Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   McDonalds anyone? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31187)

MiamiE 04-20-2010 04:35 PM

McDonalds anyone?

Sorry coffee noob but I am addicted to McD coffee. DD sucks to me. It's like water. Anything similar to McD coffee I should try? :o

Mpython24 04-20-2010 04:42 PM

Re: McDonalds anyone?

To each his own, but ya gotta get off that McD's coffee. Try your local coffee shop and see what they have. I have always enjoyed the Costa Rican beans.

MiamiE 04-20-2010 04:45 PM

I live in South Florida, "local" brands don't make it down here.

The Poet 04-20-2010 04:47 PM

The Newark Star-Ledger conducted a taste-test some time back. On a curve, Starbucks rated a 10, and Dunkin's a 7. MickyD came in at a lowly 3. But if you like it, enjoy it.

Aside from the Costa Rican peaberry, I like Kenyan. You can get Mayorga beans from JRs at about $10/lb.

bookman 04-20-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 833745)
The Newark Star-Ledger conducted a taste-test some time back. On a curve, Starbucks rated a 10, and Dunkin's a 7. MickyD came in at a lowly 3. But if you like it, enjoy it.

Aside from the Costa Rican peaberry, I like Kenyan. You can get Mayorga beans from JRs at about $10/lb.

:tpd: the Mayorga!!!

ChicagoWhiteSox 04-20-2010 04:58 PM

Try UncleBeanz

TheRiddick 04-20-2010 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiE (Post 833744)
I live in South Florida, "local" brands don't make it down here.

Why drink anything but cortado with the easy availability in Miami area?

rhmalone 04-20-2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiE (Post 833736)
Sorry coffee noob but I am addicted to McD coffee. DD sucks to me. It's like water. Anything similar to McD coffee I should try? :o

That's wild, I'm just the opposite... MD is like water to me, while DD is morning bliss. I say drink what you like, besides that MD's prices are hard to beat, especially if you like it.

dunng 04-20-2010 05:14 PM

Have you tried the Dunkin Dark? Pretty decent... :tu

MiamiE 04-20-2010 05:24 PM

How am I supposed to be drinking this? I enjoy it 4 cream and 3 splenda!

smokehouse 04-20-2010 05:41 PM

If like it stick with that. I drink my coffee black. I have to add 2 sugars for McD coffee to be tolerable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mpython24 04-20-2010 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokehouse (Post 833785)
If like it stick with that. I drink my coffee black. I have to add 2 sugars for McD coffee to be tolerable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeahh. Someday you will drink it black Erick. Get yourself a mocha frap or somethin from the S-Buck. DD isn't too bad just not my fav.

T.G 04-20-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiE (Post 833736)
. Anything similar to McD coffee I should try? :o

Maybe some bilgewater with used motor oil with a tablespoon of anti-freeze.

:r;s

kenstogie 04-20-2010 06:01 PM

Sweet Maria's.com and a french press. You'll wonder why they make coffee any other way after that.

wolfandwhisky 04-20-2010 06:15 PM

I actually had BK coffee for the first time the other day, and thought it was pretty dang good. Was very surprised.

bookman 04-20-2010 06:16 PM

Ditto the french Press. The ONLY way to fly!!!!

Brutus2600 04-20-2010 06:52 PM

To each their own, so if you enjoy it, awesome!

However, the one time I got McDonald's coffee it tasted like burnt a$$ to me. I actually like DD coffee, but the DD near my house closed this month. If I drink coffee I just brew my own now.

Having said that, McD's iced coffee isn't that bad. I get it when I occasionally get an egg mcmuffin. I just can't stand the hot coffee or any of their McCafe stuff. Hah

wolfandwhisky 04-20-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutus2600 (Post 833846)
To each their own, so if you enjoy it, awesome!

However, the one time I got McDonald's coffee it tasted like burnt a$$ to me. I actually like DD coffee, but the DD near my house closed this month. If I drink coffee I just brew my own now.

Having said that, McD's iced coffee isn't that bad. I get it when I occasionally get an egg mcmuffin. I just can't stand the hot coffee or any of their McCafe stuff. Hah

What, you don't want to try a frappee today? :r

MiamiE 04-20-2010 07:39 PM

So whats a good, moderately priced, clear container french press? Got my wife to buy in.

