Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Cheap alternatives to "cigar" beads? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8853)

Thrak 01-26-2009 12:14 PM

Cheap alternatives to "cigar" beads?

I need some beads but dont look forward to spending that much money at this time. I've been using google and notice that people use kitty litter beads in their humidors, claiming that they do the same basic thing, even saying you can find specific Rh beads at the pet store! :confused:

Anyone know anything about this, or can lend some insight? This will be used in a 150ct humi, that is full and the 4 drimystat sticks just cant keep up during winter.

Thx!

md4958 01-26-2009 12:23 PM

Re: Cheap alternatives to "cigar" beads?

do you really want to loose those 150 sticks because you want to save a couple dollars?? its not worth it in my opinion.

Contact Shilala, he will set you up with what you need and you wont regret it.

bobarian 01-26-2009 12:25 PM

I dont get it. You are willing to spend hard earned money on your cigars, but not willing to spend $10-20 for an ounce or two of beads? Just doesnt make sense to me.

dunng 01-26-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md4958 (Post 192465)
do you really want to loose those 150 sticks because you want to save a couple dollars?? its not worth it in my opinion.

:tpd: :ss

Thrak 01-26-2009 12:41 PM

You get a few oz of beads for $40 + shipping

or a few pounds of beads for $15.

Its quite a difference, especially if they do the same thing.

bobarian 01-26-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrak (Post 192535)

THEY DONT DO THE SAME THING! Kitty litter is meant to absorb cat pee! :rolleyes: I think you need to do a bit of research. 2oz bead tubes are $15.99. If you are looking at something other than Heartfelt, Cigarmony or Shilala's beads you are looking at the wrong stuff.

md4958 01-26-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrak (Post 192535)

I really dont think they do. I dont have a cat, so I cant say first hand... but I dont think kitty litter RELEASES humidity?? Perhaps Im incorrect.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14

Heartfelt beads cost around $18 for half a POUND, and Im sure you would only need a fraction of that! Shilala beads are similarly priced.

You can use the calculator on the Heartfelt site to get an idea of how many beads you need... just enter in your humi's dimensions and voila.

Thrak 01-26-2009 12:53 PM

I didnt expect the intense negativity here... just looking for an alternative. bobarian, cat pee = liquid = humidity.

they are made of the same stuff, what is the difference? Please educate me, nicely. :)

roughrider 01-26-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md4958 (Post 192465)

+1. Pay the few bucks for the best beads out there and protect your investment.

md4958 01-26-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrak (Post 192596)
I didnt expect the intense negativity here... just looking for an alternative. bobarian, cat pee = liquid = humidity.

absorbing humidity is one thing. being able to absorb and release is entirely different, wouldnt you agree?

Quote:

they are made of the same stuff, what is the difference? Please educate me, nicely. :)

Are they?? Shilalas beads are made from clay, not sure what Heartfelt beads are made of, but they are totaly different

Don Fernando 01-26-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

they are not made of the same stuff. Cat litter only absorbes humidity, humidity beads absorb and release humidity depending on the RH of the humidor.

14holestogie 01-26-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

I don't think anyone is trying to be negative, I think they are speaking from experience. Cat litter absorbs humidity, it does not release it.

If you have only a few dollars invested in cigars, then cat litter may work for a short while. If you have a more sizable investment, all we're saying is protect that investment by spending a few bucks more to do it right.

I experimented with the crystal cat litter (unscented) a year or so ago. It does not remotely compare to a quality bead. We are not trying to line anyone's pockets here, but go to a reputable dealer for a reputable product.
I myself am the pround owner of 3 pounds of Shilala beads and will go nowhere else when I require more.

