Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   New Hobby: Bee Keeping (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72643)

icehog3 11-09-2017 12:32 PM

Re: New Hobby: Bee Keeping

Quote:

Originally Posted by massphatness (Post 2136753)
Yes, but I wanted to go old school for the sake of experience

Just like Tupac! :banger

massphatness 02-11-2018 09:19 AM

Sad news in the world of bees: as I feared, the ladies did not survive the brutal cold snap we had to start to the winter. I peeked in the hive yesterday as temps got up to 50* and was concerned I didn't see any activity. Even in the winter months, the bees will leave the hive when the temps get way enough in order to make cleansing flights to relieve themselves.

Looks like the entire cluster froze to death in a big ball. :(

Plenty of honey stores in the hive, so I know they didn't starve.

Grace & I are going to give things another shot this spring. Going to order a nuc instead of a package. A nuc is a working mini-colony of bees: 4-5 frames of bees who have already drawn out comb and are working with their queen. You slide the frames into the hive, and away they go. They'll have a head start on honey stores from last years hive -- I think I have 6-8 full frames of honey still in the hive -- so the hope is this helps them to rapidly build up & strengthen the hive.

Look forward to continuing the adventure, but kinda' sad about losing the bees.

markem 02-11-2018 09:23 AM

Sorry about the bees, Vin. Glad that you are going to continue.

BigAsh 02-11-2018 09:25 AM

I'm strangely saddened by the news...thru this thread, and personal conversation, invested in the project from afar... anything that would've prevented the result?? ...looking forward to the next round

MarkinAZ 02-11-2018 09:37 AM

Sorry to hear about Grace and your loss of the colony, especially after all of the nurturing given to the bee's.

Maybe before next Winter set's in, some form of wind break with a heat lamp pointed in the direction of the hive. That is, just enough heat to keep the freeze off the hive. Just a thought...

icehog3 02-11-2018 09:47 AM

You'll tweak it a little and have better success next winter, I am sure, Vin.

massphatness 02-11-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAsh (Post 2144267)
I'm strangely saddened by the news...thru this thread, and personal conversation, invested in the project from afar... anything that would've prevented the result?? ...looking forward to the next round

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkinOR (Post 2144268)
Sorry to hear about Grace and your loss of the colony, especially after all of the nurturing given to the bee's.

Maybe before next Winter set's in, some form of wind break with a heat lamp pointed in the direction of the hive. That is, just enough heat to keep the freeze off the hive. Just a thought...

May look into planting some shrubs as a wind break. I knew going in that could be an issue, but I thought the area was wooded enough to provide a natural break. Need to research what kind of shrubs do well in heavy shade.

Not sure a heat lamp is a solution. As I understand it, artificial heat can cause the bees to think it's warmer outside the hive than it really is, and they venture out and die.

CigarNut 02-11-2018 10:43 AM

Sorry to hear about this, Vin — I hope your next attempt is much more successful!

As others have said, I really looked forward to reading this thread and am saddened. Looking for to future updates later this year.

AdamJoshua 02-11-2018 11:17 AM

Sad news indeed, maybe their memory bee a blessing.

Seems like they didn't give their tiny lives in vain as you are already researching and looking to improve next time!

Dave128 02-12-2018 07:52 AM

Sad news, Vin. May round two bring better success.

8lug 02-12-2018 09:36 AM

Vin, sorry to hear that you lost the hive. I'm sure you'll have much better luck this time around.

shilala 02-12-2018 12:35 PM

Sorry to hear it, Vin-Bob. That sucks.
You can wrap the hives come winter, insulating them.
Or build a break with hay bales, or do a lot of other stuff.

Think about the size of the hive vs. the size of the colony (which I think you already have a good grasp on).
There's gotta be enough bees to keep the heat up in the hive. If the little buggers are already chilled, they'll bite the dust on cleaning trips even though they'll shorten them.
Consider maybe even a styrofoam cover you can cob out of blue construction foam and tack on, or remove a section?

Dux 02-12-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massphatness (Post 2144265)
Sad news in the world of bees: as I feared, the ladies did not survive the brutal cold snap we had to start to the winter. I peeked in the hive yesterday as temps got up to 50* and was concerned I didn't see any activity. Even in the winter months, the bees will leave the hive when the temps get way enough in order to make cleansing flights to relieve themselves.

Looks like the entire cluster froze to death in a big ball. :(

Plenty of honey stores in the hive, so I know they didn't starve.

Grace & I are going to give things another shot this spring. Going to order a nuc instead of a package. A nuc is a working mini-colony of bees: 4-5 frames of bees who have already drawn out comb and are working with their queen. You slide the frames into the hive, and away they go. They'll have a head start on honey stores from last years hive -- I think I have 6-8 full frames of honey still in the hive -- so the hope is this helps them to rapidly build up & strengthen the hive.

Look forward to continuing the adventure, but kinda' sad about losing the bees.

Vin, sorry to hear you lost the bees. fingers crossed for the next attempt!

massphatness 05-15-2018 11:09 AM

Bees 2.0

Having successfully managed to freeze my bees to death over the winter, I was left with a hive full of comb and a lot of usable resources like pollen & honey, but no ladies to work their bee magic.

The pic on the left shows the bees basically frozen in place between frames all bunched together as you might expect for warmth. Pic on the right is after I pulled the frames apart.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/968/2...4df0731d_n.jpg https://farm1.staticflickr.com/943/2...4d4733b5_n.jpg

This time around, since my first batch of bees had already laid a lot of the groundwork, I opted to go with a nucleus (or "nuc") which is basically a mini working hive of five frames complete with bees and a queen already making brood and storing honey and generally doing bee things.

It comes in a box like this, and thank god I brought bungee cords because one big bump on the road and that top comes flying off. Then voila -- bees in the Jeep!

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/964/4...5bffd041_z.jpg

And with that, I was ready to transfer the frames from the nuc to the hive ...

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/975/4...d0d434ae_z.jpg

More later.

stearns 05-15-2018 11:18 AM

The hive is alive! :wo

Dave128 05-15-2018 12:33 PM

Sweet! Maybe you should let the new hive winter in the Jeep?

BigAsh 05-15-2018 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massphatness (Post 2151874)

so much win here!

sigsauer 05-15-2018 01:48 PM

I will definitely buy honey

sigsauer 05-15-2018 01:59 PM

man I would love to have the time to do this

icehog3 05-15-2018 02:03 PM

Can't wait to meet the new bees! :D