ChicagoWhiteSox 04-20-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiE (Post 833884)
So whats a good, moderately priced, clear container french press? Got my wife to buy in.

Bodum french press
+
Good grinder
+
fresh roasted coffee
=
best coffee, it will beat the sh!t out of Mac and Starbucks, DD, ect...

MiamiE 04-20-2010 08:08 PM

Is it possible to buy ground coffee and it be as good as whole bean? Dont have a grinder!

ChicagoWhiteSox 04-20-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiE (Post 833907)
Is it possible to buy ground coffee and it be as good as whole bean? Dont have a grinder!

No.

Also, you want a coarse grind for the press. Find a good coffee from an online roaster, and you can buy it ground. Just won't be as good as grinding your own.

ChicagoWhiteSox 04-20-2010 08:20 PM

You could also get some fresh coffee from your local coffee shop. They will most likely grind it to your specs for no charge.

Mpython24 04-20-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox (Post 833891)
Bodum french press
+
Good grinder
+
fresh roasted coffee
=

I agree with this 100%

Brutus2600 04-20-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox (Post 833891)
Bodum french press
+
Good grinder
+
fresh roasted coffee
=

Bodum makes a great french press, and you can get a size to fit you too, if you're just wanting to make a single cup or enough for two people and multiple cups.

Make sure you get a burr grinder, don't get one of those blade grinders, they don't grind the coffee evenly and you end up with some coarse ground coffee and fine ground coffee. Doesn't work well with the french press (or drip for that matter). The burr grinder gets a great even grind. You can pick a decent one up from Target for around $25.

As far as coffee beans go here are the do's and dont's. Do buy whole bean. Do try different brands, you'll find one you like. Don't buy the grocery store bulk coffee in those bins...you don't know how long they've been sitting there. Biggest don't of all? Don't buy flavored coffee. Those are the coffee beans that were near the back of the truck that have all the wonderful exhaust flavoring imparted into the bean. The "flavoring" they put into those beans covers that up. If you want flavor in your coffee, buy some syrups and add those into your brewed cup.

Hope this helps you attain that wonderful and delicious cup of home brewed coffee. Yeah it seems like alot of work, but once you get the process down you won't spend any more time making it in the morning than you would waiting in line at the drive thru at whatever coffee place you'd go to. Plus, on the weekends a delicious fresh brewed cup of coffee goes great with a cigar :ss

JaKaacH 04-20-2010 10:26 PM

I have been a huge fan of the French press for years,,,,BUT you got to try the AeroPress
Here is a link to a thread about it..
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30772
Grind it fine, it has a filter so no French press silt...And so smooth. Yum...

smokehouse 04-21-2010 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutus2600 (Post 834088)
Bodum makes a great french press, and you can get a size to fit you too, if you're just wanting to make a single cup or enough for two people and multiple cups.

Make sure you get a burr grinder, don't get one of those blade grinders, they don't grind the coffee evenly and you end up with some coarse ground coffee and fine ground coffee. Doesn't work well with the french press (or drip for that matter). The burr grinder gets a great even grind. You can pick a decent one up from Target for around $25.

As far as coffee beans go here are the do's and dont's. Do buy whole bean. Do try different brands, you'll find one you like. Don't buy the grocery store bulk coffee in those bins...you don't know how long they've been sitting there. Biggest don't of all? Don't buy flavored coffee. Those are the coffee beans that were near the back of the truck that have all the wonderful exhaust flavoring imparted into the bean. The "flavoring" they put into those beans covers that up. If you want flavor in your coffee, buy some syrups and add those into your brewed cup.

Hope this helps you attain that wonderful and delicious cup of home brewed coffee. Yeah it seems like alot of work, but once you get the process down you won't spend any more time making it in the morning than you would waiting in line at the drive thru at whatever coffee place you'd go to. Plus, on the weekends a delicious fresh brewed cup of coffee goes great with a cigar :ss

:tpd:

Great advice above.

I just bought a burr grinder after my whirlybird took a dump. Wow what a difference. Burr grinder is the way to go. I always thought Moo was a burr grinder salesmen and was pulling my leg.

