Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   India Pale Ales... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41016)

shark 01-08-2011 12:02 PM

India Pale Ales...

..in my not so humble opinion, are one of the best beers for the money. Sure, kinda pricey, especially for the really good ones, but worth every penny!:=: Currently, I'm sipping an Alimony Ale from Buffalo Bill's Brewery. Pretty tasty stuff!

Darrell 01-08-2011 12:25 PM

Re: India Pale Ales...

I love IPA, some of my favorites are Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada Torpedo, and Dogfish Head 90 min IPA! :dr

Powers 01-08-2011 12:34 PM

Enjoy it bro! :tu

hammondc 01-08-2011 12:49 PM

IPA
Dogfish 60 min
Stone IPA
Bells Two Hearted
Magic Hat
Ska Brewing Modus Hoperandus
Dales Pale Ale
Sierra Nevada Torpedo
Sierra Nevada Celebration
Ballast Point Sculpin

IIPA
Dogfish Head 90min
Stone Runiation
Victory Hopdevil
Victory Hop Wallop
Bells Hopslam
Founders Double Trouble
Avery Maharaja
Great Divide Hercules
Weyerbacher Double Simcoe
Moylans Moylander
Moylans Hopsickle
Harpoon Leviathan

Thats a good start.

Bill86 01-08-2011 02:08 PM

Nice list Chip, I'd like to add Three Floyds Alpha King to the IPA list. Also Three Floyds Dreadnaught to the Imperial IPA list. Stone's Cali Belgi is interesting to try.

kaisersozei 01-08-2011 02:10 PM

:tpd: I really don't have much to add to Chip's post, that's an awesome start. An awesome middle & finish, too!

I love brewing IPAs & DIPAs--I find they are the most satisfying, as I can tailor the recipe exactly to my liking, or to clone a popular commercial product pretty easily.

LostAbbott 01-08-2011 02:15 PM

Russian River Pliney the Elder
Sierra Nevada Estate
Hales Super Goose
Hales Aftermath
Boundry bay IPA

If you have the means try anything this has been fresh hopped, Deshutes brewing makes some great ones.

Also Here in Seattle, in the summer you can find a few places that will tap a keg and push the IPA through a 1/2inch tube stuffed full of fresh hops. It makes for some great beer.

mscales 01-08-2011 02:22 PM

I like them also. I have been buying COSTCO brand Kirkland beer. It comes in a sampler case of 24 with four different beers. All are good and made in America.

Steve 01-08-2011 02:35 PM

I'm actually enjoying a Dogfish 90 right now

hammondc 01-08-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill86 (Post 1124624)
Nice list Chip, I'd like to add Three Floyds Alpha King to the IPA list. Also Three Floyds Dreadnaught to the Imperial IPA list. Stone's Cali Belgi is interesting to try.

No kidding. I would LOVE LOVE to try the brews from Three Floyds (all of them) and Russian River (anything with Pliny in the name). Unfortunately, The Republic of Texas does not have these. Jerks.

hammondc 01-08-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostAbbott (Post 1124636)
Also Here in Seattle, in the summer you can find a few places that will tap a keg and push the IPA through a 1/2inch tube stuffed full of fresh hops. It makes for some great beer.

That is a Randalizer. never had the prevelidge. A tap house up the road from me said they are trying to get DFH 90 Min + a randalizer this spring.

Bill86 01-08-2011 07:42 PM

I had to wait till the parents went to visit my Aunt in Indiana to score a crapton of Three Floyds brews. They are freaking good....didn't last long. I hear ya on the Russian River as well. TN has no better luck.

larryinlc 01-08-2011 08:04 PM

Where do they come up with these names? I'm drinking a Snake Dog IPA right now. Good. I've had so many different IPA's from many brewers and I've concluded that they're all good. With the distinct taste of an IPA, there really seems to be not a lot of difference from one to another. Some seem stronger, but the taste is the taste. Oh, and what better cigar to go along with a good beer than a Diamond Crown Pyramid #7 Maduro. It's 4 degrees outdoors at the moment and I'm smoking indoors and nobody cares. It's a great day.:)

Larry

pnoon 01-08-2011 08:06 PM

Alpine Pure Hoppiness. :dr :dr
Racer 5

Bill86 01-08-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryinlc (Post 1125057)
Where do they come up with these names? I'm drinking a Snake Dog IPA right now. Good. I've had so many different IPA's from many brewers and I've concluded that they're all good. With the distinct taste of an IPA, there really seems to be not a lot of difference from one to another. Some seem stronger, but the taste is the taste. Oh, and what better cigar to go along with a good beer than a Diamond Crown Pyramid #7 Maduro. It's 4 degrees outdoors at the moment and I'm smoking indoors and nobody cares. It's a great day.:)

Larry

I dunno, I wouldn't say all IPA's taste the same but there is much more variance in Imperial IPAs. Drink a DFH 120 minute IPA and tell me it tastes anything like a Three Floyds Dreadnaught. I would say the same about the 120 minute VS a Stones Ruination.

kaisersozei 01-08-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryinlc (Post 1125057)
I've had so many different IPA's from many brewers and I've concluded that they're all good. With the distinct taste of an IPA, there really seems to be not a lot of difference from one to another. Some seem stronger, but the taste is the taste.

When I'm looking for differences in taste between IPAs, I check the hop varieties used. I wish more craft breweries listed their yeast, but many of them use the same few strains anyway, I believe.

hammondc 01-08-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill86 (Post 1125098)
I dunno, I wouldn't say all IPA's taste the same but there is much more variance in Imperial IPAs. Drink a DFH 120 minute IPA and tell me it tastes anything like a Three Floyds Dreadnaught. I would say the same about the 120 minute VS a Stones Ruination.

120 is in a class by itself. There is absolutely nothing else like it. ~19% ABV. Closer to a wine than a beer. Freakin good though. I have a few on hand here with some age. I would call it a 4xIPA.

bigliver 01-08-2011 09:27 PM

Love me some IPAs

Lagunitas
Bear Republic Racer 5

Bill86 01-08-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammondc (Post 1125130)
120 is in a class by itself. There is absolutely nothing else like it. ~19% ABV. Closer to a wine than a beer. Freakin good though. I have a few on hand here with some age. I would call it a 4xIPA.

Indeed :tu I only brought it up because it was the craziest IIPA out there. Pre 09 was 21%, they knocked it down to 18% now(09 and future). Rumor has it the 10/11 should be out soon. We'll see, I do like it a great deal I hope the 18% is just as good. It was my first craft beer so it holds a special place in my liver. I remember knocking out 3 of those bad boys a few months later....man that was a night I'll never remember. So tasty, yet so lethal.

Wolfgang 01-08-2011 10:02 PM

I may be the odd man out but really hoppy beers dont do much for me. Id much rather have a Boddingtons, Guiness, or any hefeveizen. :lt