Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Roasting Question w/regards to Outside Temperature... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43845)

MarkinAZ 03-19-2011 06:30 PM

Roasting Question w/regards to Outside Temperature...

On the patio this afternoon @ 3:30PM, a pleasant 59*... This is the first time roasting with an outside temp @ 59*. Usually, its been 80* outside on the patio.

I pre-heated the Poppery II for approximately 2 min and measured out my first batch of Sumatra Grd #1 Mandheling at 3.5oz.

When the Poppery heated up to speed, I dumped the green beans and proceeded as usual. The 1st crack however did not occur until app the 4min mark (usually its 2:00 to 2:39min). All in all, I roasted this green bean up to 9:15min to get the following color:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...tures004-3.jpg

Which I was pleased with, but I feel it took much longer to achieve due to the outside temp this afternoon. Any thoughts regarding my attempt at this roast today?

Unfortunately, I had bottled 7oz of this roast in a Mason jar, and while trying to juggle a majority of the equipment inside, the jar slid off and "exploded" on the brickery. I decided to dump it instead of trying to collect the beans and powdered glass together. Live and learn, but that's the fun of roasting (or homebrewing):D

Mr B 03-21-2011 10:09 AM

Re: Roasting Question w/regards to Outside Temperature...

Mark, sorry to hear about the bean tragedy. ;s

Outside temp means alot. I have one roaster/popper that will barley hit first crack when its real cool outside. Solution: I put that roaster in a small, shallow box and run another one behind it, blowing hot air into the box. Now its drawing in warmer air and increasing my roasting temp. Works very well.
I run this crazy contraption while my better roaster is cooling with a fan blowing into it.

MarkinAZ 03-21-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr B (Post 1212357)
Outside temp means alot. I have one roaster/popper that will barley hit first crack when its real cool outside. Solution: I put that roaster in a small, shallow box and run another one behind it, blowing hot air into the box. Now its drawing in warmer air and increasing my roasting temp. Works very well. I run this crazy contraption while my better roaster is cooling with a fan blowing into it.

Thanks for the feedback Brent:tu That's kinda what I was thinking regarding the temp, when one bit of info I'd read mentioned "don't if its 50* and below." I've seen the box set-up in a "you tube" post without the additional blower unit. Guess I could modify a box, line it with tin foil and position my daughters hair dryer into the box while "on low" with some sort of modified tubing...:D

I'm sure we can become very creative if we get hard-up enough to roast some beans huh? Will probably wait for a solid 70* day to roll around for now though. Thanks again Brent...

Mister Moo 03-21-2011 06:32 PM

+1: Ambient temp definitely affects popper roast times; the baffle-box warm air recirculate thingie worked well for me, too.

MarkinAZ 03-21-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 1212887)
+1: Ambient temp definitely affects popper roast times; the baffle-box warm air recirculate thingie worked well for me, too.

Thanks Dan! Probably works similar to the thingamajig design too:D

Mister Moo 03-22-2011 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkinCA (Post 1212990)
Thanks Dan! Probably works similar to the thingamajig design too:D

Practically identical.

FWIW, A roast time extended to 9-10 minutes is probably going to give fine (or better) results compared to the standard 4-6 minute popper blast. I see only one divot blown from a bean (three o'clock position) and the roast looks typically mottled (typical Sumatra) and uniform. The fast, hot popper profile can blast divots in 20-30% of a roast during hot weather and play hell with uniformity, especially with larger beans like the Sumatran; I'd honor the cooler weather and roast with a knowing smile.

I question the efficacy of preheating a popper, whereas, I favor temperature control (i.e. roast time control) by filling a popper with more (hotter) or less (cooler) beans from the start.

I say this sipping a lovely cappuccino made from local fresh roast purchased at Whole Foods this weekend. :D

RevSmoke 03-22-2011 03:09 PM

I don't roast with a hot air popper, but with a Fresh Roast 8, so I don't know how to respond.

I am sorry to hear about your dropping your roasted beans.

God's blessings.

floydpink 03-22-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 1213272)
Practically identical.

FWIW, A roast time extended to 9-10 minutes is probably going to give fine (or better) results compared to the standard 4-6 minute popper blast. I see only one divot blown from a bean (three o'clock position) and the roast looks typically mottled (typical Sumatra) and uniform. The fast, hot popper profile can blast divots in 20-30% of a roast during hot weather and play hell with uniformity, especially with larger beans like the Sumatran; I'd honor the cooler weather and roast with a knowing smile.

I question the efficacy of preheating a popper, whereas, I favor temperature control (i.e. roast time control) by filling a popper with more (hotter) or less (cooler) beans from the start.

I say this sipping a lovely cappuccino made from local fresh roast purchased at Whole Foods this weekend. :D

Love Whole Foods Roast but am wondering if you have retired from roasting>>???

Mister Moo 03-22-2011 04:42 PM

Mom lived with us the last two of her nearly 98 years. She passed away last Oct. and it's time to get back to roasting again. A lot of things went by the wayside while she was in our care - roasting was expendable. I'll be back on the program this weekend. :)

floydpink 03-22-2011 05:17 PM

I remember you saying you were taking time off, glad to hear you're back and my sincere condolences for your loss.

SD Beerman 03-22-2011 05:24 PM

I roast with the old style crank popper. Works great and temp does alter the roasting time and I like being in control of the roast.

Those beans look great too bad you had to sacrifice the others ......;s