I used to drink Foldgers, Maxwell House, etc, black in an auto drip and thats all I would drink, and liked it. Once I started getting into buying whole beans and then the French Press I never went back to Drip or the other coffees mentioned above, they just don't taste right anymore. I have to add sugar and sometimes cream to make them tolerable to drink. Then I got into home roasting. Thats another story there.

Sometimes I wish I would have stuck with the cheap grocery store mass produced ground stuff and never got into the good stuff, but now I'm addicted to the good now and if I had to go back to the cheap crap I would probably just stop drinking coffee.

shilala 04-21-2010 06:25 AM

I can't choke down McDonald's coffee, it's way too acid for me. Gives me heartburn.
I haven't had a cup in years, but when I was forced to "way back when" I would dump a packet of salt in it. That smooths out the bitter and acid.
We have convenience stores here called Sheetz. I like their coffee, but it's poop, really. It's about two rungs above Mickey D's, but I'm strangely drawn to it. I put a ton of milk in it so I can drink it.
For fresh ground coffee, I usually get Tanzanian Peaberry and Ethiopian Yirgacheff at Target, mix the two, and burr grind it. It's really good for a change of pace.
Other than that, I drink Maxwell House Light, or I mix their house blend with Walmart brand decaf. Keeps the caffiene down and I need it that way. I'm not even supposed to drink it, it screws me up.
I thought the comment about Starbucks being a 10 was funny. It tastes like dirt to me. I always b!tch when Lisa or the kids make me go to Starbucks because I just plain don't like it.
DD and Mister Donut coffee I always really liked. It's low acid and sweet like the Peaberry or JBM.

Brutus2600 04-21-2010 08:07 AM

Yeah...I'll drink starbucks, I don't hate it per se, but their coffee is over roasted IMO.

My all time favorite is 100% Kona coffee. My grandparents/mother/aunt lived in Hawaii when my grandpa was stationed there in the 70's and fell in love with the place. They live here in Texas now, but they visit almost every year. Whenever they go I have them bring me back some Kona fresh off the island, hehe.

shilala 04-21-2010 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutus2600 (Post 834298)
Yeah...I'll drink starbucks, I don't hate it per se, but their coffee is over roasted IMO.

My all time favorite is 100% Kona coffee. My grandparents/mother/aunt lived in Hawaii when my grandpa was stationed there in the 70's and fell in love with the place. They live here in Texas now, but they visit almost every year. Whenever they go I have them bring me back some Kona fresh off the island, hehe.

I was getting some 100% kona from the farmer's market in Hilo, but it's super scarce. One of the brothers here used to send it for me. It's very limited and in high demand. The price reflects it, but I've paid a lot more for half as good.

Brutus2600 04-21-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 834312)
I was getting some 100% kona from the farmer's market in Hilo, but it's super scarce. One of the brothers here used to send it for me. It's very limited and in high demand. The price reflects it, but I've paid a lot more for half as good.

My parents are moving to Hawaii, they're still up in the air which island they want to move to. Whichever one it is though I'm hoping I'll be able to get a regular shipment of Kona Coffee from them ;) lol.

Speaking of Kona Coffee, a little off topic but not entirely...

If you can find it, try the Kona Brewing Co. - Pipeline Porter. It's brewed with Kona coffee and is definitely one of my fav Porters :D

shilala 04-21-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutus2600 (Post 834322)
My parents are moving to Hawaii, they're still up in the air which island they want to move to. Whichever one it is though I'm hoping I'll be able to get a regular shipment of Kona Coffee from them ;) lol.

Speaking of Kona Coffee, a little off topic but not entirely...

If you can find it, try the Kona Brewing Co. - Pipeline Porter. It's brewed with Kona coffee and is definitely one of my fav Porters :D

I have to stay away from the stuff. The caffeine really works up my condition. From time to time I can cheat, but if I buy a bag, I'll put myself in the hospital. I'm that stupid. :D

Starscream 04-21-2010 08:57 AM

I drink McDonalds coffee, but the best coffee for me is old convenient store coffee.

irons 04-21-2010 08:59 AM

McD's... haven't drank it since I worked there. I found a little bit of their soft serve in the bottom of the cup made it drinkable. Lets us not talk about how long ago that was though.....

Target carries French presses in various shapes and sizes. IIRC, even a travel mug press for one cup on the go. As well as blade grinders for sub-$30. They aren't great, but they get the job done.