Do what you think is best, but I think the comments you see are the voices of experience.

bobarian 01-26-2009 01:20 PM

I may have yelled, but I see absolutely no negativity in my statements. Do what you want. You are not the first person to have thought up this "solution" There are reasons most use beads, if you choose to use an alternative that is up to you.

shilala 01-26-2009 01:27 PM

Kitty Litter is not "the same thing" nor does it "do the same thing".
Funny thing is that not only does kitty litter not work in humis, it doesn't work as kitty litter. That's why it's discontinued. :D (It sizzles when cats pee on it and most refuse to use it.)
I've done tons of tests on all sorts of humidifying media and all the results have been posted at Club Stogie in the past.
It takes more than 9 times the volume and 9 times the surface area for kitty litter to even begin to compare to the efficacy of Mark's or Dave's beads.
It takes more than 17 times the volume and 17 times the surface area for the kitty litter to compete with my HCM beads.
The kitty litter costs about 15 bucks for 7 lbs. That's about $35.00 for 17 pounds. Shipping on 17 pounds is definately going to be at least 10 bucks.
A pound of my beads runs $45.00 shipped and they come in their own permanent bags.
So for the same price, you can either use 17 pounds of kitty litter or 1 pound of my beads.
You'll also have to arrange the kitty litter to bear enough surface area to be effective. You could use 2-8 ounce bags of my beads, or 34-8 oz. bags of kitty litter.
So I guess, if you want to generalize, silica gel kitty litter does do the same thing.
I've tried it, tested it, and found it worthless to me for the way I do things.
I use 5-8oz. bags of my beads in my winadors. I can't fit 42 bags of kitty litter in there. :)
Hope this helps you understand what "does the same thing" really means. :tu
Good luck with whatever direction you choose!!! :)
Scott

WyGuy 01-26-2009 01:27 PM

You might want to take a look at watersorb, here's the link http://www.watersorb.com/prices.htm

I bought two pounds of it, and it seems to be doing the trick for the moment. However, I do plan on buying some of Shilala's beads eventually.

shilala 01-26-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyGuy (Post 192720)
You might want to take a look at watersorb, here's the link http://www.watersorb.com/prices.htm

I bought two pounds of it, and it seems to be doing the trick for the moment. However, I do plan on buying some of Shilala's beads eventually.

Watersorb is just SAP. It simply gives off and absorbs water, there's no control over RH levels. It won't adsorb water from the air once it's wetted, either. It only works in one direction, and that's to give off water.
If you hydrate it with a 50/50 propylene glycol solution then you can keep your RH at 70% in your humi.
You gotta supply ample surface area though, and that's tough when you have a big humi. It takes up a lot of floor space.

MedicCook 01-26-2009 01:37 PM

I will be needing to get some of your beads soon Scott.

gettysburgfreak 01-26-2009 04:59 PM

you could always pick up a few drymistat tubes at 10 bucks a piece. I used them before I picked up some beads and they worked well. You do not want to skimp on humidification as others have said. Why spend all that money on cigars and have no adequate way of keeping them humidified?

Mugen910 01-26-2009 05:00 PM

just go to the devil site and get some beads on the cheap if you're worried about $$ but keep in mind that if your sticks don't maintain RH then you will eventually have to invest in some real beads.

ChINaMaN1472 01-26-2009 05:25 PM

I'm with the rest of the logical people in here.
You've already spent plenty of money on the cigars, what's another $20 bucks for beads to keep your cigars properly humidified?

It's like buying a Ferrari then asking around for the cheapest oil and tire change shop.

KidRock 01-26-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChINaMaN1472 (Post 193432)
I'm with the rest of the logical people in here.
You've already spent plenty of money on the cigars, what's another $20 bucks for beads to keep your cigars properly humidified?

It's like buying a Ferrari then asking around for the cheapest oil and tire change shop.

Off the record....Oil change in the new ferrari is 450 dollars. The point goes to show...If you have 150 cigars and there at least lets say 10 dollars each thats 1500 dollars worth of smokes. You would want the best.

Do you put a 12 pack of bud in the trunk during August and open one up 3 weeks later? No, because it will taste like pee.

Sauer Grapes 01-26-2009 06:07 PM

Oddly enough, a 12 pack of Bud tastes like pee without sitting in the trunk.

