Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Collecting Cigars Question (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67346)

Firemedic 07-31-2014 08:33 AM

Collecting Cigars Question

Hello everyone! It's been a while here since I've posted, but needless to say I've been working my butt off to fund my cigar addiction! Last night my neighbor and I got in a discussion after seeing the 2014 Opus22 release information. He and I both wondered if long term collecting of cigars really has any financial value to them? Don't get me wrong, I have a few cigars that are older and hard to get and yet enjoy once in a while. But is there any real increase in financial value as some of these various releases get older? Otherwise, I'll just keep having that rare smoke tucked away to showoff and then one day smoke!

equetefue 07-31-2014 08:48 AM

Re: Collecting Cigars Question

don't think there would be any benefit other than the one of smoking an amazingly well rested cigar a few years down the road with the company of a good friend and drink.

nutcracker 07-31-2014 11:37 AM

Agreed - even untouched boxes of premium cigars are difficult for individuals to sell for profit. This doesn't mean they don't command absurd prices at times. Most of us are not likely to live long enough to reap the reward, and there is not likely to be another event like the Cuban embargo do drive them up based on rarity alone.

Mot a bad investment for yourself, as rising taxes and prices will make cigars in general pricier over time

Buckeye Jack 07-31-2014 12:45 PM

I have been buying/smoking/collecting cigars since 1997. Lets say if I had bought as much stuff as I could get my hands on in 1997......assuming that I could buy stuff with at least 2-3 years age on them already (like I can today).

Based on history, NC's would really not command much profit other than some select series such as OR Anejo's and Padron Millenniums for instance.

The CC's (we are talking regular lines here, not special releases) however would command A HUGE profit. Someone who has a little better knowledge on exact prices could give some numbers. I have personally seen Mid 1990's Cohiba Robustos (which assuming they were around the same price new back then) go from around $14 a stick back then to hundreds of dollars per stick now.....

Again, depends on particular sticks and how they have aged as well.

shilala 07-31-2014 12:48 PM

NC's, there's very little to no financial upside at all. Most don't age well, either.
CC's become more valuable with age. They also age very well, and folks regularly pay a premium (and are happy to do so) to land a certain vintage. They're a very good investment and one of the few hobbies that isn't a one-way money sucker.

jonumberone 08-01-2014 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 1977738)
They're a very good investment and one of the few hobbies that isn't a one-way money sucker.

That only works if you don't light them on fire like I do. :ss

mosesbotbol 08-01-2014 07:35 AM

For NC's there are a few like Opus that would increase value over time, but best investment cigars are from Cuba. Safest bets are the humidors, Regional, Limited Edition, or top shelf production cigars like Cohiba, Sir Winston, Trinidad, Vegas Robaina, and cigars that don't sit long in the store like Monte 2's...

czerbe 08-01-2014 07:59 AM

I don't collect cigars I smoke them!! As far as them being an investment that has never really crossed my mind, I can't imagine paying more then MSRP for a cigar, and I'm not one to hunt down Rare or HTF stuff just to have it, there are so many great cigars out there right now that I don't need to find something that is older then myself... Now that being said I did have about 4 fingers of Johnny Walker Blue last night LOL :r:r

BlackIrish 08-01-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firemedic (Post 1977692)
Hello everyone! It's been a while here since I've posted, but needless to say I've been working my butt off to fund my cigar addiction! Last night my neighbor and I got in a discussion after seeing the 2014 Opus22 release information. He and I both wondered if long term collecting of cigars really has any financial value to them? Don't get me wrong, I have a few cigars that are older and hard to get and yet enjoy once in a while. But is there any real increase in financial value as some of these various releases get older? Otherwise, I'll just keep having that rare smoke tucked away to showoff and then one day smoke!

If you're thinking about buying some cigars in the hope that they'll increase in value, CCs are the way to go. It can happen with NCs, but IMHO, OpusX aren't the way to go, because they're released every year and it's hard to find a compelling reason to pay a lot more (on top of an already steep MSRP) for a 2014 Opus22 when you can buy the current release.

When I've seen NC cigars appreciate in value, it's because they're pretty special cigars that are hard to find. Some of the early special Tatuajes, for instance (I'm thinking T110 and Pork Chop), can command a premium, and some early special edition Viajes did too. But there's a fair bit of guesswork and risk involved.

On the bright side, I've generally found that collection-worthy NC cigars *hold* their value. If you buy a special box because you want to smoke them, and later decide they no longer suit your palate, or if you need to liquidate to get some cash or buy new cigars, you often can recover your costs or at least come close.

But I buy cigars to smoke, not collect, so I may just be talking out my a$$.

RWhisenand 08-01-2014 10:15 AM

If you're collecting cigars in order to make a profit, you have many more, and better investment vehicles at your disposal than cigars. If you're collecting for your own enjoyment, than you should see a nice return, if not monetary.

mosesbotbol 08-01-2014 12:11 PM

I have never seen the prices of cigars (or many other things) go down when you want to buy them again. Whether that is an investment or inflation; don't know.

jsnake 08-01-2014 05:18 PM

I think they increase in trade value for sure and potentially selling value. If you have a full box of something that was expensive to begin with you may have trouble selling it for a higher amount. But take singles and fivers and you may make some money. I am not saying to go price gouge other brothers but there are certain limited edition hard to find sticks that I have paid double price for and I do not regret it. I see no problem with this since someone had what I wanted and I was willing to pay their asking price. Sure I would have loved MSRP or a cheaper price but I knew it might be a missed opportunity if I passed it by.

Look on eBay at Liga Privada stuff and the absolutely ridiculous prices people are selling them for. It is insane and to me what is even more insane is that people actually buy them. I do draw a line at a certain point.

I think you would get more bang for your buck trade wise though. I took some HTF stuff from just a few years ago and traded for a large lot of HTF sticks I was really interested in. He got what he wanted and I got what I wanted.

Regardless I am in this to smoke and make friends and not to make a profit as a collector. To me it is all about the chase and finding those things I want and enjoying them on a special occasion.

Subvet642 08-02-2014 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonumberone (Post 1977882)
That only works if you don't light them on fire like I do. :ss

:lr

mikesr1963 08-02-2014 08:57 PM

An investment is made on something that will be worth something should the stock market lose its ass again. Meaning, should it fall again who would be willing to trade you goods and services for a cigar? No one. Maybe someone else who collects cigars, but guess what, they too will have a bunch of worthless sticks they will try and use to buy a loaf of bread with.

AdamJoshua 08-02-2014 09:10 PM

=\