Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   J! E! T! S! Jets! Jets! Jets! (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34177)

ujponds 07-19-2010 08:50 PM

J! E! T! S! Jets! Jets! Jets!

Ok I know it's a little soon but I am fired up for football and have high hopes for the season! I've been a Jets fan my entire life and haven't been this excited since '99. those hopes were dashed when Vinnywent down for the season in week one. With Rex Ryan leading a team with this much talent the sky is the limit! . . . Who's with me!?

ChicagoWhiteSox 07-19-2010 08:58 PM

Re: J! E! T! S! Jets! Jets! Jets!

da bears

Big_Ern 07-19-2010 09:02 PM

ohhh Snap!!!! I thought you were talking about the Winnipeg Jets.....;s

TheRiddick 07-19-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujponds (Post 921708)
Ok I know it's a little soon but I am fired up for football and have high hopes for the season! I've been a Jets fan my entire life and haven't been this excited since '99. those hopes were dashed when Vinnywent down for the season in week one. With Rex Ryan leading a team with this much talent the sky is the limit! . . . Who's with me!?

I think we got lucky last year, but who knows. Let's see how the training camp goes first, injuries and players wise. Revis is still a holdout and may set an example.

elderboy02 07-19-2010 09:32 PM

Who-Dey!

ujponds 07-19-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRiddick (Post 921724)
I think we got lucky last year, but who knows. Let's see how the training camp goes first, injuries and players wise. Revis is still a holdout and may set an example.

It's true that we got a little lucky last season but everyone needs a little luck to get that far. If Sanchez doesn't take a step back we will be in every game with our defense.

From everything I've read Revis has no plans to hold out. Injuries and such happen that's for sure, but as a Jets fan if you can't be hopefull now, when can you?

ujponds 07-19-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elderboy02 (Post 921726)
Who-Dey!

If you don't remember WE DEY! Twice last season! We'll meet again Thanksgiving night. . . We'll see:banger

TheRiddick 07-19-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujponds (Post 921736)
It's true that we got a little lucky last season but everyone needs a little luck to get that far. If Sanchez doesn't take a step back we will be in every game with our defense.

From everything I've read Revis has no plans to hold out. Injuries and such happen that's for sure, but as a Jets fan if you can't be hopefull now, when can you?

Actually, I believe Sanchez is the weak link, unfortunately. He does have a few more weapons now with new signings and I hope he cuts down on bad decisions, but you cannot get to Superbowl throwing for just 175 yards per game. And running game is still a question mark until proven otherwise with Washington gone. Like I said, a number of question marks and I hope I am wrong.

icehog3 07-19-2010 10:50 PM

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a..._jets_1992.gif

ujponds 07-19-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRiddick (Post 921779)
Actually, I believe Sanchez is the weak link, unfortunately. He does have a few more weapons now with new signings and I hope he cuts down on bad decisions, but you cannot get to Superbowl throwing for just 175 yards per game. And running game is still a question mark until proven otherwise with Washington gone. Like I said, a number of question marks and I hope I am wrong.

I agree that Sanchez is the weak link. I think his numbers should improve now that he will not feel the need to force it to Edwards. With Holmes, Edwards, Cotch and Keller he has pleantly of targets. It's all mental at this point. Although I will miss Washington we did well without him for more than half of son. Alot depends on Greenes health ans weather or LT still has some gas in the tank. Have faith, these aren't the SOJ!

TheRiddick 07-19-2010 11:58 PM

I'm a Jets fan since early '80s, and I'd love to see them to finally win it all, but there are still question marks and I hope they are just that, question marks. I'd be much happier if they kept Pennington...

ujponds 07-20-2010 11:09 AM

I always liked Chad. He's a stand up guy, but he wasn't taking us anywhere with that noodle arm.

elderboy02 07-20-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujponds (Post 921741)
If you don't remember WE DEY! Twice last season! We'll meet again Thanksgiving night. . . We'll see:banger

I remember, but the Bengals have a better team this year than they did last year.

TheRiddick 07-20-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujponds (Post 922188)
I always liked Chad. He's a stand up guy, but he wasn't taking us anywhere with that noodle arm.

I'll take that, any day of the week, over making turnovers late in the game. Actually, Sanchez was made to throw short once it was clear almost every long throw of his is an interception, so what good is a strong arm?

