Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Eyes open & consideration (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=73919)

RevSmoke 03-01-2018 08:01 PM

Eyes open & consideration

Dear friends, as weather warms, keep your eyes open when you get behind the wheel. Bicycle rider are now out on that road, and have the same right of way as cars and motorcycles.

My son was out for a conditioning ride on a country road, he had a pretty good "cruise" going (he figures he was doing a good 20+MPH) when a car passed him on the left, and then made a right turn - right in front of him - causing him to choose running into the vehicle or turning to avoid. He chose to turn and avoid, only there was a 6' deep ditch there. Repairs to the bike will be around $350 (yeah, a nice bike). He is on pain meds and muscle relaxants to facilitate ease of sleep. The scratches on his face and the bruised muscles will heal.

We need to bring awareness to people that they have to pay attention, and consider all those sharing the road with them.

No, the car did not stop to see if he was all right.

Remo 03-01-2018 08:08 PM

Re: Eyes open & consideration

Hope he heals up fast Todd.

markem 03-01-2018 08:25 PM

Hope that he heals well and fast. If he did not have one or more flashing lights visible from behind, you may want to consider that.

jledou 03-01-2018 08:36 PM

We have several people that ride at work, I only half jokingly tell them I try to watch for them so I can hit them. :)

Nice reminder Rev that bikes and kids are coming back out of hibernation. Hope your son is doing well.

G G 03-02-2018 06:24 AM

Sorry to hear that Todd, will pray for speedy recovery.

massphatness 03-02-2018 07:21 AM

Loads of bikers in my area, and I see a lot of near misses as we are just off a narrow, winding hilly street that runs along conservation land. Too many hake my head, WTF moments for my liking. Both drivers and bikers need to practice a little more common sense and utilize some patience.

Hope your boy recovers quickly, Todd.

Dave128 03-02-2018 08:05 AM

Hope he recovers quickly.

icehog3 03-02-2018 08:06 AM

Prayers for your son's recovery, Todd.

Bicyclists don't get enough consideration regarding ROW. They are just a little worse off than motorcyclists, who don't get much either.

MarkinAZ 03-02-2018 12:27 PM

Sorry to hear about this Todd, and hope your son heals in a timely manner.

Nothing more important when driving than to stay focused on driving. That's all I do when driving. Don't give a *hit about the cell phone or anything else. Allows me to watch the roads for such things as bicycles. When I do approach them, I give them a fairly wide birth too...

RevSmoke 03-03-2018 07:50 PM

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers for Tim.

He and I sat and had a cigar last night, along with some liquid pain killer!

hammondc 03-04-2018 07:16 AM

It's dangerous out there. As someone mentioned, bright blinky things are my friend. I have never been hit, but have had some very close calls.

And yes, bike repairs can get expensive. Particularly when carbon fiber is involved.
Best wishes for his healing.