Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Lets See Your Hunting Rifles (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4820)

Tombstone 11-24-2008 01:38 PM

Lets See Your Hunting Rifles

What kind of hunting rifle do you have? I am thinking about getting into deer hunting. What kind of rifles do you guys suggest? Thanks

Diesel Kinevel 11-24-2008 01:47 PM

Re: Lets See Your Hunting Rifles

Well you have to ask yourself some questions first.

1. where are you hunting?
2. can you use rifle in that area or is it shotgun only?
3.what type of terrain are you hunting in (wide open or heavily wooded)
4. how many different types of animals do you plan on harvesting with one rifle?

I myself hunt mostly in shotgun counties. I use a Mossberg 500 20ga with a rifled barrel and bushnell scope. I do have a Remington .270 that I use when I go hunting in rifle counties.

ahc4353 11-24-2008 01:50 PM

This is going to be a great thread.

I use a couple different ones depending on area hunting and mood.

Browning BAR 30/06 (Was my dads)

Winchester Model 94

Remington 700 (Black Powder)

As for where I have to use shotgun:

Belgium Browning 20GA (Bought by my dad for me as my first shotgun)

or

Remington 1100 20GA (Was my Grandfathers so I take that with me once in a while)

I really should line um all up for a group shot.

My dad always said, "It's not about the killin, thats just part, and not the best part of what huntin is".

Smart guy my dad.

TripleF 11-24-2008 02:21 PM

Sorry I can't really contribute......I just, and I mean JUST got a Remington Model 11 20 guage shiotgun from 1940 given to me and am about to shoot it for the first time this Friday,.

I am however going to subscribe to this thread and see what I can learn from some of the repected outdoorsman!!

rck70 11-24-2008 02:28 PM

I am just starting the Hunting thing...have not even been yet. I am going to be glued to this thread for info!!!!:ss

theycallmedan'lboone 11-24-2008 02:41 PM

Savage makes good rifles,
browning, Winchester, Remington, all these are good rifles. I've never been deer hunting, but 30.06 and .308 are what I hear to be recommended.... but then if you shoot it in the eyeball, a .22 will work.

AAlmeter 11-24-2008 03:36 PM

30-06 and .308 are plenty for whitetail. 30-30 is probably the most common deer rifle caliber east of the Mississippi with 30-06 at a close second.

I hunt in a county that does allow rifle. I do, however, carry my shotgun often as I am not comfortable with the rifle in certain locations and also when I'm on the move since I am much quicker with iron sights.

That being said, I hunt with a Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 with a 3-9x40 scope and a Remington 870 12 ga, with a SMOOTH bore and iron sights. I just can't justify spending more on sabot slugs than I do on 30-06 cartridges....especially since I've only seen them have a 20yd benefit vs. the smoothbore. Also have a Winchester 94 in 30-30, but that's been abused and is tough to get on paper at 50 yards....so its a wall hanger.

As far as suggestions, get a .22 and get used to shooting....it'll be a lot cheaper. For good rifles without breaking the bank, Savage and Tikka are the brands that come to my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel Kinevel (Post 84856)
Well you have to ask yourself some questions first.

1. where are you hunting?
2. can you use rifle in that area or is it shotgun only?
3.what type of terrain are you hunting in (wide open or heavily wooded)
4. how many different types of animals do you plan on harvesting with one rifle?

I myself hunt mostly in shotgun counties. I use a Mossberg 500 20ga with a rifled barrel and bushnell scope. I do have a Remington .270 that I use when I go hunting in rifle counties.

Answer some of them there feller's questions and we can give you some better answers.

rack04 11-24-2008 03:45 PM

I hunt with a Remington Model 700 BDL .270 caliber.

Tombstone 11-24-2008 03:53 PM

I am thinking about getting a Browning X-Bolt or a A-bolt rifle.

zonedar 11-24-2008 06:51 PM

Try and find a good old Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 30'06 and never look back.

ahc4353 11-24-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonedar (Post 85368)
Try and find a good old Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 30'06 and never look back.

My model 94 is Pre-64 I love that gun.

GhostRyder 11-24-2008 09:38 PM

Ahh great thread. I just bought my first deer (and-whatever-else-I-decide-to-hunt-in-the-continental-US) rifle. I wanted something that I'd be proud to hand down to a Grand kid. I went with a nice wood stock, Remington 700 CDL in 7mm Remington Magnum. I topped it off with a Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x40mm scope with a MilDot reticle. It is doing great so far. I love it and it is hella accurate. It is a nice change from my mall ninja world where I buy up "tactical" items like its my job (although I guess it sort of is).

