Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Espresso at Home (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1192)

mosesbotbol 10-24-2008 09:47 AM

Re: Espresso at Home

Been using Silvia for like 10 years... Not as stable temps as I would like, but no complaints on the espresso. Replaced a few parts and is still going strong.

I do see a replacement on the horizon, distant horizon. Or as my girlfriend says "Put on the list..."

Mister Moo 10-24-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 32496)
Been using Silvia for like 10 years... Not as stable temps as I would like, but no complaints on the espresso. Replaced a few parts and is still going strong.

I do see a replacement on the horizon, distant horizon. Or as my girlfriend says "Put on the list..."

The Rancilio Silvia was the grail for home espresso for many years. As bigger, heavier, fancier-schmancier more temp. stable machines started getting attention for home use (at half-again or more the price of a Silvia) some of the gloss fell off "old reliable."

Then the smart coffee-dweeb boys starting putting PID (Proportional Integral Derivative) controllers on their Silvias for much less than the price of a fancy-schmancy new brewer and claimed results equal to perfection. What's not to like about perfection? Add $300 to a very good machine and have a perfect machine.

I have considered putting a PID unit on my Oscar now that some pioneers have shown the same results can get had with PID'd heat-exchanger espresso brewers, too. The coffee has been fine but, again, what's so wrong with perfection?

TOB9595 10-26-2008 11:54 PM

I am a newb pilgrim on the path of COFFEE.
I will shelve the idea of espresso...
Grinder and Moka POT? Huh?

Off to read about Mokas and grinders.
later
Tom

Mister Moo 10-27-2008 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOB9595 (Post 36735)
I am a newb pilgrim on the path of COFFEE.
I will shelve the idea of espresso...
Grinder and Moka POT? Huh?

Off to read about Mokas and grinders.
later
Tom

Just grinders, Tom. Nothing to read about mokapots; just get a 1-3 cupper Bialetti Express or Brikka (if you're the lazy, non- mechanical hands-on fidget type).

mosesbotbol 10-28-2008 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 32614)
The Rancilio Silvia was the grail for home espresso for many years. As bigger, heavier, fancier-schmancier more temp. stable machines started getting attention for home use (at half-again or more the price of a Silvia) some of the gloss fell off "old reliable."

Then the smart coffee-dweeb boys starting putting PID (Proportional Integral Derivative) controllers on their Silvias for much less than the price of a fancy-schmancy new brewer and claimed results equal to perfection. What's not to like about perfection? Add $300 to a very good machine and have a perfect machine.

I have considered putting a PID unit on my Oscar now that some pioneers have shown the same results can get had with PID'd heat-exchanger espresso brewers, too. The coffee has been fine but, again, what's so wrong with perfection?

Just started reading on this. Heard about it for years, now I am curious! On the fense whether to try this or sell my grinder/machine set and just go new. The upgrade I would want is around $3K...

havana_lover 11-16-2008 07:11 AM

looks like I better save my allowance so can play with the big boys when it comes to espresso... :D

It is like anything, computers, cars, HiFi stereos or whatever else.. if you want the best you need to invest..

Mister Moo 11-16-2008 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 39030)
Just started reading on this. Heard about it for years, now I am curious! On the fense whether to try this or sell my grinder/machine set and just go new. The upgrade I would want is around $3K...

I have veered away from alt.coffee but that's where the real technicians are, guys who were PID'ing everything (esp. the Rancilio Silvia) with excellent results. At least one man even PID'd an Oscar (HX machine) with similarly good results.

I don't know if your Silvia will provide the steam or recovery time you'd like, but it can deliver perfect water temp with a little help from the sidehack module.

http://www.terrystockdale.com/images...lvia_rocky.jpg

Bigwaved 11-16-2008 09:34 AM

I make my own. I roast my own. I am too lazy to blend my own. I do it 99% of the time now. It has made a dent in my regular coffee roasting/drinking. My wife looks at me cross eyed if she doesn't have her own every day. She cannot stand Starbucks anymore. My job is done with the exception of my art still being horribly abstract.

tobii3 11-25-2008 04:58 PM

Well, I'm getting better.....as compared to being a total retard, I'm now just a partial retard....

:r

First pull when I got home tonight from work....(I KNOW I need improvement, but I'm working on it!!!)

And NO, that is NOT Guinness!!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/tobii3/003-4.jpg

:dance:

Mister Moo 11-25-2008 07:01 PM

Well, it LOOKS like Guinness.

ghostrider 11-25-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobii3 (Post 87170)
First pull when I got home tonight from work...

So what kinda machine you using?

tobii3 11-27-2008 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 87470)

The one I was using during my last tour in Iraq (07-08)....and the tour before that (04-05)....:ss

Mister Moo 11-27-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 87470)

He does not surrender his secrets easily.

Pretty sure he got that pour from a Guinness bottle... :D

tobii3 11-27-2008 01:11 PM

:r

Nah, it wasn't a Guinness bottle....but I will tell you, some of the best espresso I've used in a while came from this......

Espresso Di Palermo

Dark Roast, Medium acidity, exceptional body, thick reddish crema, with strong notes of black cherry and dark chocolate

Buena Fortuna 11-27-2008 05:39 PM

Best place to get a Moka Pot? Stainless or aluminum?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mister Moo 11-27-2008 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna (Post 90007)
Best place to get a Moka Pot? Stainless or aluminum?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bialetti Moka Express 1-3 cup, aluminum. Moka, not espresso, technically spreeking.

Buena Fortuna 11-27-2008 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 90088)
Bialetti Moka Express 1-3 cup, aluminum. Moka, not espresso, technically spreeking.

Thank you,

Do retailers carry them as a general rule, or is it best to get them right from Bialetti?

mosesbotbol 11-28-2008 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna (Post 90264)
Thank you,

Do retailers carry them as a general rule, or is it best to get them right from Bialetti?

They are sold everywhere. I see them at discount stores now & then. Bialetti is a huge brand and widely distributed.

Mister Moo 11-28-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna (Post 90264)
Thank you,

Shop around, Under $20 for a three cupper is good.

Grind and fresh roast is important. See examples and learn the basics at: http://fantes.com/espresso-stovetop.html

This is an espresso thread, btw. Mokapot coffee is not true espresso - close, but no cigar. Read and discuss more about moka at:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=705.

ghostrider 12-14-2008 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 11857)
A few words about espresso.

1. It is the ultimate expression of coffee, as a fine cigar may reasonably be considered the ultimate expression of tobacco.

Why not combine both? Introducing...tobaccoccino