I am more concerned with the Revis situation, though, as this can lead to dressing room problems with others also expecting improved contracts.

MiamiE 07-20-2010 12:34 PM

Dolphins owned the Jets last year. Watch out for more of the same.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...E/29722efa.jpg

TheRiddick 07-20-2010 01:10 PM

Jets own Dolphins for decades now, so what? Consider last year to be an anomaly...

The Poet 07-20-2010 02:20 PM

Sanchez may not have proven himself on the field yet, but he has certainly made a few friends here in town. He hangs around some in local restaurants, and is always willing to talk or sign something. So he may or may not become a star, yet has not yet shown any indication that he is a douche.

MiamiE 07-20-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRiddick (Post 922285)
Jets own Dolphins for decades now, so what? Consider last year to be an anomaly...

Decades? That's not a factual statement. If you look back. Dolphins owned the Jets in the 70's, 80's, 90's and late 00's. The only dominance you have had over the Dolphins was in the early 00's. ;)

pnoon 07-20-2010 02:51 PM

Why is it people love pissing matches but no one provides any facts?

From Wikipedia:
60s AFL Jets 8-0
70s Dolphins 14-6
80s Dolphins 11-9-1
90s Tied 10-10
00s Jets 13-7

Throw out the 60s and it's a wash.
Neither "owns" the other.
Posted via Mobile Device

TheRiddick 07-20-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 922397)

From Wikipedia:
60s AFL Jets 8-0
70s Dolphins 14-6
80s Dolphins 11-9-1
90s Tied 10-10
00s Jets 13-7

Posted via Mobile Device

Throw out the '70s and its not a wash... Why throw out anything?

Marino made the difference, somewhat, that's about it.

icehog3 07-20-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 922397)

From Wikipedia:
60s AFL Jets 8-0
70s Dolphins 14-6
80s Dolphins 11-9-1
90s Tied 10-10
00s Jets 13-7

Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRiddick (Post 922406)
Throw out the '70s and its not a wash... Why throw out anything?

Marino made the difference, somewhat, that's about it.

Throw out the 60s and 70s and it is 32-28-1 Jets. I would hardly call that "owning the Dolphins for decades".

pnoon 07-20-2010 03:01 PM

Whatever. :rolleyes:

Keep on pissing. :tu
Posted via Mobile Device

massphatness 07-20-2010 03:11 PM

You know who owns the Jets?

Woody Johnson
http://weblogs.cw11.com/sports/thehu...NSON%20PIC.jpg

The Poet 07-20-2010 03:14 PM

Am I the only one who giggles like Peter Griffin when he hears the name "Woody Johnson"?

ujponds 08-01-2010 04:02 PM

Just read Revis is officially holding out.

hotreds 08-01-2010 04:07 PM

http://images.kingtzk.multiply.com/i...zzOqtoA&nmid=0

timj219 08-01-2010 04:12 PM

I have nothing against the Jets. But if the Giants can catch a break from injuries the Jets won't even be the best team in their own city. August 16 pre season game should be fun even though it won't tell us much about which team will have the better season.

ujponds 08-01-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timj219 (Post 937018)
I have nothing against the Jets. But if the Giants can catch a break from injuries the Jets won't even be the best team in their own city. August 16 pre season game should be fun even though it won't tell us much about which team will have the better season.

Haha spoken like a true Giants fan. I respect the Giants org. and I like Eli, but aside from qb and defensive end the Jets a better in every position. speaking of injury, last year the Jets did what they did after losing Jenkins on D and Washington on O. The hate for the Jets is strong here, we'll see how the season shakes out. I just didn't see a thread on here to talk about the green and white so I thought I would start one. I should have expected the hate, I've been hearing it my whole life (especially from Giants fans). . .We'll see

timj219 08-01-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujponds (Post 937032)
Haha spoken like a true Giants fan. I respect the Giants org. and I like Eli, but aside from qb and defensive end the Jets a better in every position. speaking of injury, last year the Jets did what they did after losing Jenkins on D and Washington on O. The hate for the Jets is strong here, we'll see how the season shakes out. I just didn't see a thread on here to talk about the green and white so I thought I would start one. I should have expected the hate, I've been hearing it my whole life (especially from Giants fans). . .We'll see

It could be worse - this could be a yankees/mets thing. Now that can get ugly real fast. I live upstate so I have to deal with Bills fans too. :rolleyes:

TheRiddick 08-01-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujponds (Post 936999)
Just read Revis is officially holding out.

