Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   What are you reading? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=944)

floydp 10-20-2008 05:23 PM

Re: What are you reading?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms. SeanGAR (Post 13973)
Just finished reading "playing for pizza"..A John Grisham's book..very unlike his other books as it is not about lawyer stuff which I like. Great book in my opinion as I'm a huge football fan. I'm also a JG fan..I started reading "the brethren"...so far so good.. great concept for this website too..
Annie

Just finished Playing for Pizza Annie. A quick read. Have you read Bleachers? Read that a couple years ago. Both quite good.

:eevis 10-20-2008 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AriesOpusX (Post 20594)
Yep. It's an amazing series, one of the most engrossing books I've read in a while. Waiting for the movie to come out in November now. I haven't read The Host yet but I'll definitely have to tell the wife and pick it up.

My wife has read the first three of the series since Thursday, and is 400+ pages into the fourth!!!! She is a fast reader and all, but it makes me want to read them if they are really that good.:hm

RottenZombie 10-20-2008 07:20 PM

Just finished The Darkest Evening of the year By Dean Koonts.

Starscream 10-20-2008 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RottenZombie (Post 23551)
Just finished The Darkest Evening of the year By Dean Koonts.

I'm not a fan of Koontz or Stephen King (although I did like The Stand; The Shining film was good too, never read the novel) No offense to your read. Did you enjoy it?

PitmanGeek 10-20-2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysutherland (Post 23604)
I'm not a fan of Koontz or Stephen King (although I did like The Stand; The Shining film was good too, never read the novel) No offense to your read. Did you enjoy it?

The Shining is about my family... I just love reading the opening line to the book: "Jack Torrence was an officious prick..." Truly a Torrence family memoir.

Starscream 10-20-2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PitmanGeek (Post 23680)
The Shining is about my family... I just love reading the opening line to the book: "Jack Torrence was an officious prick..." Truly a Torrence family memoir.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

- REDRUM

Clampdown 10-20-2008 07:55 PM

a text message...I know, quite educational.

Starscream 10-20-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clampdown (Post 23719)
a text message...I know, quite educational.

My students seem to think that it is acceptable to write papers using text message language. :bh

Mr.Maduro 10-20-2008 08:13 PM

I just started Kill Bin Laden, a firsthand account of the hunt for Usama Bin Laden by the elite Delta Force in December of 2001 in the Tora Bora mountain range of Afganistan.

rhdad42 10-21-2008 08:21 AM

A few years ago, I joined the Hard Case Crime Book Club, which reprints paperback crime novels from WWII to 1960, and also has current authors write in that pulp style. They're great, quick reads. Some of the authors so far have been Erle Stanley Gardner, Mickey Spillane, Lawrence Block, Elmore Leonard, and Stephen King. The covers have original art in pulp style by guys like Robert McGinnis and Glen Orbik.

Right now I'm a few months behind, and I'm reading The Murderer Vine by Shepard Rifkin.

http://www.hardcasecrime.com/books/bk43/cover_big.jpg

Starscream 10-21-2008 08:46 AM

"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by T.S. Eliot

"In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo."

EMFreeburg 10-21-2008 08:52 AM

The Limits of Power by Andrew J. Bacevich.

Great read so far, very constructive criticism of today's America.

Cigargal 10-21-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhdad42 (Post 24510)
A few years ago, I joined the Hard Case Crime Book Club, which reprints paperback crime novels from WWII to 1960, and also has current authors write in that pulp style. They're great, quick reads. Some of the authors so far have been Erle Stanley Gardner, Mickey Spillane, Lawrence Block, Elmore Leonard, and Stephen King. The covers have original art in pulp style by guys like Robert McGinnis and Glen Orbik.

Right now I'm a few months behind, and I'm reading The Murderer Vine by Shepard Rifkin.

http://www.hardcasecrime.com/books/bk43/cover_big.jpg

Nothing like a good detective book. I'm starting a Mystery Reading group through the library for the winter in my small town-first book up is Maltese Falcon. I thought we would start with a classic.