For beans check your grocery stores or local coffee shops. Pick up a 1/2 pound and have them grind it. In my area, most mega-marts have whole bean coffee and a grinder right there.

Google turned up this article for independent coffee shops in Miami:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...od_cup_of.html

King James 04-21-2010 09:46 AM

Oh boy, the way this thread is going.... if you are already considering buying roasted and getting a french press and grinder.... you will be roasting and hanging in the coffee forums with the rest of us!

MiamiE 04-21-2010 09:53 AM

My wife is out buying the press and the grinder! No roasting yet!

T.G 04-21-2010 10:52 AM

Took less than 17 hours.

I think that's a new record.

MiamiE 04-24-2010 04:44 PM

Have had my press for two days now. Works perfect. Got some course DD coffee. Tastes great. Definately thicker and more flavorful!

captain53 04-24-2010 04:46 PM

Try anything other than the standard grocery brands (Folgers, Maxwell House, etc) it should be better!

MrsPartridge 09-05-2010 04:43 AM

McDonald's now has amazing coffee! If you haven't tried it in the last year or so, you should give it a try. It's absolutely wonderful.

It used to be awful, but in Canada, people line up around the clock for fast food coffee (tim horton's) and so McD's worked on a superior coffee and they've done it.

Also Wendy's in Canada has great coffee now too.

Subvet642 09-05-2010 05:19 AM

At home I usually drink instant coffee because I can use three tsp in a cup; I like my coffee crunchy, like Navy coffee. At work, my desk in the lobby is eight feet from the coffee cart, and the lovely woman who runs it is from Antigua and she makes it extra strong. :tu

MrsPartridge 09-05-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsPartridge (Post 978033)
McDonald's now has amazing coffee! If you haven't tried it in the last year or so, you should give it a try. It's absolutely wonderful.

It used to be awful, but in Canada, people line up around the clock for fast food coffee (tim horton's) and so McD's worked on a superior coffee and they've done it.

Also Wendy's in Canada has great coffee now too.

Oh boy, I think I spoke too soon. Their coffee was great when I used to take it with double cream. Now I'm drinking coffee black. Ordinary Folgers at home is great black, btw. I tried McD today with no cream/no sugar and it was kind of bitter and acidic. Too bad I didn't have any salt on me to help with that.

floydpink 09-05-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiE (Post 833907)

No, not even close. A decent burr grinder for drip or french press isn't an expensive investment.

Where is Mr Moo?

SmokeyJoe 09-05-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydpink (Post 978486)
... Where is Mr Moo?

:r Pretty sure the thread title would have turned him off... :D

pektel 09-05-2010 03:48 PM

i drink espresso. I have an espresso machine at home. I buy my espresso beans from caribou coffee. Although i believe this chain is only regional. I prefer it to starbucks.

Starscream 09-05-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsPartridge (Post 978383)
Oh boy, I think I spoke too soon. Their coffee was great when I used to take it with double cream. Now I'm drinking coffee black. Ordinary Folgers at home is great black, btw. I tried McD today with no cream/no sugar and it was kind of bitter and acidic. Too bad I didn't have any salt on me to help with that.

Isn't all black coffee bitter?:confused:

mobarbq 09-10-2010 10:38 PM

Seconding ChicagoWhiteSox's motion, etc. French press for me all the way. I got a great coffee at Target of all places... Ethiopian Yergacheffe I think it was ( sp. ?) It was very good. I will drink McD's but usually only if I am on the road and it is more convenient to just drive through. I really would rather put the cream in myself and they always want to do it for you now to save time (for them).

theoneandonly 11-27-2010 12:58 PM

Having had a variety of coffee while in the CG, I would have to say that Kona coffee is pretty freaking good. I haven't been able to find it any other place outside Hawaii. I bought some DD french vanilla to brew at home and really enjoyed that. I've also tried some S-Bucks that was not good. I usually go with a mocha or latte from them now. The McD's near me has decent coffee that is pretty good. However, I did drink coffee that was hours old or burnt while in the CG so anything that isn't old or burnt tastes good to me. This thread has me rethinking my coffee situation. Right now I do an auto drip. I've been tossing around the idea of a french press for a couple years.