get a good boost. i wont tuch the free stuff in the room. i have thought about bringing my own coffee to brew in the room but i dont trust the coffee maker in the room (more the person who used it before me).

Mister Moo 01-31-2009 06:10 PM

Re: how low would u go for a cup

Carrying my own mokapot, fresh grounds and MSR single burner gas stove is pretty much my limit. Good for car or motorcycle; gas can is not ideally suited to travel by commercial air carrier.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/4b227285.jpg

GoodFella 01-31-2009 06:14 PM

^^^^
now thats is a cool idea. that may be a little much for me to pack on some of my trips but i do bring my moka pot to work alot and i have brought it to herfs before. the burner idea is realy cool

dunng 01-31-2009 06:16 PM

Usually I just hit Starbucks and deal... :ss

Cigary 01-31-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 207366)
Carrying my own mokapot, fresh grounds and MSR single burner gas stove is pretty much my limit. Good for car or motorcycle; gas can is not ideally suited to travel by commercial air carrier.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/4b227285.jpg

I wish I had all of the toys that Mister Moo has. Can you really use this on a trip on your motorcycle? I have a nice touring bike and I never thought they had something like this. Lizard Lick? For real?

Mister Moo 01-31-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigary (Post 207454)
...use this on a trip on your motorcycle? Lizard Lick? For real?

Yes - bike moka is fast and easy; Mrs. Moo and I like it for b'fast on trips. I like it midday on long trips to keep alert/wired if there are no better choices. GL1800 may have a little more storage than you're used to but the gear is very compact.

Yes - Lizard Lick (unincorporated, Wake County) is east of Raleigh and north of Wendell. Come by or we'll meet in SC for a stogie and a coffee.

ashtonlady 01-31-2009 09:30 PM

I deal with what is there for my first cup. And then move on to something much better. But I want to get a hot pot and bring my press and my own ground coffee. That will travel anywhere.

yourchoice 01-31-2009 09:54 PM

How low? Wow, reminding me of a cup I had last winter.

My family remodeled our shore-house deck at the Jersey Shore last summer and a few of us went down to measure, brainstorm, and generally just figure things out before we got started. It was cold, the heat was off, but the electric was still on. After about an hour we decided to brew a pot of coffee to warm us up. The only grounds we had were stale Maxwell House from who knows when, and we had no choice but to brew it in a 1980's model Mr. Coffee. That was by far the lowest I've ever gone. BAAAAAAAD! :pu

DocLogic77 01-31-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodFella (Post 207333)
every time i travel i have a hard time getting a good cup of coffe. i need my coffee to get going in the AM. the so the question is- where do u draw the line at coffee. would u drink the free stuff that is in most hotel rooms, starbuck or other coffee chains. or do u hold out till u know u can get a good cup.

Most of the time i will just hit up a chain and get some espresso to get a good boost. i wont tuch the free stuff in the room. i have thought about bringing my own coffee to brew in the room but i dont trust the coffee maker in the room (more the person who used it before me).

My need for caffeine > My need for good coffee.

So, I have and will go pretty low to get my early mornin' caffeine.

Studebaker 02-01-2009 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocLogic77 (Post 207684)
My need for caffeine > My need for good coffee.

So, I have and will go pretty low to get my early mornin' caffeine.

Same here. When I'm traveling I fill the room coffeemaker before I go to bed so all I have to do is hit the switch when I get up. I'll drink those two sorry cups just to keep me going until I can get out of the room and find something better. I really try not to think about where that coffeemaker's been.

mi2az 02-01-2009 06:55 AM

I am a whore, I will drink anything with caffeine..

Gargoyle 02-01-2009 07:11 AM

Coffee is like oxygen... whether I'm breathing the clean country air or a mouthful of polluted exhaust from a truck driving by inthe city... I have no choice but to breath. The same is true for coffee. If the best thing available tastes like warm water run over burnt peanut shells, I'll do it.

I'd say time is the major factor. If a crappy coffee is available, but a better cup can be had 20 minutes later... I'll wait for the better cup.

Vancouver_alex 02-01-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodFella (Post 207333)
so the question is- where do u draw the line at coffee. would u drink the free stuff that is in most hotel rooms, starbuck or other coffee chains.

i never trust that the person before me in the room didnt piss in the coffee machine for a joke:( ....and i doubt that the cleaning staff runs disinfectant through the machines daily(or ever)....so i just suck it up and suffer with whatever the coffee in the place im visiting has to offer...that includes suffering @ starburnts

King James 02-01-2009 09:56 AM

I home roast as well, but if unable to drink that will settle for starbucks.

GoodFella 02-01-2009 08:31 PM

lol guys. it sound like caffeine wins just about every time

JaKaacH 02-01-2009 08:51 PM

Get one of these Bodum combo cup/press.
http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.as...FUMJH5XXS32T85
All you need then is your favorite ground coffee and a good source of hot water. The hotel lobby would probably be the safest.

ashtonlady 02-01-2009 09:18 PM

Or this would work. http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.as...FUMJH5XXS32T85

Fumes 02-02-2009 06:35 PM

Cheap-but-honest hotel room/convenience store Robusta Blend is okay if there's no decent alternative. Starbucks is not a decent alternative.

replicant_argent 02-02-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashtonlady (Post 209317)

pretty tortuous ad copy on that one.

I got a bodum insulated one cupper (10-12 oz or so) cup/press at Target a few years back, it was plastic and about 10 bucks. I haven't thought about using it in a very long time.

Mister Moo 02-03-2009 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant_argent (Post 211053)
...one cupper (10-12 oz or so) cup/press at Target a few years back, it was plastic and about 10 bucks. I haven't thought about using it in a very long time.

Same. Got a Planetary Design press cup (very cool looking, with hollow base to hold a bonus cop of grinds) but find it impractical. Dusty.