Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   ouch...sucking embers.... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1798)

Hardcz 10-20-2008 06:08 PM

ouch...sucking embers....

Any way to prevent hot embers from flying into your mouth while inhaling near the end... because it bloody hurts! I know from experience now :pi

TheTraveler 10-20-2008 07:41 PM

Re: ouch...sucking embers....

If you're pipe is made to hold a filter then that would likely keep any hot embers from reaching your mouth.

If not then keeping the tobacco firmly tamped and drawing gently should help. Did it happen when you reached the absolute bottom of the bowl? How was the tobacco cut - in thin ribbons or wide, short or long? I haven't had it happen to me yet so I'm throwing out questions to try to narrow down the cause(s).

Also, if you're smoking an inexpensive drug store cob then the stem and bit are drilled to a pretty wide diameter and would likely permit the embers to pass more easily than a briar that has a more narrow air passage - I'd definitely recommend a filter with the cobs.

Wow, that had to sting. Did it make a blister?

Sacmore21 10-20-2008 07:55 PM

I've had the same thing happen. And, yes, it does hurt. It has primarily happened with my cobs. So much for not needing the filters! Whoever said they could smoke theirs without them? :fl

:D

fissure 10-20-2008 07:57 PM

Quit sucking so hard:lv:rolleyes:

Hydrated 10-20-2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fissure (Post 23727)
Quit sucking so hard:lv:rolleyes:

:tpd:

Hardcz 10-20-2008 08:14 PM

Was a cob, took the filter out, was near the end, no idea what kind of cut it was, some kind of english stuff I just got, and no idea if it blistered but hell it burned like a mother ****er.

Any suggestions on an inexpensive meershwhatever or briar pipe to use instead of these cobs?

peter_c 11-03-2008 12:41 PM

I smoke a cobb also, and it has happened to me at the end of the bowl.

Python 11-03-2008 01:26 PM

This has happened to me before and it is extremely unpleasant. It hasn't happened in a long time. Once you get a little more experience, it will stop happening. It has a lot to do with packing, drawing, and not 'knowing' when the tobacco is done.

Neuromancer 11-03-2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Python (Post 48985)
This has happened to me before and it is extremely unpleasant. It hasn't happened in a long time. Once you get a little more experience, it will stop happening. It has a lot to do with packing, drawing, and not 'knowing' when the tobacco is done.

Which brings up a good point...what's your take, Python, on "knowing" when the tobacco is done? For me it's that last try at relighting that goes out right away...and that's not alway foolproof...sorry for thread hijack...

NCRadioMan 11-03-2008 01:51 PM

I use a screen with my cob. Seems to work very well.

Python 11-03-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromancer (Post 49008)
For me it's that last try at relighting that goes out right away...and that's not alway foolproof...

That's pretty much the same thing I do. I lightly puff on it 3-4 times while re-lighting, if it doesn't light up easily I consider it done. Puffing too hard is what can cause the ash and embers to come up the stem.

Hardcz 11-04-2008 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 49033)
I use a screen with my cob. Seems to work very well.

what is this mythical screen and where might I quest for one?