Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   The Port Wine Thread (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4771)

ir13 11-23-2008 06:55 PM

The Port Wine Thread

What ports have you drank that you have enjoyed and where did you find em.

Just wanting to make a thread to see how many of my fellow BOTL enjoy Port.

I just had a bottle of Taylor Fladgate 10 Year and cant wait to try and find another bottle locally, it was extremely good to me.

Another recent port i had was the Sandeman's Founders Reserve, was very smooth and i already got another bottle.

atlharp 11-23-2008 07:45 PM

Re: The Port Wine Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by ir13 (Post 83706)
What ports have you drank that you have enjoyed and where did you find em.

Just wanting to make a thread to see how many of my fellow BOTL enjoy Port.

I just had a bottle of Taylor Fladgate 10 Year and cant wait to try and find another bottle locally, it was extremely good to me.

Another recent port i had was the Sandeman's Founders Reserve, was very smooth and i already got another bottle.

Taylor-Fladgate is damn good stuff. That 10 year old Tawny is good, but try the 20 year next time. I would go looking for some Late Bottled Vintage (LBV) if you can find it. Taylor makes a great LBV, so does Croft, Graham's makes a great rserve called Six Grapes which is good too.

There is a lot in the Port world to drink up, I would start from there and work your way into a stupor! :al

ATL

Savvy 11-23-2008 07:54 PM

I occasionally drink port. It's been awhile though since I've gone into the military and been cut off...

But what I can remember drinking before I left were: Six Grapes, Sandeman's Tawny, Fonseca Bin 29...I think I have them arranged in order from worst to best in my opinion too.

I'll have to get back into it in a couple months here when I can own my own alcohol again.

RHNewfie 11-23-2008 08:05 PM

6 Grapes is awesome and so is a white port that I had, can't recall the name though!

Ron1YY 11-23-2008 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atlharp (Post 83804)
Taylor-Fladgate is damn good stuff. That 10 year old Tawny is good, but try the 20 year next time. I would go looking for some Late Bottled Vintage (LBV) if you can find it. Taylor makes a great LBV, so does Croft, Graham's makes a great rserve called Six Grapes which is good too.

There is a lot in the Port world to drink up, I would start from there and work your way into a stupor! :al

ATL

Where did you get your information from??????

With your love for Benjamin's port and Boones farm wine, I can tell you have a discriminating palate :r :r :r

atlharp 11-23-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron1YY (Post 83848)
Where did you get your information from??????

With your love for Benjamin's port and Boones farm wine, I can tell you have a discriminating palate :r :r :r

I think it was from you at one of the Ragu Pasta sauce tastings you attend.:c

ATL

BroncoHorvath 11-24-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atlharp (Post 83804)

ATL

Gee, we have the same taste buds... I also really like the Cabral 30 & 40 year old Tawny's.... very yummie with a great cigar...like a HDM DC....

mosesbotbol 11-24-2008 02:17 PM

If you like tawny ports, the best easy to find ones are (all 20 year bottles):

Ferreira
Sandeman
Ramos Pinto
Barros
Noval
Dow

Ace$nyper 11-26-2008 10:31 AM

How have I missed this!

I know it's cliche but I really find I like grahams better then most.
I've have a bunch of dow's and i've enjoyed most. Taylor's always seem to have a odd after taste to me.

Always have some 6 grape around :)

mosesbotbol 11-26-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper (Post 88281)
I know it's cliche but I really find I like grahams better then most.

If you are talking Vintage Port, than it's hard to beat Grahams. One of my favorites as well.

Vitis 11-26-2008 11:05 AM

Like the sweetness of Grahams but will take the power of Fonseca every time.

~Vitis

mosesbotbol 11-26-2008 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitis (Post 88361)
Like the sweetness of Grahams but will take the power of Fonseca every time.

~Vitis

I find Taylor as having more power, more pepper and spice to their profile. Somehow, Fonseca seems soft and wonderful, yet can stay that way for decades upon decades. Fonseca is a wonderful brand, as is Taylor...

Vitis 11-26-2008 11:29 AM

Agreed Fonseca/Taylor being the heavy hitters. Bums me out a bit that they taste so good young in the past few vintage years. Prior to 94' I never would have thought of drinking either of those two young. Harder to keep hands off in recent vintages.

~Vitis

Alee 11-26-2008 01:47 PM

Had a 1983 and 1985 Dow Vintage port a couple months ago, I got it on sale at my local K&L wines. Well worth checking out their website because they ship too.

Also, had the 20yr old Tawny from Taylor at a party. All three were very tasty!

Vitis 11-26-2008 02:04 PM

83 and 85 good vintages. Im liking the 85' better right now and holding the 83's for a bit longer.

~Vitis

Darrell 11-26-2008 02:07 PM

What is the taste difference between 10 yr Grahams and 20 yr Grahams? I am pretty new to the port scene and have only had Six Grapes. I want to try Grahams but am not 100% port is for me and don't want to drop $60 on a bottle of 20.

Darrell 11-26-2008 08:12 PM

I picked up a bottle of this for $26.99.

http://www.bevmo.com/Media/Images/Pr...sFull/2694.jpg

I hope it's good.

ir13 11-26-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell (Post 89141)

I hope it's good.

It is, that is the bottle im trying to find here locally bc i had some in FL and it was outstanding. If you wouldnt mind shipping a bottle to me let me know.

ucla695 11-27-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell (Post 89141)

I hope it's good.

I've been enjoying this as an everyday type of porto. It's good! :dr

Ron1YY 11-27-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ir13 (Post 89336)
It is, that is the bottle im trying to find here locally bc i had some in FL and it was outstanding. If you wouldnt mind shipping a bottle to me let me know.

If you are talking about the ones floating around during MMH III it was the 20 year.

This a a very good to great port. The 20 years has more depth to it and is less sweet.

I find the 10 year great for weekly and 20 for at least once a month or when I have people over as an after dinner and dessert wine.

If anyone can tell me if the 40 year is worth 3 times the 20, I'd appreciate it as I want an honest answer rather than taking the word of the liquor store salesman