Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Oliva Serie V Maduro (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20084)

kydsid 08-16-2009 12:52 PM

Oliva Serie V Maduro

Smoke Date: 8/14/09

Cigar Specs:
Shape: Torpedo
Length: 6.5
Ring Gauge: 52

Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Body: Medium-Full
Strength: Full
Price: $10.00

Pre-Light:
Construction is flawless with the pointed cap perfectly assembled. Even though these are brand new the cigar is oozing maduro sheen and even appears to have some white flecks. After cutting the draw is good but not easy, it takes a bit of effort. I can already taste the strength of this cigar and taste woodsy flavors. The cigar lit very easily and the burn wasn't perfect, a result of too little time in the humidor after delivery if you ask me, but never required retouching.

First Third:
A wonderful strong woodsy and nutty flavor dominates the first third of the cigar. Even after a few puffs the power of this cigar is kicking like a mule. I have a full stomach from a great lunch and a dark beer in front of me and I still immediately feel this cigars power. The smoke is voluminous and silky with a pleasant not overwhelming amount per puff. The draw is even and concise. The ash is white and quite compact but still requires a tap off quite early. This shows the cigar despite a short rest is burning quite evenly.

Second Third:
The nutty flavor of the first third is gone. A woodsy flavor dominates providing a singular but great taste to the cigar. Of course it could be that my tongue is just numbed by the power this cigar contains. I find myself pacing myself very slowly as any increase in frequency brings a quick reaction that the beer and sugar filled soda have trouble countering. The smoke continues with the previous texture and the draw remains the same.

Last Third:

The cigar remains largely the same as the second third. No new flavors present themselves. As I am still smoking slowly I am able to smoke this fine cigar down to less than an inch without any increase in heat or change in flavor for the bad.

Overall Impression:
This is a very impressive cigar. I am one of the maduro nation and yet this cigar stunned me in its power. It has been a very long time since any cigar, especially on a full stomach, made me queasy. The first third was very enjoyable but the lack of more complex flavors after that made this cigar a little one dimensional. I have to say if I had to choose between a regular V and the maduro I would choose the regular. That said a very impressive point of this cigar was that I enjoyed all two hours it took to smoke. A must try for any Oliva or maduro fan. :tu

- Jason

Overall Rating – 3.5/ 5 Stars

dubnick 08-16-2009 01:01 PM

Re: Oliva Serie V Maduro

Thanks for the review :tu

Kreth 08-16-2009 01:43 PM

Thanks for the review. I'll have to try one of these.

Skywalker 08-16-2009 02:00 PM

Very thorough review!!!:tu

Sounds like these are coming around since the first reviews!!!

I've had one resting for awhile now!!! Might have to break it out!!!

WildBlueSooner 08-16-2009 02:45 PM

Thanks for the review!

groogs 08-16-2009 04:58 PM

Nice review, I smoked on about a month after they came out. I didn't find them to be very strong, but they did show potential .

GHC_Hambone 08-16-2009 06:04 PM

Sounds tasty! I love the Natural V's so I'm gonna have to try these. Thanks for the review.

Mr B 08-17-2009 04:20 PM

Nice review, thanks. I have one thats got a few months on it. Sounds like its almost time. :ss