Anyway, I highly recommend the 7mm Mag cartridge as it can drop just about everything in the U.S. It has good long range ballistics (the secret service uses it in a handful of the sniper rifles). The Remington 700 is also beautiful. I've had great luck with my 870 SuperMag 12 Ga and the 700 seems to be just as reliable. Just make sure when you mount the scope to put the screws for the rear mount in the rear mount and dont switch them up. Otherwise your bolt won't lock... problem.

SeanGAR 11-24-2008 09:41 PM

Savage 340 .30-.30 my great uncle gave me when I was 13.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92...P1010005-2.jpg

Not my gun but is exactly the same.

Remington 700 in .270 .. the gun my mother gave my father on their fifth anniversary. Sweet gun, scoped.

I have used my brother's scoped .300 savage (model 99 I think) with rotary magazine in the past ... used to be my mother's father's as well as my father's open site .303 Ross (accurate deer rifle, terrible trench gun).

SvilleKid 11-24-2008 10:55 PM

You can probably find a used level action Marlin 30-30 for reasonable. Great for any deer up to 200 yards, especially with the new Hornady ballistic ammo. Close in shooting is probably best with blunt tip bullets for the knock down power. Bullets normally about half of that for my .30-06 and son's .270 ammo Few areas that I hunt really benefit the longer range capabilities of the .270 or the .30-06. Heavy brush, less than 20 yards, can't beat 00 Buck shot in my Browning 12 gauge, 3 inch shells. Only drawback is longer barrel makes swinging in brush less favorable than a shorter barrel would be.

Ratters 11-25-2008 12:24 AM

I have two hunting rifles. A Ruger M77 in .270, nice, accurate, heavy and crap trigger. My other is a Kimber M84 classic in .308. Love the gun. Light, accurate, great trigger. Handles and shoulders like it was made for me. Perfect hunting rifle IMHO.

dccraft 11-25-2008 05:54 AM

I use a Marlin .30-30 or a Remington 870 shotgun smooth bore/iron sights depending on if I am in a rifle or shotgun zone. The LP of MI is kinda split east to west in the middle for rifle & shotgun zone.

The ol' 870 is a very good & accurate gun and has stopped many a deer in their tracks. The Marlin is also a great gun and is just the right fit as I seldom have a shot over 150 yards when hunting up north.

Tombstone 12-01-2008 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dccraft (Post 86021)
I use a Marlin .30-30 or a Remington 870 shotgun smooth bore/iron sights depending on if I am in a rifle or shotgun zone. The LP of MI is kinda split east to west in the middle for rifle & shotgun zone.

The ol' 870 is a very good & accurate gun and has stopped many a deer in their tracks. The Marlin is also a great gun and is just the right fit as I seldom have a shot over 150 yards when hunting up north.

You can hunt deer with a shotgun? what type of shell do you use? do you need a scope on the shotgun?

ahc4353 12-01-2008 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone (Post 94284)
You can hunt deer with a shotgun? what type of shell do you use? do you need a scope on the shotgun?

Put a lot of venison in the freezer with a 20ga. Belgium Browning. As for the shell we used slugs and just the bead on the end of the barrel. Have since bought a slug barrel for it but never used it yet.

Tombstone 12-01-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahc4353 (Post 94290)
Put a lot of venison in the freezer with a 20ga. Belgium Browning. As for the shell we used slugs and just the bead on the end of the barrel. Have since bought a slug barrel for it but never used it yet.

I have a 12 ga remington 870 3 1/2in super mag. Could i use this to hunt deer if i use a slup shell.

AAlmeter 12-01-2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone (Post 94467)
I have a 12 ga remington 870 3 1/2in super mag. Could i use this to hunt deer if i use a slup shell.

One of the most common guns out there for shotgun only areas. What type of barrel is it and where are you hunting? If you're out west where you have very long shots, a shotgun might not suit you. Here in the wooded areas of the east, a shotgun will do 90% of what you need it to.

If your shots are within 100 or so yards, a rifled 12 ga with sabot slugs will do you well. 60-75 yards or less, a smooth more with iron sights and regular "rifled" slugs will work. 50 and under is good for a bead and smooth bore (unless you're really familiar with it). And 35ish and less 00 buck will do the job (if legal in your area).