Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Good Starter Pipe (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30179)

KenyanSandBoa 03-23-2010 09:01 PM

Good Starter Pipe

So I'm looking around for a good starter pipe and figured I would see what you guys here had to say. I don't want to spend a ton of money right now, but is there a "go-to brand" of pipes that are a safe buy even for a cheaper pipe?

Any websites I could use would be a great help too...I'm litterally starting from scratch here.

Thanks!! :D

Gary 03-23-2010 09:28 PM

Re: Good Starter Pipe

I started off with this little Peterson, about $54.00, awesome pipe, I have since purchased 2 Jake Hackerts, but this little guy is still one of my favorites.

http://www.garydancephotography.com/...01_kx3ke-M.jpg

Emjaysmash 03-23-2010 09:56 PM

Missouri Meershaum Corn Cobb Pipe, is great way to start. Not as flashy, or "sophisticated" but they smoke pretty well and they dont cost much at all. Great for a beginner!

Neuromancer 03-23-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary (Post 804096)
I started off with this little Peterson, about $54.00, awesome pipe, I have since purchased 2 Jake Hackerts, but this little guy is still one of my favorites.

http://www.garydancephotography.com/...01_kx3ke-M.jpg

Great starter pipe, great price...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 804128)
Missouri Meershaum Corn Cobb Pipe, is great way to start. Not as flashy, or "sophisticated" but they smoke pretty well and they dont cost much at all. Great for a beginner!

Ya know, MJ, I see where a lot of guys start with cobs because they're cheap, and have several benefits, but thinking back on my experience I don't think a cob is that good for a newbie pipe smoker...better would be a low maintenance pipe like the Pete above (will require very little break-in and be easy to clean) while actually cobs (IMHO) need a more experienced hand...you really have to know how to take it slow or you'll burn out a cob, and your tongue at the same time, and then there's the problem of building the floor of it up with pipe mud (cigar ash & saliva) so the draft hole is no higher than the bottom of the pipe to be able to smoke it all the way down...great price on that Pete above...

andrew 03-23-2010 10:38 PM

Sav Naturals are great and they run for less than 40 I think. LaRocca are decent and can be had for as low as mid 30's. Also, though I havent owned one, Jobey I hear are decent too, and run 40's-50's, but I'd definitely read some reviews before you buy anything. I like pipesandcigars.com for starters, good prices on tobacco also.

Neuromancer 03-23-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew (Post 804169)
Sav Naturals are great and they run for less than 40 I think. LaRocca are decent and can be had for as low as mid 30's. Also, though I havent owned one, Jobey I hear are decent too, and run 40's-50's, but I'd definitely read some reviews before you buy anything. I like pipesandcigars.com for starters, good prices on tobacco also.

:tu

Emjaysmash 03-24-2010 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromancer (Post 804167)
Great starter pipe, great price...

Ya know, MJ, I see where a lot of guys start with cobs because they're cheap, and have several benefits, but thinking back on my experience I don't think a cob is that good for a newbie pipe smoker...better would be a low maintenance pipe like the Pete above (will require very little break-in and be easy to clean) while actually cobs (IMHO) need a more experienced hand...you really have to know how to take it slow or you'll burn out a cob, and your tongue at the same time, and then there's the problem of building the floor of it up with pipe mud (cigar ash & saliva) so the draft hole is no higher than the bottom of the pipe to be able to smoke it all the way down...great price on that Pete above...

I actually think Cobbs are far more low maintenance than a briar pipe. You don't need to break in Cobbs by forming a cake, and cleaning is simply dumping out the tobacco and ash left in the pipe. After a day of aggressive piping, you can still smoke a cobb just as aggressively the next day, whereas you'll want your briar to sit at least a day to rest an dry out. Then, comes the whole journey of learning to light your pipe, which, will ruin (IMHO) any briar pipes in it's path. Cobbs are $5-7 and really wont be too missed if you char the hell our of the rim when learning to light.

OP: Either way Jim, now you have two opinions. The Peterson is definitely snazzy!

