Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Thinking of getting in to fly fishing... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=69076)

DPD6030 02-25-2015 05:32 AM

Thinking of getting in to fly fishing...

I'm thinking of getting in to the fly fishing scene. Last year on the cold river the guy next to me was using a fly rod and limited out on steelhead within an hour or two. I was using a noodle rod and caught 1 in 6 hours. I'm also headed to Mexico and may be going to Ascension Bay for a day of fishing.

Any recommendations for a beginner on a fly rod/reel combo? Do you think I can become proficient enough by late July to make it worth my while?

Thanks for the info.

shilala 02-25-2015 09:14 AM

Re: Thinking of getting in to fly fishing...

Tons of good rods out there. Good line and tippet is super important.
My old man put a fly rod in my hands when I was a kid and sent me through the mountain laurel to hunt native brookies, hanging up my line and rod for an hour before I got to the water. All it did was made me hate fly rods.
But we lived on a lake and I'd break one out for panfish. It was a blast.
Tying flies is fun, too.
You'll enjoy it, Andrew!!! :tu

Remo 02-25-2015 09:35 AM

Cabelas usually has good beginner combo's, get something now, most likely a 6 wt. for the rivers you would be fishing in Michigan, start casting now and maybe you would be proficient enough for Mexico, a good guide can get novice casters on fish but you will need to have some skills.

Flynnster 02-25-2015 11:43 AM

I'm in the same situation as you, starting up this year. I think I'm going with the Cabelas RLS+ combo and some nice line.

tsolomon 02-25-2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shilala (Post 2020202)
My old man put a fly rod in my hands when I was a kid and sent me through the mountain laurel to hunt native brookies, hanging up my line and rod for an hour before I got to the water. All it did was made me hate fly rods.
:tu

I can relate to this, a friend of my grandfather taught me to fly fish for Crappies on little streams in Northern Virginia, but I caught more trees and bushes along the banks then fish. I haven't touched a fly rod for 30 years, but I plan on getting back into it this summer. My current plan is to take some lessons this spring and hope that I can try some equipment before buying it. :D

icehog3 02-25-2015 01:42 PM

I thought I read "Fly flashing".

Never mind.

nutcracker 02-26-2015 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2020301)
I thought I read "Fly flashing".

Never mind.

That depends entirely on where your mind starts......

E.J. 02-26-2015 08:24 AM

I would guess, assuming that you would be heading out with a guide in Mexico, they'd be able to take both fly rods and spinning gear, if your flycasting was not working.

I love to flyfish. Few things I enjoy more than walking a river, trying to outsmart trout.

Fishing the flats of Isla Blanca a few years ago.
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/...psf23bf9f5.jpg

As far as a beginner set up, I'd hit some shops & talk with the locals of where you plan on using it and what you plan on going after. Then you can start casting them, see what feels good, get some free casting pointers and get what feels right.

Flynnster 02-26-2015 08:46 AM

E.J. I tried stopping by my local shop and they seriously said that if I could spend $400 I might be able to get into just an ok rod and real, nothing else. I know they had less expensive options there.

I'll head there for fly recommendations and stuff, but at least starting out I'll be going online for my gear.

E.J. 02-26-2015 01:03 PM

Guess my original thought of a 9' 6W Sage One w/ a Hatch Finatic 5+ & have them throw in some SA GPX & backing is off the table...;)

Flynnster 02-26-2015 01:54 PM

If you are handing them out I'm sure neither DPD nor I would turn it down!

357 03-05-2015 01:44 PM

Andrew and Flynnster, let me know what you come up with. I'm in a similar boat. I've wanted to learn forever but I can't afford $400 to get started.