Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   First pipe! (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=68909)

tengel78 02-02-2015 01:11 PM

First pipe!

Hi all,
I went to my local B&M today to pick up a couple of cigars and found myself browsing the pipe counter.
I've been thinking of trying a pipe and made the plunge today. I picked up the store branded pipe (Diebel) and a couple of samplers.
I got a quick tutorial and I'm on my way! I'm enjoying it so far and have a lot of learning to do.
Let me know if you have any recommendations on tobacco and different pipe styles I should try.

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/...f8c75c3ba5.jpg

WhiteMamba 02-02-2015 01:13 PM

Re: First pipe!

I took the plunge a few months ago. Enjoy the ride brother :tu

JLMraider 02-02-2015 02:36 PM

I like that nail tamper, I want to pick one of those up eventually.

My first pipe was a Oom Paul shape that I bought at a local antique store. The primary reason I picked it was I thought the shape looked BA. I enjoy Captain Black Royal and CAO Eileen's Dream. Get out there and try out as many different types as possible. You could get a corn cob or two also to build up your collection a bit. It will give your other pipe a chance to rest and I enjoy smoking from a cob anyway. Cobs are very low maintenance.

Did your B&M let you fill your bowl before you left?

tengel78 02-02-2015 02:51 PM

Thanks Michael!

Jonathon,
They did fill my bowl before I left and showed me how to light it. Thanks for the suggestions. I may pick up a few corn cobs before I spend more on different pipes.

nutcracker 02-02-2015 03:44 PM

Beware of this little venture. Pretty soon you'll have 15 pipes and 45 tins of tobacco and will be wondering what the heck happened.

We can help you along of course....

tengel78 02-02-2015 04:09 PM

Thanks Neil, I figured the slope would be similar to cigars, so hopefully I'm prepared.

DaBear 02-02-2015 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutcracker (Post 2015765)
Beware of this little venture. Pretty soon you'll have 15 pipes and 45 tins of tobacco and will be wondering what the heck happened.

This. Though for me its 10 pipes and so many open tins I'm afraid to count. It was bad enough when I had to move it took 3 boxes to put all my tobacco in :r

Sweet_Leaf_PDX 02-02-2015 07:54 PM

Nice! I've been getting more into pipe tobacco lately as well. Enjoy the ride :tu

Subvet642 02-02-2015 08:27 PM

What helped me was that I learned to dry the tobacco out a bit before smoking it.

badbriar 02-11-2015 10:04 AM

Quote:

sounds like my collection, too! BTW - Watch Neil - he helps a LOT!!! :hy

The.Sheepdog 02-11-2015 11:02 AM

I can have 15 pipes too if I got cobs! Pipes are expensive anymore. More so than even 7 years ago. I have not worked since 09. Still dont get any disability either yet. I wont even talk about the trouble Im having with the VA. It makes me upset.

But fortunately I have rediscovered cobs and love them!

Slow Triathlete 02-11-2015 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subvet642 (Post 2015815)
What helped me was that I learned to dry the tobacco out a bit before smoking it.

This is the 1st rule of getting into pipe smoking.

Especially with bulk blends. They put PG on the tobacco so that it will last longer on the shelf. If you don't let it dry out for a while then you get a gurgly, hot mess in your pipe that tastes awful.

Tinned tobacco uses less or none at all.

Just my 2 cents.

jsnake 02-11-2015 02:06 PM

Tyler, congrats on the new pipe and getting started. You should check out Cigar & Tabac in Overland Park. Best prices in the metro and home of the KC Pipe Club. Take your pipe in there for tips but also to sample all sorts of tobaccos. I started with cobs and learned on them but have a nice small assortment now. Be nice to meet up one of these days.

tengel78 02-11-2015 05:57 PM

Thanks Jake, I've beento Cigar and Tabac a few times to buy cigars. I need to check out their pipe stuff.

MarkinAZ 02-11-2015 08:07 PM

Welcome aboard the pipe train Tyler, and as you'll learn, is a very rewarding vice:noon

Quote:

...and that is only the top drawer Tyler. Ask him whats in drawer #2 and #3:D;)

The.Sheepdog 02-11-2015 08:09 PM

OOH! I can see a thought forming in my head! I need to buy a dresser drawer for my office! Good going!

jsnake 02-11-2015 09:13 PM

Tyler, herf on March 28th and Cigar & Tabac starting around noon and going until whenever. Heading to Cinzetti's after for dinner. Welcome to join pipe or cigar.

gravel 02-11-2015 09:30 PM

Fantastic! I remember my first pipe was a Pete and an oz of Lane BCA.

Enjoy the ride!