Cigargal 10-23-2008 12:37 PM

Dead Until Dark by Charlene Harris. First in a series of vampire mystery. A funny book-very light reading.

Starscream 10-28-2008 07:34 PM

Just finished Tuesdays with Morrie. Wow! Just wow! Awesome read. Emotional and inspirational.

smitdavi 10-28-2008 07:39 PM

Clive Cussler and his Oregon Series right now

King James 10-28-2008 07:41 PM

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof for english class

replicant_argent 10-28-2008 07:44 PM

Thunderball, 1963 (or so) paperback, Ian Fleming.

acruce 10-28-2008 07:47 PM

With Out A Doubt.

Marsh Clark's book on the O.J Simpson trial.

Cigargal 10-28-2008 08:22 PM

Reading Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods.

lightning9191 10-28-2008 09:39 PM

I just started "A History of the World in 6 Glasses" by Tom Standage. It's good so far.

Waynegro1 10-28-2008 09:55 PM

Just finished "Fleeced" by D**K Morris and now I've started "The Really Inconvenient Truths" by Iain Murray

Stick 10-28-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWags (Post 8250)
Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West

Have not read a book of this size in 10+ yrs - so I'll be at it awhile!

How are you finding it? I recall rather enjoying it, certainly not dry or boring history.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cigargal (Post 40279)
Reading Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods.

One of my favorites, absolutely hilarious.

I Just finished Black Elk Speaks, and now am starting Blood Struggle by Charles Wilkinson, both for school. Also re-reading The Conscious Use of Metaphor in Outward Bound.

Neuromancer 10-28-2008 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysutherland (Post 24561)
"The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by T.S. Eliot

"In the room the women come and go
Talking of Michelangelo."

:tu...I've read some of his more well-known pieces (Wasteland, Murder In The Cathedral, Prufrock, Old Possum's, etc.) and just got my hands on a copy of T. S. Eliot's The Complete Poems And Plays...it's near the top of my must read pile...

Currently reading The 21st Annual Year's Best Science Fiction (2004)...edited by Gardner Dozois...

acarr 10-28-2008 10:22 PM

Right now I am reading the cigar asylum forums.:pi

Joan 10-28-2008 10:38 PM

While waiting for CigarGal's next novel---! :tt

...I'm rereading Gram's (RIP) second book, "Montana Treasure: Doctor O.A. Kenck, His Life and Times". Jeeez, I must still have something like 400 of these in the guest room!

Plus I picked up my first ERB John Carter series paperback this weekend... looks like fun!

Lucky_Hippo 10-29-2008 02:53 AM

I always have 3 or 4 books started and stashed around the house that I can pick up and start reading anytime.

I've read these before, but right now it's:

Great Expectations - Stashed in the garage/winter cigar haven

I Killed Hemingway - Stashed on the nightstand

The Annotated Legends (Dragonlance) - Stashed beside the recliner

I seem to be in a fiction mood lately, but it's all good if it get's your mind moving.

Starscream 10-29-2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky_Hippo (Post 40583)
I always have 3 or 4 books started and stashed around the house that I can pick up and start reading anytime.

I've read these before, but right now it's:

Great Expectations - Stashed in the garage/winter cigar haven

I Killed Hemingway - Stashed on the nightstand

The Annotated Legends (Dragonlance) - Stashed beside the recliner

I seem to be in a fiction mood lately, but it's all good if it get's your mind moving.

Great Expectations is, well, Great!
I thought Hemmingway killed Hemmingway.

pnoon 10-29-2008 09:03 AM

The Body of David Hayes by Ridley Pearson

Lucky_Hippo 10-29-2008 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysutherland (Post 40926)
I thought Hemmingway killed Hemmingway.

:D
It's about a guy claiming Hemingway was actually a hack that stole his entire persona, including his writing style, from him.

It's not a bad choice of fiction to read when the weather gets cold since a lot of the story takes place in Key West.

Cigargal 10-29-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan (Post 40474)

Plus I picked up my first ERB John Carter series paperback this weekend... looks like fun!

