Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Speaking of Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3661)

perogee 11-07-2008 09:40 PM

Speaking of Good Eats

Do we have any other fans of Alton Brown here? :)

LasciviousXXX 11-07-2008 10:34 PM

Re: Speaking of Good Eats

My wife watches his show all the time. In fact I think one of our illustrious 11 is a fan (not sure which one of us named this particular sub-forum though).

I like his new travel show as well. It reminds me of Anthony Bourdain's show

Sanitariumite 11-08-2008 12:35 AM

I'm a big fan. His humor's a bit... Quirky... But the show itself is quite worth watching. I've always been a fan of science, so I appreciate the explanations as to why things happen the way they do, why to use certain ingredients over others, etc. More than anything, his show's truly something different, and in a good way.

leasingthisspace 11-08-2008 01:23 AM

I love the show.

Guitarman-S.T- 11-08-2008 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leasingthisspace (Post 57836)
I love the show.

:salute: ya damn right- smart guys, and gives information in an interesting manor

drevim 11-08-2008 03:02 AM

Don't think there is an episode I haven't seen...about 10 times ;)

Got a couple of his cookbooks as well. He does a damn good Flank Steak rub. For those who have been to the Shack, it's not Sam's, but it's as close as I've been able to get.

His humor is an aquired taste, but he does grow on you, and it's not the "cooking in front of an audience" show like so many others are.

Plus, he did invent the oven-cam, fridge-cam, microwave-cam.....:D

taltos 11-08-2008 03:52 AM

I hated him at first and would go to another tv set when my wife was watching him. Now I am a huge fan of his. I think that I have all of his episodes made prior to this season with the exception of the 1 hour behind the scenes episode where he introduced some of the recurring characters from the show. I am thinking that I will buy the commercial dvd's of previous seasons.

:eevis 11-08-2008 06:30 AM

Yup, huge fan, not so much of Good Eats anymore but I love the "Feasting On.." series. But it was Good Eats that got me into enjoying cooking more, now I can't stop. Love him on Iron Chef too

md4958 11-08-2008 07:05 AM

HUGE FAN!! I tivo all the new shows.

Hes like Mr Wizard (one of my favorites as kids) meets Emeril (who annoys me btw)

and most of his recipes are damn good too!

Oh, and I love Giada.. met her twice... she is so damn sexy and better looking in person.

massphatness 11-08-2008 07:27 AM

Love Alton Brown.

And any discussion of Giada is going to get me in trouble with my better half. :D

replicant_argent 11-08-2008 07:32 AM

Fan of both AB's, Brown and Bourdain.
While I rarely use recipes, I do try to cook, and eat with a more gastronomic view, and attitude. Thinking about how I cook, and why and sometimes why not? is an interesting tack. While I sometimes look at food as just fuel, I try to remind myself that food is to be enjoyed and remembered sometimes. Cooking and eating can be entertainment in itself.

Mark C 11-08-2008 07:43 AM

Been a fan for a few years now. I've got a chemistry background so the food science really speaks to the nerd in me. My biggest regret from college is that I didn't discover the food science department until my senior year. I really enjoyed Feasting on Waves, I love caribbean food, but it's awful hard to come by here in MD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by massphatness (Post 58000)
And any discussion of Giada is going to get me in trouble with my better half. :D

My better half rolls her eyes whenever I mention Giada (I even suggested it as a name for our baby before we found out it was a boy), but she let's me dream :D

gnukfu 11-08-2008 08:21 AM

Yep, being an engineer the food science aspect is very interesting.

Demented 11-08-2008 08:46 AM

Good eats and Molto Mario are the only cooking shows I care for.

I want to learn how to make it and cook it, and why we cook it that way.

About ingredients and why we use them the way we do.

Not interested in recipes.

jitzy 11-08-2008 09:00 AM

love the show I've made a lot of his recipies

perogee 11-08-2008 09:03 AM

Alton Brown, Anthony Bourdain and Mario Batali are my favourite tv hosts. They all make what they do very interesting, in different ways :) (Bourdain is so cynical at times I cannot help but laugh).

