Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   iPhone 4s cases?? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=52678)

DMK 01-16-2012 05:49 PM

iPhone 4s cases??

I just upgraded my phone to the 4s and I'm looking for opinions on what to do for a case... I'm primarily looking for a cover without beltclip and want good protection for the phone.

Thanks in advance,

CigarGuy88 01-16-2012 06:03 PM

Re: iPhone 4s cases??

I'm a big fan of the incase slider cases.. had one for my 3gs and beat the living sh!t out of it and the phone was perfectly fine. They make a version for the 4 as well so I can't imagine it being lesser quality. Right now I'm using a mophie juice pack plus which is a battery case that seems to add an easy extra full battery filling (works as a charging external battery when you need it vs an added active battery). Dropped it quite a few times and the phone is fine although the case is a bit beat up.

SvilleKid 01-16-2012 06:03 PM

I use an OtterBox. $40-50 depending on where you buy. All my family ended up with these. I've dropped mine many times. So far no damage to any of the four we have using OtterBox

kelmac07 01-16-2012 06:10 PM

I use the Otterbox Defender as well...best $ 49.95 I spent. :tu :tu

Sauer Grapes 01-16-2012 06:42 PM

The defender is bulky, so much so that it doesn't fit comfortably in my pocket (or am I just happy to see you?).

I liked the Otterbox Commuter for the 3gs, but it isn't as good for the 4/4s. Still, it's pretty darn good protection and enough thinner than the defender that it does go in my pocket fine.

Bill86 01-16-2012 06:49 PM

I just use the incase, knock on wood but the screen is still "new". But you can get a cheap $10 stick cover type deal for it. Wouldn't help a drop but scratches would be prevented.

The Otterboxes are great but the belt clip breaks every time. I broke 2 for the 3G. It is definitely too big to put in a pocket as well.

markem 01-16-2012 06:50 PM

We just got a 4s and went with the otterbox as for previous iPhones. No one says that you have to use the clip. We don't.

Digs 01-16-2012 06:56 PM

I really liked my Otterbox Defender BUT when it was on I had a lot of trouble with my home button not responding! My buddy had the same exact issue and got his phone replaced because his home button wasnt working. (his problem also ended up also going away when he removed the case)

I had it on my phone for a month now have a $39 case sitting on my counter.... I replace my case every month or two. Go to 5 Below and can get some very nice cases for $5

croatan 01-16-2012 07:28 PM

I like the Incipio Feather. It's thin and allows the phone to be docked. I just don't like big cases--I want my thin and light phone to be thin and light.

Flynnster 01-16-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarGuy88 (Post 1532446)
I'm a big fan of the incase slider cases.. had one for my 3gs and beat the living sh!t out of it and the phone was perfectly fine. They make a version for the 4 as well so I can't imagine it being lesser quality. Right now I'm using a mophie juice pack plus which is a battery case that seems to add an easy extra full battery filling (works as a charging external battery when you need it vs an added active battery). Dropped it quite a few times and the phone is fine although the case is a bit beat up.

I've got an Incase on my new iphone as well. Works pretty well, although I dropped it yesterday and a piece of it chipped off. Phone is great though and the bit that broke isn't going to expose it to any damage.

Thought about an otterbox but it is just too bulky.

jsnake 01-16-2012 07:44 PM

Griffin Survivor is so much better then the Otterbox. I have one on mine and the wife's. Yes it is a little bulky but for my line of work it is perfect. Has a hard inner case and soft outer case that was designed for the US and UK military. It also has a clip that attaches either front or back for however you want to carry it. They are hard to find but run $30 to $39 and are on the internet.

independently tested & certified to meet conditions outlined in us department of defense mil-std-810 & uk department of defense
integral display shield deflects wind/rain
rigid internal frame protects from shock/drop
sealed ports block blown sand/dust
silicone cladding blocks vibration
multi-position clip attaches securely to pack strap or belt

Boz 01-16-2012 07:47 PM

I use an otterbox defender on my 3gs and will buy one as soon as I upgrade to the 4s. $15-20 on Amazon. Mine has survived my daughter who is now 2.5 and likes to pick up the phone and throw it if she sees in sitting within her reach. It is a little bulky but the protection is what's important to me.

colinb913 01-16-2012 07:56 PM

I don't have a iPhone, but I use a otter box commuter on my Droid. Never had a problem with it and, I hate to say it, but am pretty careless with my phone. My mom has a otter box on her iPhone and has had zero problems with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

jwintosh 01-16-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digs (Post 1532500)
I really liked my Otterbox Defender BUT when it was on I had a lot of trouble with my home button not responding! My buddy had the same exact issue and got his phone replaced because his home button wasnt working. (his problem also ended up also going away when he removed the case)

I had it on my phone for a month now have a $39 case sitting on my counter.... I replace my case every month or two. Go to 5 Below and can get some very nice cases for $5

interesting. my older iphone's home button stopped working last week. had the defender cover on it. just upgraded to the 4s,,, defender case enroute from amazon.

Sauer Grapes 01-16-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwintosh (Post 1532578)
interesting. my older iphone's home button stopped working last week. had the defender cover on it. just upgraded to the 4s,,, defender case enroute from amazon.

It's not the case, it's a flaw in Apple's design. Mine is starting to do that also, as is my wife's and we don't use the defender.

I was told once by someone in the know that the home button wasn't designed to take as much use as the phone calls for. Supposedly it is fixed in the 4s.

Boz 01-16-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes (Post 1532599)
It's not the case, it's a flaw in Apple's design. Mine is starting to do that also, as is my wife's and we don't use the defender.

I was told once by someone in the know that the home button wasn't designed to take as much use as the phone calls for. Supposedly it is fixed in the 4s.

:sh My 3gs is 3 years old with a lot of abuse and mine still works fine (it'll probably quit tomorrow :r)

Sauer Grapes 01-16-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boz (Post 1532604)
:sh My 3gs is 3 years old with a lot of abuse and mine still works fine (it'll probably quit tomorrow :r)

I don't know enough to say this with any authority, but may it's just the 4. Those are the only ones I've known to have it happen, and my original and 3gs were fine. I wonder if they used a different type of button (albeit one that looks the same)?

Digs 01-16-2012 08:50 PM

Let me clairify - my phone is the 4. Worked great i then installed the otterbox for my vaction to Hawaii - while on vaction thats when It started to act up- after about a month and almost throwing my phone out the window my wife pointed out that the problem only started with the case. I removed it and the problem went away 100%

CasaDooley 01-17-2012 12:56 AM

When my wife and I upgraded to the iPhone 4s I put them in Lifeproof cases. Waterproof, bomb proof and thin, but a little pricey. So far I'm really diggin em. :tu
http://http://www.lifeproof.com/

sikk50 01-17-2012 12:59 AM

I have a battery pack case on my 4. Makes it thicker and heavier, but it was $20 using amazon prime and gives me an additionally 70%, which comes in handy in my current job." (I'm bored a lot).