These ERB books are a lot of fun. I read through them twice about 30 years ago. I like the Tarzan books as well.

webjunkie 10-29-2008 11:20 PM

Just finished Kafka on the Shore by Murakami Haruki. Going to have to put it aside to reread it later, there are still parts I don't get. :confused:

PitmanGeek 10-31-2008 05:59 AM

Just finished the Princess of Burundi by Kjell Eriksson.

http://www.amazon.com/Princess-Burun.../dp/0312327676

It was a pleasant read, could have been much better. The suspense heightened in the end, but I was always waiting for the big surprise and it never really came. Since it is one in a series, I'm not sure if there is more to come as far as some of the back stories.

I never really understood the tie in of the Princess of Burundi and the fish with the rest of the story -- it almost seemed unnecessary for the story, but since it was built into the title it should have been more integrated. Overall 3.5 out of 5.

davearob 11-03-2008 03:29 PM

The Gum Thief by Douglass Coupland. One of the funniest books I have read in a while. I laughed more at J-POD but this one is close.

Cigargal 11-03-2008 07:01 PM

Desert Heat by J.A. Jance 2/3 thru and so far she does nothing for me.

theycallmedan'lboone 11-03-2008 07:09 PM

Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell.

lightning9191 11-03-2008 08:18 PM

"How We Live" by Sherwin Nuland

Cigargal 11-04-2008 10:03 AM

Starting Twilight, by Stephanie Meyer. I think the movie comes out this month.

MithShrike 11-04-2008 01:39 PM

The Gathering Storm by Kate Elliot.

shilala 11-05-2008 12:49 AM

I've been reading the Bible a lot lately, a book called "Serenity" and I have a few Jared Diamond books waiting for me.

Joan 11-05-2008 07:19 PM

"Fourteen Friends Guide to Eldercaring". Reading this for a friend whose Mom has lost her mind to elder dementia, just like Gram. Lots of the same stuff it took me years to figure out. Joan Seal of Approval on this one.

King James 11-06-2008 08:32 PM

just starting Eugene O'neill's play "Long Day's Journey Into Night" for english class. No clue what it is about or anything, but going to found out

MithShrike 11-06-2008 08:45 PM

In The Ruins by Kate Elliot. Volume 6 of the Crown of Stars series. Last one!

Steve 11-06-2008 09:24 PM

Tarpon Quest

Beer Doctor 11-07-2008 08:33 AM

Over half way through Wicked by Gregory Maguire. My wife loves all his books and I'm taking her to see the musical in Chicago next week so I figured I'd read it. Not at all what I thought it would be. Lots of political and theological overtones...interesting to say the least.

Cigargal 11-07-2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beer Doctor (Post 56481)
Over half way through Wicked by Gregory Maguire. My wife loves all his books and I'm taking her to see the musical in Chicago next week so I figured I'd read it. Not at all what I thought it would be. Lots of political and theological overtones...interesting to say the least.

That's what I thought about Wicked-ineresting and unexpected. I have the sequel, Son of a Witch on audio, but haven't listened to it yet. The musical is a lot of fun.

icantbejon 11-07-2008 08:51 AM

I'm about half through A Monk Swimming by Malachy McCourt. I read his brother's two books as well, Angela's Ashes and 'Tis by Frank McCourt. Angela's Ashes is a remarkable book, an amazing story. 'Tis turns pretty whiny after a while. A Monk Swimming is ok, but it drags on. He really could have just said I'm Irish and like to drink as opposed to writing this whole book.

hotreds 11-19-2008 03:45 PM

Bury Us Upside Down: The Misty Pilots and the Secret Battle for the Ho Chi Minh Trail by Rick Newman and Don Shepperd

Beer Doctor 11-19-2008 03:50 PM

Energy Victory: Winning the War on Terror by Breaking Free of Oil by Robert Zubrin

Very interesting so far. He's a huge (understatement) supporter of methanol/ethanol flex fuel cars.

MithShrike 11-19-2008 03:55 PM

Forest Mage by Robin Hobb.