Darrell 11-08-2008 11:40 AM

I don't like Alton Brown. I find him annoying. I enjoy the information which is presented, just not the presenter. :2

shaggy 11-08-2008 11:45 AM

i love him on his own shows but dont really care for him on iron chef. btw...he did a show on 'pop up biscuits'...anyone got a link to it or anything...i wanna try them

md4958 11-08-2008 11:46 AM

when you say pop up biscuits do you mean buttermilk biscuits? if so, i have tried his recipe and they were awesome

md4958 11-08-2008 11:48 AM

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

you have to be gentle when handling the dough, it really makes a difference in tenderness

shaggy 11-08-2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md4958 (Post 58368)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

you have to be gentle when handling the dough, it really makes a difference in tenderness

is that the one that is hollow inside that you can fill with stuff after you make them?

md4958 11-08-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy (Post 58382)
is that the one that is hollow inside that you can fill with stuff after you make them?

oh, no. those are called popovers. go to the link, type in popover and then along the left side click the more chef tab and then click on Alton Brown

Ive never tried them.

to quote My Blue Heaven, when the ex-mobster bites into a popover
"what the freak is dis???"

punch54 11-08-2008 01:06 PM

alton browns shows are great funny and informative,needs to make more good eats though seen them enough times iam starting to know the words to them.

Mark C 11-08-2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnukfu (Post 58064)
Yep, being an engineer the food science aspect is very interesting.

Then you need to go here: http://www.cookingforengineers.com/

LasciviousXXX 11-08-2008 04:35 PM

Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" is my favorite food based show. I love his stinging wit, knowledge and respect of other cultures and his introspective writing style. Just a great show, I TiVo most of the episodes. The one on Japan is my absolute favorite.

Chef Mario Batali is my absoulte favorite celebrity chef though. His cooking style is the kind I'd most want to eat in my everyday life. From the simple to the extravagant he makes the type of food that excites me. I've always wanted to go to one of his restaurants in New York, especially his restaurant Babbo Ristorante e Enoteca. The menu is just mouth-watering and full of dishes I want to sample. His fennel dusted Sweetbreads just look TO DIE FOR!

LasciviousXXX 11-08-2008 04:36 PM

Hehe, here's one of my fave quotes from Bourdain on Vegetarians :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Bourdain
Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn. To me, life without veal stock, foie gras, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living. Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food

SSatVT 11-08-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy (Post 58360)
i love him on his own shows but dont really care for him on iron chef. btw...he did a show on 'pop up biscuits'...anyone got a link to it or anything...i wanna try them

:tpd:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark C (Post 58624)
Then you need to go here: http://www.cookingforengineers.com/

Thanks, now I won't get any of my work done.

e22byrnes 11-08-2008 11:43 PM

I am a HUGE Good Eats fan. I watch it almost everyday and have seen the majority of the episodes more than once. I love to see the science aspects behind things. I have used a few of his recipes as a starting point for my own and they work well. AB also has someone neat techniques or equipment that I love to learn about.

For the most part, he is one of the only Food Network chefs that know the history of the food he is cooking, therefore he doesn't butcher the original idea.

lightning9191 11-09-2008 02:37 PM

Alton Brown and my love of homebrewing is what led me to choose food science as my major. I haven't regretted it. It combines all the science (which I love.....I don't care call me out on it....I'm a nerd!) and food and drinks. What is there not to love? I still enjoy Good Eats whenever I get a chance to watch it.

SUOrangeGuy 11-09-2008 03:01 PM

I watch the show and have his cookbooks. Great read but they are basically textbooks. If you just want instructions read elsewhere.

Mark C 11-09-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightning9191 (Post 59964)
Alton Brown and my love of homebrewing is what led me to choose food science as my major. I haven't regretted it. It combines all the science (which I love.....I don't care call me out on it....I'm a nerd!) and food and drinks. What is there not to love? I still enjoy Good Eats whenever I get a chance to watch it.

I remember reading somewhere that they offer a homebrew course down at VT now, you taking that? I managed to get into the wine tasting class my senior year, but homebrew wasn't a class yet. That didn't stop me from trying to make hard cider in my apartment... but sometimes I wish it did, that stuff was brutal!

macpappy 11-09-2008 05:36 PM

Don't like him on Iron Chef but have enjoyed all his other shows and even DVR'd quite a few to watch when nothing else is on.

The only episodes of one of his shows which I didn't like was the last Feasting on Asphalt series he did where he started out at the mouth of the Mississippi River and worked his way north. He blew it when he stopped at some of the places he did in the New Orleans area and some of the other locations as he went north out of Louisiana.

The restaurant he couldn't get into in New Orleans is a tourist trap. Sure the food is decent but the locals for the most part go there for lunch. There are too many other places that are not as well known but filled with locals that he should have gone to.

All that being said, I still watch him.

kwoody 11-09-2008 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perogee (Post 57687)
Do we have any other fans of Alton Brown here? :)

I love the show.. I also liked the motorcycle one where he toured the country..