AD720 01-26-2009 06:11 PM

I actually tired using the Kitty Litter silica beads in my cooler a while ago. I put them in and the humidity jumped up to over 80% in a matter of minutes. Just not enough control IMHO.

Les Nessman 01-26-2009 06:15 PM

I recently made the switch to heartfelt beads and have no regrets. To help keep costs down I purchased a half pound of beads for $18 + shipping and made up my own containers for them. Used an old humigel jar, modified the old humidity device (with the foam) that came with the humi and poked holes in couple of mini mm candy canisters to hold the beads. I lose points for looks, but I am holding steady at 65%.

md4958 01-26-2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Nessman (Post 193593)
I recently made the switch to heartfelt beads and have no regrets. To help keep costs down I purchased a half pound of beads for $18 + shipping and made up my own containers for them. Used an old humigel jar, modified the old humidity device (with the foam) that came with the humi and poked holes in couple of mini mm candy canisters to hold the beads. I lose points for looks, but I am holding steady at 65%.

and old set of pantyhose would also make a nice bag allowing plenty of surface area

MedicCook 01-26-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md4958 (Post 193598)
and old set of pantyhose would also make a nice bag allowing plenty of surface area

For ease of use, have your wife/gf take them off first.

markem 01-26-2009 06:35 PM

Someone will possibly chime in with the brand, but there is one kitty litter that has roughly the same properties as beads. That is, it gives up moisture below about 65% RH and absorbs above that. Can't recall if it was here or at another site that the posting was made, but it was made within the last 6 or so months.

I've always used Heartfelt beads. Scott's beads have the same high respect as the one's from Heartfelt. I have 8 lbs of the heartfelt in 4 large storage units (2 vinos, 2 100 qt coolers) and one 1 oz tube in my 150 count Savoy humidor (new addition and the difference is amazing).

The funny thing is that I've always considered beads to be a cheap and safe alternative to other humidification devices, but everyone has their threshold, especially in a down economy.

It would be cool if the litter info gets posted and you are able to run some tests with it. For "humidify and forget" however, beads are my personal choice.

chippewastud79 01-26-2009 06:55 PM

If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right. Get yourself some real HCM or rH beads :2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes (Post 193561)
Oddly enough, a 12 pack of Bud tastes like pee without sitting in the trunk.

:tpd::D

Tio Gato 01-27-2009 03:50 AM

If you feel that beads are too expensive, take a look at Humi-Care jars that are sold on C-Bid for a good price. I've had great results with these jars, especially in my tupperdores. Water Pillows may work for you too.
Good Luck.

SeanGAR 01-27-2009 08:01 AM

Pretty much anything will absorb and release water, as will kitty litter and that old wool sweater you received for Christmas in 1986. The key is getting something with enough moisture absorptive capacity so you don't need to recharge once a day and the proper hysteresis curve so you maintain the humidity you seek. I use and recommend beads, the humi care jars get moldy on me after a few months unless I spike them with benzoate or something.

Thrak 01-27-2009 09:50 AM

Thanks for the info guys... I got some more drimystat sticks.

Put them on the credit card though. :-/

yitlin 01-27-2009 10:37 AM

If you've never had a DPG Blue label that tasted like Fresh Step, then you've never truly lived.

shilala 01-27-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanGAR (Post 194955)
Pretty much anything will absorb and release water, as will kitty litter and that old wool sweater you received for Christmas in 1986. The key is getting something with enough moisture absorptive capacity so you don't need to recharge once a day and the proper hysteresis curve so you maintain the humidity you seek. I use and recommend beads, the humi care jars get moldy on me after a few months unless I spike them with benzoate or something.

I have no idea why that made me laugh, but you got me. :D
I think it's cause when you said kitty litter I thought of my cat's litter box.
He ain't much of a house cleaner.

tobii3 01-27-2009 11:12 AM

:lv

I guess I've just been around way too long.....

I still use a chunk of PG soaked oasis foam in a small tub in my cooler-dor....been doing that for many years now

bobarian 01-27-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobii3 (Post 195501)
:lv

I guess I've just been around way too long.....