Why did anyone expect anything different?

ujponds 08-01-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timj219 (Post 937072)
It could be worse - this could be a yankees/mets thing. Now that can get ugly real fast. I live upstate so I have to deal with Bills fans too. :rolleyes:

Ah, a team we can both agree sucks!:tu

ujponds 08-01-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRiddick (Post 937080)
Why did anyone expect anything different?

The three years remaining on his contract.

Montano 08-01-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujponds (Post 921708)
. . . Who's with me!?

Ummmm....... NO !!

:D

ujponds 08-01-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montano (Post 937086)
Ummmm....... NO !!

:D

Ahahah! Are the niners still considered an NFL team?

TheRiddick 08-01-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujponds (Post 937084)
The three years remaining on his contract.

And that should have stopped him how?

Mangold is definitely paying attention and at this point and if Jets do not make good, and quickly, I can't see any high profile player ever wanting to play/sign for them in the future. If unproven rookie can get $50M deal, then what about proven players? Not that I agree with the crazy money deals we're seeing lately be it NFL, NBA or EPL, for that matter. Plus, if they want locker room stability they need to show they take care of their players.

Something has to give...

ujponds 08-01-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRiddick (Post 937208)

if Jets do not make good, and quickly, I can't see any high profile player ever wanting to play/sign for them in the future.

I think that might be a little over the top.

It is a bad situation because of namdi's ridiculous deal from Oakland and the uncertain future of the CBA. Hopefully they will find middle ground involving a 1 year bandaid kind of deal. He is quickly losing fan support in NY.

Mangold and Harris I'm sure are paying attention, but have shown up to camp like a team leader should. You are putting it all on the Jets, how about the player? I know he needs to get paid and I'm sure he will, but due to the current situation there has to be comprimise on both sides.

I don't think this will effect whether or not a big name free agent ever signs with the Jets again.

TheRiddick 08-01-2010 09:04 PM

I did not put it all on for Jets, I only pointed out that they refuse to even enter negotiations. For NOW they have not made ANY offers, at least none that I am aware of so far (despite all the talk they do in media). I understand Raiders/Namdi BS, but I can also point out that other teams/players have treated it is as a "one off", look at Broncos for the example. Too bad Revis is too greedy to understand this and yes, I know many Jets fans have also put it on Revis so I am not alone in this. Jets have to start making amends by making a decent enough offer, but they still need to make an offer FIRST no matter what the numbers are, so far they only showed that they were interested to see if Revis shows up for camp. I think many are in agreement that unless they offer some crazy deal (over Namdi's numbers) Revis won't even listen and by the looks of it I tend to agree.

The only saving grace so far is that Mangold seems to be smarter than Revis and reported to camp, that is the best way to show management you are a pro and also that you believe they will do the right thing for you. Revis is a CB, not a RB, chances of getting injured permanently are much less.

As things stand right now I won't be surprised if we see a trade taking place, Jets can get a lot back and having brought in 2 great corners in the off-season already they just may be in a much better position to negotiate than many realize.

But, as I said already, Jets HAVE to make a move FIRST... At least then if Revis refuses, then they can legitimately claim they tried.

ujponds 08-02-2010 03:43 AM

The Jets HAVE made several offers including long and short term. Revis has turned everything down because there wasn't enough up front. I would expect him to show up by the 10th as he will be fined 16,000 a day after that. there is really not to much the Jets can do concerning a long term deal until at least next off season. hopefully they can agree on something short term involving a big signing bonas if not, I hate to say it but the Jets could get a hell of lot in a trade. Rex Ryan has had some pretty good Defenses before he had Revis. As for me, I'm a fan of the team before ANY player.

Resipsa 08-02-2010 03:51 AM

Wow. that jets fan from last year, what's his face from last season is back, but with a new username, :r:r

ujponds 08-02-2010 05:37 AM

And I thought I was the only one on the board.

