Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Illinois Governor Arrested... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5921)

icehog3 12-09-2008 09:01 AM

Illinois Governor Arrested...

About time too, he has been known as a friggin' crook from the time he took office.....

Quote:

CHICAGO – Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was arrested Tuesday on charges of conspiring to get financial benefits through his authority to appoint a U.S. senator to fill the vacancy left by Barack Obama's election as president.

According to a federal criminal complaint, Blagojevich also was charged with illegally threatening to withhold state assistance to Tribune Co., the owner of the Chicago Tribune, in the sale of Wrigley Field. In return for state assistance, Blagojevich allegedly wanted members of the paper's editorial board who had been critical of him fired.

A 76-page FBI affidavit said the 51-year-old Democratic governor was intercepted on court-authorized wiretaps over the last month conspiring to sell or trade the vacant Senate seat for personal benefits for himself and his wife, Patti.

The affidavit said Blagojevich discussed getting a substantial salary for himself at a nonprofit foundation or an organization affiliated with labor unions.

It said Blagojevich also talked about getting his wife placed on corporate boards where she might get $150,000 a year in director's fees.

He also allegedly discussed getting campaign funds for himself or possibly a post in the president's cabinet or an ambassadorship once he left the governor's office.

"I want to make money," the affidavit quotes him as saying in one conversation.

U.S. Attorney Patrick J. Fitzgerald said in a statement that "the breadth of corruption laid out in these charges is staggering."

"They allege that Blagojevich put a for sale sign on the naming of a United States senator," Fitzgerald said."

Among those being considered for the post include U.S. Reps. Danny Davis and Jesse Jackson Jr.

Blagojevich also was charged with using his authority as governor in an attempt to squeeze out campaign contributions.

His chief of staff, John Harris, also was arrested.

Corruption in the Blagojevich administration has been the focus of a federal investigation involving an alleged $7 million scheme aimed at squeezing kickbacks out of companies seeking business from the state. Federal prosecutors have acknowledged they're also investigating "serious allegations of endemic hiring fraud" under Blagojevich.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081209/...rruption_probe

Flatsix 12-09-2008 09:10 AM

Re: Illinois Governor Arrested...

Crooked!!

This guy must think that he's above the law. One corrupt scheme after another. I can't wait to see how many charges are put upon him. They should tar and feather this clown and let him run through the streets of Chicago.

Scottw 12-09-2008 09:18 AM

What a horse's ass.

Scimmia 12-09-2008 09:24 AM

Only word that comes to mind is FINALLY! Stick this guy in a cell with Ryan, and move on to the next crooked politician from Chicago.

Beagleone 12-09-2008 09:30 AM

I was there when he got elected gov the first time. I dealt with his FIL's office and knew how the system worked. Not a surprising arrest, but boy, how stupid could you get?!?

:cb

MikeyC 12-09-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

He also allegedly discussed getting campaign funds for himself or possibly a post in the president's cabinet or an ambassadorship once he left the governor's office.
I wonder who it was that was offering him this?

A lot of politicians being indicted both in Chicago and Boston lately.

ahc4353 12-09-2008 09:42 AM

I wish the Federal Government would come and take a look at New Jersey Politicians.

Now that I said that if I don't post for a few days there might be a problem. :D

dcamacho 12-09-2008 10:13 AM

press conference is on now. crazyness

Starscream 12-09-2008 10:31 AM

Wow. That's some serious sh!t! Now only about 1,000 more politicians to go and this might be a decent place to live again.:)

tobii3 12-09-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scimmia (Post 109649)
....and move on to the next crooked politician from Chicago.

<snort>

:r

Pat1075 12-09-2008 10:35 AM

About damn time.

zonedar 12-09-2008 11:10 AM

One of the charges if for trying to sell Obama's vacant Senate seat. Wild...

kayak_rat 12-09-2008 12:51 PM

Wonder how far up the chain this wil be taken. The Governor has to answer to alot of people.....soooooo

Whee 12-09-2008 01:40 PM

One of the news channels said at the very least he should be indicted for stupidity. KNowing he was under investigation, knowing that he HAD to be bugged, most of his associates convicted, indicted or under investigation and he STILL carries on these conversations.

Whee 12-09-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayak_rat (Post 110137)
Wonder how far up the chain this wil be taken. The Governor has to answer to alot of people.....soooooo

In Illinois, there really isn't anybody else to answer to...including the inferred politician...our government has been run by the same cluster of families and power brokers for decades...and i've only lived here for 10 years!

taltos 12-09-2008 01:47 PM

Sounds like Daley is still pulling strings, from hell.

M1903A1 12-09-2008 05:29 PM

FINALLY BUSTED!!!!!!

:r:r:r:r:r

:ss

icehog3 12-09-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1903A1 (Post 110761)
FINALLY BUSTED!!!!!!

:r:r:r:r:r

:ss

While it is a sad day for Illinois, it is also a good day for Illinois citizens. Got the crook, finally.

ChicagoWhiteSox 12-09-2008 10:03 PM

illinois... the most corrupt state in the country. and im from that state. i feel ashamed. chicago is very corrupt. i cant stand any polititians that have been from chicago or illinois. Rod slammed the nail in the coffin for most of the central and southern part of the state.

O well, ill stand with my chicago teams though. until they become corrupt.

icehog3 12-09-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox (Post 111249)
illinois... the most corrupt state in the country. and im from that state. i feel ashamed. chicago is very corrupt. i cant stand any polititians that have been from chicago or illinois. Rod slammed the nail in the coffin for most of the central and southern part of the state.

O well, ill stand with my chicago teams though. until they become corrupt.

1919 White Sox? ;) :r