Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Pumpkin Beers (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36506)

ChicagoWhiteSox 09-18-2010 10:24 AM

Pumpkin Beers

I love the fall season, and the beers that go along with fall, and a good pumpkin ale and cigar are a great combo. What are your favorite pumpkin ales? And maybe a cigar/beer combo?

I had a DFH Punkin ale that a friend gifted to me, and an Avo #9. Both were good:tu

awsmith4 09-18-2010 10:27 AM

Re: Pumpkin Beers

I've tried a bunch this year, so far my favorite has been Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin but Pumpking and DFH Punkin' were good too. A local brewery, Terrapin, has a hybrid oktoberfest/pumpkin brew called Pumpkinfest tht is also pretty decent.

BeerAdvocate 09-18-2010 10:49 AM

Ofallon and Schlafly Pumpkin ale are my favorites. I dont like ones that are over spiced.

BlackDog 09-18-2010 11:01 AM

I'vre got 2 bottles of Pumking, but am planning to save them for later in the season. I found last year that I liked it better on Thanksgiving than I did in September. I think the alcohol cooled off a bit.

Yesterday I almost picked up some Weyerbacher Imperial Pumkin, but at $12 per 4 pack I decided to hold off.

BeerAdvocate 09-18-2010 11:09 AM

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumkin is good, but I dont think its worth $12

pektel 09-18-2010 11:10 AM

Anyone tried the Blue Moon pumpkin brew yet? It's called Harvest Moon or something like that.

awsmith4 09-18-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog (Post 992896)
I'vre got 2 bottles of Pumking, but am planning to save them for later in the season. I found last year that I liked it better on Thanksgiving than I did in September. I think the alcohol cooled off a bit.

Yesterday I almost picked up some Weyerbacher Imperial Pumkin, but at $12 per 4 pack I decided to hold off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate (Post 992903)
Weyerbacher Imperial Pumkin is good, but I dont think its worth $12

I don't think I paid over 8 or 9 for mine, guess state taxes vary

BeerAdvocate 09-18-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pektel (Post 992904)
Anyone tried the Blue Moon pumpkin brew yet? It's called Harvest Moon or something like that.

It sucks. Taste like water with cinnamon and nutmeg

neoflex 09-18-2010 11:41 AM

Brooklyn Brewerys.

twenty5 09-18-2010 11:46 AM

Just picked up some DFH, Weyerbacher, magic hat and blue moon seasonals this morning. So far the DFH punkin is great and the harvest moon has been better than I thought it would be.

Coach Deg 09-18-2010 11:53 AM

Sarnac has pumpkin ale and octoberfest. Both are ok. Not great not bad! The harvest moon is not a pumpkin but it is an octoberfest. Ok( IMO) for an octoberfest!

MikeyC 09-18-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pektel (Post 992904)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate (Post 992915)

:tpd:

Absolutely awful stuff. I'm still trying to figure out why anyone likes anything with a Blue Moon label on it.

Smuttynose a brewery from Maine (I think) does a great Pumpkin Ale. I also like the new Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale. The downside with the SA Pumpkin is that they only sell it in the Harvest Collection mix pack. It's a pretty great mix pack, but I'd like to be able to just get the pumpkin.

yourchoice 09-18-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awsmith4 (Post 992855)
.... so far my favorite has been Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin

Weyerbacher's is awesome. I get it for around $9 also.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyC (Post 992932)
:Smuttynose a brewery from Maine (I think) does a great Pumpkin Ale.

I'll have to see if my local has it. ...and Smuttynose is from New Hampshire, I believe. Their IPA is one of my favorite affordable IPAs.

pektel 09-18-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate (Post 992915)

So glad I didn't buy it. They had it sitting by the checkout, and I almost grabbed it. I don't really care for blue moon either. Just saw a bunch of talk on here about pumpkin brews, and thought I would like to try one.

WyGuy 09-18-2010 12:42 PM

I've had a few so far this fall. So, are I've enjoyed the Dogfish Head Punkin Ale and Pumking the best. Post Road Pumpkin Ale and Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale aren't to bad either.

Bill86 09-18-2010 01:34 PM

I've had DFH and Schlafly. I find DFH's better more spice and doesn't tastes like I stuck my face in a pumpkin pie.

ninjavanish 09-18-2010 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Disregard the Fuller's in the middle. The other 4 just came home with me about an hour ago.

MikeyC 09-19-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourchoice (Post 992955)
I'll have to see if my local has it. ...and Smuttynose is from New Hampshire, I believe. Their IPA is one of my favorite affordable IPAs.

Their pumpkin is excellent in my opinion. Are they in NH?

Shipyard also makes a good pumpkin but a little on the over spiced side in my opinion. Aren't they in Maine? I think maybe I got the two confused.

Just had another SA Harvest Pumpkin and I'm not so sure it's still on my "recommended" list. It didn't have as much pumpkin flavor as I remember from the last time I had some. Of course, that last time was on draft at the brewery. Draft beer is always better.

yourchoice 09-19-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyC (Post 993646)
Their pumpkin is excellent in my opinion. Are they in NH?

:D
http://seacoastbeveragelab.com/wp-co...ynose-Logo.jpg

xlc12rf 09-19-2010 09:47 AM

Smutty is decent.

My favorite 'sessionable' pumpkin is DFH. For a nice food pairing, I go with pumking. The Weyerbacher is pretty good as well.

These are the only standouts I've had, and I've tried most of the one's available in my area.