I still use a chunk of PG soaked oasis foam in a small tub in my cooler-dor....been doing that for many years now

Nothing wrong with PG, as you said its been used for years without problems. But some say they notice a slight taste difference. I suspect that is because their singles may be directly exposed rather than in boxes.

The thing with PG is that is regulates at 70%, many find their smokes to be tight or have irregular burns at 70%. I try to keep my sticks between 62-65%. :2

fuubar 01-29-2009 05:01 PM

I vote for buying sticks off the internet if humidity starts to drop. My vino has been in the range of 60-65 for the last 8 months. I even had to open the door for a couple hours to get it down.

Oh and get beads as a backup. My solution only works until you run out of money or space.

maddman 01-30-2009 01:08 PM

If their is a craft store by you go their and get poly gel for crafts, they come in a small bag used in pots to put fake flowers in. I have used them before getting the RH beads, they work alright and i still use them in a small humidor.

O and they only cost a few bucks

md4958 01-30-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrak (Post 195282)
Thanks for the info guys... I got some more drimystat sticks.

Put them on the credit card though. :-/

Thrak, do you mind me asking how much you paid for your drimystat sticks?

karmaz00 01-30-2009 01:33 PM

go to michaels, and get some water jewels, or cracked ice....there used for floral arrangements.....they work great.

doctorcue 01-30-2009 05:38 PM

I say Heartfelt. Been around the longest (I think; don't kill me if wrong) and I have yet to hear of any major probs. Not dissing Mark or Shilala; just my personal experience.

Yitlin... that cracked me up! :r

maddman 01-30-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karmaz00 (Post 204823)
go to michaels, and get some water jewels, or cracked ice....there used for floral arrangements.....they work great.

thats it Cracked Ice is the one i used

Yazzie 01-30-2009 05:46 PM

Why not just by some Cigar Beads and call it a day?

ucubed 01-30-2009 06:33 PM

Listen to Shilala, that is all

awsmith4 01-30-2009 07:30 PM

Ok the one question I didn't see answered is what size is your humidor? From this we can better find you the cheapest option.

I use Shilala's beads and some Heartelt beads and they both work great, but Shilala's recover faster.

Also I noticed you are in Canton so PM me and I'll show you a sight for local guys that herf regularly...even though my busy ass rarely gets a chance they are worth getting to know.

icehog3 01-30-2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awsmith4 (Post 205601)
Ok the one question I didn't see answered is what size is your humidor? From this we can better find you the cheapest option.

He said it was a 150 count, Albert. :)

awsmith4 01-31-2009 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 206027)
He said it was a 150 count, Albert. :)

Well reading comprehension was never my strong suit :hn

And ow I see the question has been answered

Thrak 01-31-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md4958 (Post 204773)
Thrak, do you mind me asking how much you paid for your drimystat sticks?

$9.95/ea

md4958 01-31-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrak (Post 206373)
$9.95/ea

I only ask because it seems that for the price of 2 humistat sticks you could have got an amount of beads that would meet your RH needs and you wouldnt need 5 humistat sticks.

too late now I guess. :D

pmp 02-03-2009 02:39 PM

It depends on what type of humi you have. I wouldn't use beads in a desktop. The gel is too convenient and works wonders in anything less than a 300 ct.

For coolers and cabinets beads are a must along with an electronic humidifier. That way they can act as a buffer.

2 drymistat sticks isn't bad but they also make those in rectangular elements too which have a larger surface area.

Flatsix 02-03-2009 04:05 PM

I'll back all the anti kitty litter responses. Paying for something that "regulates" humidity is of utmost importance when it comes to storing your smokes. I prefer 65% beads, I have them in both of my humidors in the perforated tubes. Everytime I open the lid, the digital reading is no more than +/- 1 point from the 65% level. Try that with Jonny Cat, it'll never work.

I use beads and a poly gel with distilled water and my smokes always burn well and don't have any undesirable tastes. Spend the money on the beads, you only have to buy them once and you'll always be glad that you did.