Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Impatient :( (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=46594)

Flounder 06-17-2011 12:16 PM

Impatient :(

So my new Humidor came in today, along with my 15 cigar sampler (looks like there's a lot of good stuff in it, I didn't even look when I bought it).

So I put the seasoning packet in it, and now I have to wait 2 weeks :( I don't think I have that type of patience!

Also, I have nowhere to put those sticks for the time being, will they be okay for 2 weeks or what? Suggestions?

J0eybb 06-17-2011 12:16 PM

Re: Impatient :(

Tupperware.

SvilleKid 06-17-2011 12:17 PM

Ziplock bags work wonderful! PM me your address, and I'll drop a couple in the mail for you to use!

NCRadioMan 06-17-2011 12:17 PM

Get a shot glass, fill it with dist. h20. Heat in microwave for 15 seconds and place in the humidor. Repeat every 12 hours for 2 days. You humidor will be seasoned. Those seasoning packets are a waste of money, imo.

I've seasoned 5, 500 counts this way and never had any problems. As you go you will learn that people make this hobby much more worrisome and harder than it needs to be.

pektel 06-17-2011 12:20 PM

I find that using a small bowl with distilled water and a folded paper towel in it work very well too. More surface area for the water to evaporate.

BlindedByScience 06-17-2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 1300993)
Get a shot glass, fill it with dist. h20. Heat in microwave for 15 seconds and place in the humidor. Repeat every 12 hours for 2 days. You humidor will be seasoned. Those seasoning packets are a waste of money, imo.

....unless your humidor has been stored in a place where the ambient RH is higher than you want it to be.....

Unless I'm mistaken the seasoning packs are "bi-directional" humidification devices, like Bovida packs. They will regulate the RH to whatever their setpoint is. They are actually pretty cool, IMHO.

I've always relied on a salt tested hygrometer and acted accordingly. My :2 is that you can't hurry the process....it takes some time to get a wooden humidor properly seasoned and working correctly.

One man's opinion - N.F.H.

J0eybb 06-17-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvilleKid (Post 1300992)
Ziplock bags work wonderful! PM me your address, and I'll drop a couple in the mail for you to use!

:r:r:r:r

N2 GOLD 06-17-2011 12:26 PM

Patience is a good thing to have. I put them in now you will have not but sloppy wet cigars...

Patience, Patience, Patience, Patience, Patience, Patience & more Patience... -(P

Never try & rush the hands of time... -(P

T.G 06-17-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flounder (Post 1300990)
So my new Humidor came in today, along with my 15 cigar sampler (looks like there's a lot of good stuff in it, I didn't even look when I bought it).

So I put the seasoning packet in it, and now I have to wait 2 weeks :( I don't think I have that type of patience!

Also, I have nowhere to put those sticks for the time being, will they be okay for 2 weeks or what? Suggestions?

Did the seasoning packet include garlic? They never put enough garlic in those things... :sad

DBall 06-17-2011 12:28 PM

You can't put them in the humidor I gave you? :confused:

neoflex 06-17-2011 12:30 PM

This time of year with the humidity as high as it is, at least here in NC it's not unusual for me to leave sticks ROTT sitting on top of my humidor or on the counter for a week until I find time to get them sorted. Most of the time when it comes time to put them away they are still over humidified from their travels but all the other advice given so far works very well too. I use a Tupperware this time of year to quarantine anything new that comes in for at least a month due to the heat as I still don't feel comfortable freezing them and it works just fine. Just break up a Spanish Cedar box to help regulate the humidity levels and be sure to crack the top open for a few minutes at least once a week.

OLS 06-17-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

As you go you will learn that people make this hobby much more worrisome and harder than it needs to be.

And so my entire philosophy on cigars is distilled into one simple sentence. :banger

Sherlockholms 06-17-2011 01:41 PM

Allot of great advice from you guys, I have nothing to add.

kelmac07 06-17-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J0eybb (Post 1300991)
Tupperware.

:tpd:

CigarNut 06-17-2011 02:43 PM

Just start smoking your cigars. By the time your humi is ready they will be all gone and you will need more :)

big a 06-17-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J0eybb (Post 1300991)
Tupperware.

Quote:

I've seasoned 5, 500 counts this way and never had any problems. As you go you will learn that people make this hobby much more worrisome and harder than it needs to be.

:tpd: Just do a quick searh on here about seasoning humidors. I have taken a damp sponge to the inside of my humidors with dist water. Some people are very really don't suggest this but lots have done with with success. Key is to not to over wet the wood to where it will warp. Than I put the shot glass in and after 2-3 days she was holding at 69%. Put the cigars and HCM beads in and after a couple weeks it was holding at 64%. Still is to this day 2 years later.

Fordman4ever 06-17-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarNut (Post 1301128)
Just start smoking your cigars. By the time your humi is ready they will be all gone and you will need more :)

:tpd:

lbowles2 06-17-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvilleKid (Post 1300992)

Good lord... the man's still lookin' for targets :sl :sl

SvilleKid 06-17-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbowles2 (Post 1301156)
Good lord... the man's still lookin' for targets :sl :sl

Me??? I have no idea at all what you mean!:D OTOH, he hasn't risen to the challenge.... er, I mean, Offer:r

Flounder 06-17-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBall (Post 1301008)
You can't put them in the humidor I gave you? :confused:

The one you gave me is more or less filled with the sticks you also gave me, plus my pick-up the other day. No way it's holding 15 more, which mainly seem to be churchills.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvilleKid (Post 1301173)
Me??? I have no idea at all what you mean!:D OTOH, he hasn't risen to the challenge.... er, I mean, Offer:r

I'm debating... I feel like it's only fair that I give my address to people if down the road I expect to get addresses, at the same time. I don't wanna be "that guy."