DBall 08-02-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timj219 (Post 937072)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujponds (Post 937082)
Ah, a team we can both agree sucks!:tu

Guys... I'm a lifelong Jets fan and I live in Rochester... it's, like, Bills country up here.

For the record, I loathe the Bills.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resipsa (Post 937532)
Wow. that jets fan from last year, what's his face from last season is back, but with a new username, :r:r

CoastieTech... When I saw the thread, I thought he started it... when I realized he didn't, I figured I'd see some posts of his in here... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujponds (Post 937566)
And I thought I was the only one on the board.

You are not alone. Where in NY are ya?

ujponds 08-02-2010 10:10 AM

Nice to see a friendly post!:salute:

I'm downstate near the NY, NJ, PA border off of 84.

DBall 08-02-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujponds (Post 937893)
Nice to see a friendly post!:salute:

I'm downstate near the NY, NJ, PA border off of 84.

Well... lemme know if you're ever up this way and I'll do the same next time I make it down there. :)

TheRiddick 08-02-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujponds (Post 937530)
The Jets HAVE made several offers including long and short term. Revis has turned everything down because there wasn't enough up front. I would expect him to show up by the 10th as he will be fined 16,000 a day after that. there is really not to much the Jets can do concerning a long term deal until at least next off season. hopefully they can agree on something short term involving a big signing bonas if not, I hate to say it but the Jets could get a hell of lot in a trade. Rex Ryan has had some pretty good Defenses before he had Revis. As for me, I'm a fan of the team before ANY player.

Interesting. Wide reports over past few days that although Jets seemed like they made offers, not even one official offer was ever made. I have not seen any numbers thrown out there by the team so far, have you? What are they?

Revis is on the record, though, that he wants to be the highest paid CB in the league and we all know it means $15+M per year (Raiders' monopoly money).

Team comes first, I am with you, especially now that Jets are rich at CB position Revis or not and last week a DB elsewhere signed in the region of $10-12M per year. But I would still like to see the management throw out some numbers out there to start negotiations and to justify their position, they are losing momentum at this point and we're headed towards a trade.

timj219 08-02-2010 11:26 AM

The Jets/Revis thing will probably work out. Some vets just don't like training camp much and will drag a renegotiation out in order to miss some of the two a days. Not saying Revis doesn't want more money but it's possible he's playing this for as long as he can and is enjoying doing all his workouts in the air conditioning in the meantime.
As for making numbers public I don't expect to see it. At least not officially. Maybe a leak will happen but you can never judge whether the leak was deliberate by the team or just a fantasy on the writer's part.

ujponds 08-02-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBall (Post 937904)
Well... lemme know if you're ever up this way and I'll do the same next time I make it down there. :)

Cool man, definitely will.

TheRiddick 08-02-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timj219 (Post 938026)
As for making numbers public I don't expect to see it. At least not officially. Maybe a leak will happen but you can never judge whether the leak was deliberate by the team or just a fantasy on the writer's part.

I only mentioned that because of reports in media over the weekend that Jets have NOT made ANY official offer so far, Tannenbaum himself admitted that. And to support that, I cannot recall ANY mention of numbers so far as well, be it the Jets numbers or Revis' agent's numbers, even via rumors. I hope Jets can extend his contract and keep the guy, but if their hand is forced and he has to be traded I won't mind, I am sure they can get a pretty good replacement in return on top of 2 great CBs that were brought in during the summer (draft and trade). Who's to say that newly drafted CB won't turn out to be another Revis in the making? By all the reports I've read so far I won't be surprised one bit... But it would be great to see Revis teach the guy a few tricks, that's for sure.

I am more concerned with Sanchez, to be honest, IMO he is the weak link this year.

TheRiddick 08-02-2010 08:12 PM

OK, Jets finally made 2 different offers over the weekend according to the latest news today. Both were rejected by Revis.

Trade time. He's not worth $16M a year.

ujponds 08-14-2010 06:53 PM

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/a...jponds/001.jpg

My son has had enough of the Revis drama.

Resipsa 08-14-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRiddick (Post 938712)
OK, Jets finally made 2 different offers over the weekend according to the latest news today. Both were rejected by Revis.

Trade time. He's not worth $16M a year.

Dude prob wants to play for a winning team ;)