I love the gadgets, science and multi use stuff..

lightning9191 11-09-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark C (Post 60208)
I remember reading somewhere that they offer a homebrew course down at VT now, you taking that? I managed to get into the wine tasting class my senior year, but homebrew wasn't a class yet. That didn't stop me from trying to make hard cider in my apartment... but sometimes I wish it did, that stuff was brutal!

I'm helping teach it!:ss

Opusfxd 11-09-2008 10:30 PM

I love AB. This includes the Asphalt and especially the Waves series. The way he finds multi tasking tools and breaks things down is what draws me to it. I read a BBQ site that a guy won a competition (backyard division) here in Colorado using his flower pot smoker.

Vitis 11-10-2008 08:37 AM

Love Alton, especialy his books. like stated above, they're more like text books, which is great! You can sit down and read em. Learned a ton on technique from those books.

~Vitis

Langod 11-11-2008 12:14 PM

Alton is great!

He is the direct inheritor of the mantles of two of the best TV Chefs of the past -- Julia Child and Jeff Smith (The Frugal Gourmet). Just as they had a connection to ingredients, techniques and food culture, so does he. (Yes, there was some controversy surrounding Jeff's show towards the end, but the man knew his food!)
Too many of FN's current crop of chef's are "just cooking" -- they don't seem to know their ingredients except as just an ingredient with which to make something else. The connection to ingredients as food, is missing. They also seem to be lacking in the culture of the foods they make.
Alton gets it. So, do Giada :dr and Mario.

Don't get me started on Emeril the has-been, or Rachel the product placement/advertising whore. (I still don't understand how she has that gig -- the newbs they bring in for "Next Food Network Star" have more culinary chops than she does.)

ucla695 11-11-2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant_argent (Post 58009)
Fan of both AB's, Brown and Bourdain.
While I rarely use recipes, I do try to cook, and eat with a more gastronomic view, and attitude. Thinking about how I cook, and why and sometimes why not? is an interesting tack. While I sometimes look at food as just fuel, I try to remind myself that food is to be enjoyed and remembered sometimes. Cooking and eating can be entertainment in itself.

Another fan of Brown and Bourdain. I love the scientific aspect of Brown's show. Kinda gives cooking a different twist and helps explain what's going on and why things should be done a certain way. Bourdain has an entertaining take on life and food. Good viewing! :tu

Guitarman-S.T- 11-11-2008 09:14 PM

Corn Episode =]

mrreindeer 11-11-2008 09:22 PM

I freakin' love Alton Brown but mrsreindeer just doesn't get it. She doesn't enjoy it one bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LasciviousXXX (Post 58672)
His fennel dusted Sweetbreads just look TO DIE FOR!

Oh man, then I shouldn't tell you I had his sweetbreads at B&B in Vegas on Saturday.....freaking INSANE.

You should come out to L.A. and grab a slice with me at his pizza joint. I've never been.

GhostRyder 11-12-2008 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark C (Post 60208)

I'm tryin to get in the Homebrew class next year. Hopefully it will be informative (and delicious). How was the wine tasting class?

Also, someone mentioned Popovers earlier in this thread. If you haven't had them before try em. I had some up in Acadia National Park at the Jordan Pond House--unbelievably delicious.

kugie 11-19-2008 03:13 PM

Alton Rocks

perogee 11-20-2008 07:35 PM

it is almost the time of year for egg nog!!

Anyone else tried the GE eggnog recipe? Personally I think it is great, but I would like to know if anyone has a recipe that they think is as good/better?

Mark C 11-21-2008 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostRyder (Post 64923)
I'm tryin to get in the Homebrew class next year. Hopefully it will be informative (and delicious). How was the wine tasting class?

Just saw this post...

I thought the Wine Tasting class was great. Well organized, and well taught. It's NOT a BS class. Most people take it pass fail, but I thought of that as a cop out, I ended up with a B. You've got to treat it like any other class and make an effort to learn what's being taught, rather than just taste wine every couple weeks. What I enjoyed the most were the tastings. I think they were planned very well and showed clear differences from one wine to the next. The most interesting was the tasting session centered on tastes, rather than the wines. One wine was slightly modified (blind) to accent characteristics like bitter, sweet, sour, and 'mouthfeel' or body. Following that was a food pairing tasting that was very informative. I'd definitely recommend it, I even keep the textbooks in the kitchen with the rest of my cookbooks.

MadAl 11-21-2008 12:51 PM

I really like his shows. Great tips on safety.