Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "Hot" Brands right now (poll) (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43311)

muhren 03-05-2011 08:22 PM

"Hot" Brands right now (poll)

Obviously, this doesn't cover ALL brands. It's NC boutique based and only those that seem to be highly discussed and run by young(er) guys.

Brand doing good things RIGHT now? Yea or Nay is what I'm after here.

Tatuaje
Viaje
Liga Privada
Illusione

Oh yeah, you can vote more than once and the vote is hidden on this one.

icehog3 03-05-2011 08:28 PM

Re: "Hot" Brands right now (poll)

Doing well making cigars, or doing well marketing cigars, Mike?

muhren 03-05-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1194993)
Doing well making cigars, or doing well marketing cigars, Mike?

Good question! Do you feel good about them when you think of the brand. Does something overwhelmingly positive jump out at you? Something overwhelmingly negative? Does something give you pause? If you think of the brand is it a positive thought or a negative one?

I'm talking generally well. :)

M

icehog3 03-05-2011 08:43 PM

I have had cigars from three of the companies, and have some Viajes that I have yet to sample.

Tatuaje makes some good cigars, and some dogs. They spread themselves so thin, however, that they are turning some off with the dozens of releases. The marketing strategy is great though, because they have hundreds of BOTLs chasing their "HTF" multiple releases.

I was totally turned off my Illusione years ago when they decided to use the Jonestown Massacre as the center of their campaign. After enough time passed, I sampled some of their cigars, most recently the Epernay line and the Singulare. I like their cigars, and I guess I have forgiven their insensitive marketing of the past.

I have smoked a few of the Liga Privada, most recently a Flying Pig. Taste doesn't suit me, I am not impressed, but I see lots of BOTLs chasing them, so they most be doing something right.

I will probably smoke a Skull'n'Bones next week....of course one cigar won't give me an educated opinion, but at least I will have an initial impression.

Bill86 03-05-2011 08:51 PM

I voted Nay on Tatuaje for their stupid amount of releases, yay for Viaje for their less and "seasonal releases". Illusione I've only had one but it was great, going to sample more. Never had any interest in Liga Privada so I voted them down. Their Pigs and whatnot are $13-$14 a piece too pricey and I don't like the sizes or shapes.

MurphysLaw 03-06-2011 08:46 AM

I feel that all four makers are doing a good job of marketing cigars, and finding a way to create demand for their product. There are plenty of people seeking out these brands, and there is always a lot of hype surrounding new releases, at least in the online cigar community. I think the Liga Privada line has done an especially good job of getting "serious" cigar smokers to think of Drew Estate as something other than a flavored cigar brand.
I have yet to try a Viaje, but once I can justify an order from one of their distributors, I will order a sampler. But that is due to more of the positive light they've received here rather than any kind of marketing that the company itself has done.

replicant_argent 03-06-2011 02:53 PM

Thinly veiled market research annoys me.:tu

nick2021 03-06-2011 02:58 PM

Tatuaje is definitely doing good, as is Viaje...I wonder if this trend will last though? Seems like demand has gone up for these brands setting a certain level of standard. Hopefully, both brands won't compromise in certain areas to meet the new demands presented to them

smitdavi 03-06-2011 03:36 PM

Had some tats recently at the local shop and their quality is suffering right now. Had two last week with some MAJOR wrapper issues. The shop owner said that is becoming more and more common. That's unfortunate because they had a great stick a few years ago.

hscmit 03-06-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant_argent (Post 1195865)

:r:r:r:r

muhren 03-06-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitdavi (Post 1195905)
Had some tats recently at the local shop and their quality is suffering right now. Had two last week with some MAJOR wrapper issues. The shop owner said that is becoming more and more common. That's unfortunate because they had a great stick a few years ago.

:hm

So does that turn you off on them or are they just on a 'better watch out' kinda list??

M

smitdavi 03-07-2011 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muhren (Post 1195976)
:hm

So does that turn you off on them or are they just on a 'better watch out' kinda list??

M

Both

Skywalker 03-07-2011 07:19 AM

I'm hoping with popularity comes availability and affordability!:tu

RevSmoke 03-07-2011 07:25 AM

I enjoy a few Tats, but the continual "special releases" got old a while back. Great marketing technique, but I have smoked a few of the earlier special releases, but cannot say that they really excited me. The ones I like are a couple that have been around a while in the brown and VI lines.

I have had a few Illusiones, ehhh. I would love to get a box of the Cruzado Avalito, those were excellent. Haven't had the Epernay or the Nostros lines yet, so I cannot speak for them.

As for the Viaje, I don't get them. Have had a cigar from three different bands, not sure what the hype is all about. Haven't had any of the special releases though. Do have a 2010 Holiday blend sitting, but I am nervous about trying it. Everybody hyped the other ones I had, and they turned up a lackluster performance at best.

I have had LG #9 toro sized and a Flying Pig. OK, not bad. Something exciting, not really. And at the prices they are charging for their stuff, I doubt I'll be trying many more.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Bill86 01-17-2012 11:03 PM

I thought I had to go to the local library to buy cigars online :confused: I had no idea my internets works too!

Great info! :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill86 (Post 1195037)
I voted Nay on Tatuaje for their stupid amount of releases, yay for Viaje for their less and "seasonal releases". Illusione I've only had one but it was great, going to sample more. Never had any interest in Liga Privada so I voted them down. Their Pigs and whatnot are $13-$14 a piece too pricey and I don't like the sizes or shapes.

Interesting to see my old assessments.

To re-vote in this thread I'd go
Tatuaje -Nay
Viaje -Nay (went the way of Tatuaje, like two clowns in a circus)
Illusione - :tu (they are branching out with a lot more smokes but no stupid limited crap)
Liga - Nay (not my cup of tea, but they are doing well I'm sure. Quality smokes, just not a super-full bodied smoker)

hdryder 01-18-2012 08:15 AM

In my opinion the best thing about any of the brands listed is thier marketing. Sure they all have some good blends but most of their blends are mediocore at best.

maninblack 01-18-2012 08:22 AM

It's resurrected!

replicant_argent 01-18-2012 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by replicant_argent (Post 1195865)

Thanks for the bump, Bro! :tu:rolleyes:;)

Mr B 01-18-2012 10:30 AM

Sorry by my vote still goes to Don Pepin Garcia (and family) for his hand in so many GREAT botique blends.

maninblack 01-18-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr B (Post 1533915)
Sorry by my vote still goes to Don Pepin Garcia (and family) for his hand in so many GREAT botique blends.

Gotta say, that is a wise choice.:tu