Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Pinar Del Rio Oscuro robusto (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16631)

BlackIrish 06-07-2009 07:26 AM

Pinar Del Rio Oscuro robusto

I got my first one of these in a bomb (thanks, TripleF), and I really enjoyed it so I picked up some more.

The cigar: Pinar Del Rio Oscuro robusto

Nutritional information
Vitola: Robusto (5x50)
Origin: Dominican Republic
Wrapper: Habano Oscuro / Dominican Republic
Binder: Habano / Dominican Republic
Filler: Nicaraguan / Dominican Republic

The Marketing

Here's what the manufacturer has to say:

Pinar Del Río Oscuro is rolled for the dark wrapper enthusiast. Utilizing a maduro wrapper leaf, Oscuro is a strong cigar that is supremely clean, a rare feat that is seldom accomplished by cigar factories today. With a silky texture.
http://www.pdrcigar.com/cigars.html

Prelight: Yes, this is definitely aimed at fans of darker wrappers, and I'm one of them. It's a beautiful wrapper, dark and rich looking. There are some visible veins, but it still feels smooth and it's quite difficult to find the seams. Firm, well filled, solid and hefty in the hand. I found a rich, earthy aroma from the wrapper and foot.

Construction and burn: The cap clipped easily, and I found the prelight draw to be just to my liking, with a damp earthy flavor. It lit easily, producing a gray-white ash that looked stark against the dark oscuro wrapper. The burn was generally straight and pretty firm, though there was a little bit of flowering at times.

Flavor: Medium in body, this cigar offers the deep dark richness you'd expect from the looks of it.

The initial flavor is earth, with some spice on the finish. About an inch in, the cigar settles down a bit and the satisfying flavors begin to appear. There's dark rich tobacco, then some coffee and dark chocolate.

In the second third, the coffee and chocolate flavors grow fuller and richer, and they meld nicely with the spice on the finish. Body remains solidly medium. It continues like this into the last third, though I found the earth reappearing.

All in all, a very enjoyable smoke, with great rich flavors, although it isn't terribly complex. I particularly liked it because it's dark and rich in flavor without being super strong.

TripleF 06-07-2009 07:33 AM

Re: Pinar Del Rio Oscuro robusto

Glad you liked it brother!! :tu

Great review!!

kelmac07 06-07-2009 09:59 AM

Very nice review!

m69c44 06-07-2009 10:16 AM

Good review If you can get your hands on the sungrown, I am sure you would like those also.:2

adampc22 06-07-2009 10:28 AM

very cool mate i would love to try one of thos cigars i am likeing darker cigars more and more as i get older lol

BlackIrish 06-07-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m69c44 (Post 413318)
Good review If you can get your hands on the sungrown, I am sure you would like those also.:2

I have, and you are right, sir. :tu

Doogie 06-07-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m69c44 (Post 413318)

if you like strong you will love the sun grown

troutbreath 06-07-2009 04:39 PM

Nice review! These have always sounded tasty.

tobii3 06-21-2009 03:43 PM

Finally got a chance to try one of these today...

:mad:

Swung by our local place, picked it out, and continued running errands.

Had I known that buying it was the HIGHLIGHT of my day, I would have stayed home.

I managed to find the one stick in the box that had a special Oscuro wrapper....that was cross-bred with asbestos.

Even the blowtorch didn't help. This stick had a flameproof wrapper...it tunneled so many times that I finally gave up and launched it.

So much for a Father's Day gift to myself....:c:c:c

Ratters 06-21-2009 09:44 PM

Nice review, I've enjoyed the couple I've had.

tobii, do you think you might have grabbed a Padilla Obsidian by mistake? :ss