Neuromancer 03-24-2010 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 804254)
I actually think Cobbs are far more low maintenance than a briar pipe. You don't need to break in Cobbs by forming a cake, and cleaning is simply dumping out the tobacco and ash left in the pipe. After a day of aggressive piping, you can still smoke a cobb just as aggressively the next day, whereas you'll want your briar to sit at least a day to rest an dry out. Then, comes the whole journey of learning to light your pipe, which, will ruin (IMHO) any briar pipes in it's path. Cobbs are $5-7 and really wont be too missed if you char the hell our of the rim when learning to light.

OP: Either way Jim, now you have two opinions. The Peterson is definitely snazzy!

True, very true...but for the price I'd still pick the Pete...:D

KenyanSandBoa 03-24-2010 08:23 AM

Awesome...thanks everyone. I really like that Peterson!!

I'll have to check out that website and get going on this. :D

Gary 03-24-2010 11:57 AM

yeah, I really like mine. Small, easy for me to deal with, very lightweight, I often think about ordering a 2nd one. :tu

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa (Post 804387)
Awesome...thanks everyone. I really like that Peterson!!

I'll have to check out that website and get going on this. :D

KenyanSandBoa 03-24-2010 09:06 PM

Are there any "go to" brands of pipe tobacco to start with? I'm reading a bunch of reviews, but I don't know one brand from another at this point.

I saw some tobaccos that were black cherry and other flavors like that...are those worth it? I'm kind of curious to see what those are like.

One more question: Should I follow the same rule as cigars when choosing a lighter...not to use any liquid fuel lighters and stick with butane?

Emjaysmash 03-24-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa (Post 805172)
Are there any "go to" brands of pipe tobacco to start with? I'm reading a bunch of reviews, but I don't know one brand from another at this point.

I saw some tobaccos that were black cherry and other flavors like that...are those worth it? I'm kind of curious to see what those are like.

One more question: Should I follow the same rule as cigars when choosing a lighter...not to use any liquid fuel lighters and stick with butane?

What sort of tobacco do you want to try? Aromatic? Stronger, smokier? Naturally Sweet/Subtle/spicey? This would help a little bit with suggestions.

As for lighters, Go with butane, soft flame, or matches, at least to start with. There are varying opinions on using torches, so you'll have to figure out what side you're on.

KenyanSandBoa 03-24-2010 09:29 PM

Thanks M.J.

I would really like to try some of the aromatic tobaccos on the sweet side. I was looking at some of the sampler tins (Cherry/Wine/Vanilla):

http://store.pipesandcigars.com/samplers.html

Neuromancer 03-25-2010 08:38 AM

Newbie Sampler trade - for pipe tobacco

As a new piper you might want to check out the above thread also...

KenyanSandBoa 03-25-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromancer (Post 805564)
Newbie Sampler trade - for pipe tobacco

As a new piper you might want to check out the above thread also...

Thanks Marc. I definitley plan on doing the NST...I just don't have anything to trade yet. :D

I was looking at that thread this morning...definitely looks like a great way to try some different tobaccos.

Neuromancer 03-25-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenyanSandBoa (Post 805580)
Thanks Marc. I definitley plan on doing the NST...I just don't have anything to trade yet. :D

I was looking at that thread this morning...definitely looks like a great way to try some different tobaccos.

Sent you a PM clarifying the rules of the pipe tobacco NST for you...you don't need anything to trade yet...you get them a tin of what they want...:tu

KenyanSandBoa 03-25-2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuromancer (Post 805599)
Sent you a PM clarifying the rules of the pipe tobacco NST for you...you don't need anything to trade yet...you get them a tin of what they want...:tu

Got it...thanks Marc!!

Go figure...it was all in the instructions...Doh!! :bh

I was thinking this would work like the cigar NST...guess that's what I get for assuming. :D

KenyanSandBoa 03-29-2010 02:25 PM

So apparently that Peterson is a popular pipe. I ordered one a little over a week ago and it looks like they are still back ordered.

That's usually a good sign though...I can't wait. :tu

Gary 03-29-2010 02:32 PM

This place seems to have them.

KenyanSandBoa 03-30-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary (Post 809905)

Thanks...if I find out the wait is going to be longer, I might just modify my order and go through this place. I'll give them a day or two...:D