Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=944)

Waynegro1 01-18-2009 01:38 AM

Re: What are you reading?
 
"Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius, translated by Gregory Hays. I've read different translations, but this is my favorite.

Seanohue 01-22-2009 11:14 AM

Re: What are you reading?
 
About 100 pages into Dirty Snow by Simenon right now. I actually like this depressing story lol.

pnoon 01-22-2009 11:16 AM

Re: What are you reading?
 
The Sleeping Doll by Jeffrey Deaver

Cigargal 01-22-2009 11:29 AM

Re: What are you reading?
 
Finished Sharpe's Trafalgar by Cornwell and now on to Wally Lamb. I may read something short and fluffy first. This book is huge.

Starscream 01-22-2009 11:46 AM

Re: What are you reading?
 
Still working on The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: Vol. 1.

MedicCook 01-22-2009 11:47 AM

Re: What are you reading?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by andysutherland (Post 184530)
Still working on The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: Vol. 1.

I have the complete Sherlock Holmes works. It was copied directly from the original publication so it has the old school look to it. I have gotten about 3/4" of the way through the book. I am in the Return of Sherlock Holmes section now.

Starscream 01-22-2009 11:49 AM

Re: What are you reading?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MedicCook (Post 184537)
I have the complete Sherlock Holmes works. It was copied directly from the original publication so it has the old school look to it. I have gotten about 3/4" of the way through the book. I am in the Return of Sherlock Holmes section now.

What's your favorite story so far?

MedicCook 01-22-2009 11:56 AM

Re: What are you reading?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by andysutherland (Post 184541)
What's your favorite story so far?

I enjoyed 'The Red-Headed League' mainly because I am ginger. I also like 'The Hound of the Baskervilles'. That was his longest story he wrote.

Hers is the ne I have. The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes.

ActionAndy 01-22-2009 11:56 AM

Re: What are you reading?
 
Just finished a few Vonnegut books last week (Cat's Cradle, Breakfast of Champions, and Slaughterhouse 5) and this week I'm re-reading Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien. Very good book about soldiers in/returning from Vietnam. Also teaches you a lot about how to write.

Gophernut 01-22-2009 11:58 AM

Re: What are you reading?
 
About half way through "Memorial Day" by Vince Flynn. Good stuff.

MedicCook 01-22-2009 12:01 PM

Re: What are you reading?
 
My reading decreases in the winter. I prefer to be sitting outside in the sun with a cigar, a drink and a book. This summer I knocked off the entire Stephen King 'Gunslinger' series. Those are great books.

Starscream 01-22-2009 12:17 PM

Re: What are you reading?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MedicCook (Post 184559)
I enjoyed 'The Red-Headed League' mainly because I am ginger. I also like 'The Hound of the Baskervilles'. That was his longest story he wrote.

Hers is the ne I have. The Original Illustrated Sherlock Holmes.

Red-headed League wasn't bad. I haven't gotten as far as The Hound of the Baskervilles yet. I'm realy fond of his first story, "A Study in Scarlet".

Cigargal 01-22-2009 12:34 PM

Re: What are you reading?
 
Hound of the Baskerville's is one of my favs. The original movie was great as well...but my favorite Basil movie was The Musgrave manor. I never got into Jeremy Brett-will have to rent some DVD's.

I read the entire canon when I was in college( long time ago) I will have to read them again. I have the complete Annotated illustrated Sherlock-printed in columns like in the newspaper.

Kreth 01-22-2009 12:39 PM

Re: What are you reading?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MedicCook (Post 184574)
This summer I knocked off the entire Stephen King 'Gunslinger' series. Those are great books.

I kinda thought he phoned in the last couple. I liked the series as a whole, but I thought the last two books didn't live up to the rest.

MedicCook 01-22-2009 12:42 PM

Re: What are you reading?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreth (Post 184677)
I kinda thought he phoned in the last couple. I liked the series as a whole, but I thought the last two books didn't live up to the rest.

I agree that the last couple were not as good as the first couple but I contribute that to the fact that he almost died and he relized that at the pace he was going he may never finish the series and the last thing he wanted was to leave it unfinished.

Kreth 01-22-2009 12:47 PM

Re: What are you reading?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MedicCook (Post 184685)
I agree that the last couple were not as good as the first couple but I contribute that to the fact that he almost died and he relized that at the pace he was going he may never finish the series and the last thing he wanted was to leave it unfinished.

Good point. I'm a fan of Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time series, and he passed away from a rare blood disease before finishing. There's another author writing the final book based on Jordan's notes.

MedicCook 01-22-2009 12:50 PM

Re: What are you reading?
 
I had to take a break form King after reading all 7 Gunslinger books this summer. That is when I started the Holmes book with all the Strand Magazine stories. The last book I read was 'Call the Yankees My Daddy' by former Yankees beat witer Cecil Harris. I have started to read 'The Highest Mountain: Death and Life in the Adirondacks" by David J. Pitkin.

Fumes 01-22-2009 07:37 PM

Re: What are you reading?
 
The Ax by Donald Westlake. What happens when you take downsizing a little too literally.

macpappy 01-22-2009 10:05 PM

Re: What are you reading?
 
Read "Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose and followed that with "Biggest Brother: The Life or Major Dick Winters, The Man Who Led The Band of Brothers" by Larry Alexander

Beer Doctor 01-22-2009 10:31 PM

Re: What are you reading?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by macpappy (Post 185673)
Read "Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose and followed that with "Biggest Brother: The Life or Major Dick Winters, The Man Who Led The Band of Brothers" by Larry Alexander

I loved Band of Brothers! I followed it by reading D-Day by Stephen Ambrose.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.