Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Experience of a lifetime....... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5797)

Blueface 12-07-2008 02:23 PM

Experience of a lifetime.......

I have been MIA for a while due to lots of things going on but mostly work.
I am back from a week of relaxation on a cruise that was too good of a deal to pass on, specially given the wife and I just have to drive a half hour to jump on board.

I could not wait to come back and share this with all.
I never thought I would see the day my eyes would see this sight again.
I was filled with so many emotions at the time.
I jumped for joy.
I cried.
I got goose bumps all over.
To some, this is a cloudy photo of a scene. It was a very cloudy day so I was quite fortunate to be able to capture this much.
To me, it is the most beautiful sight my eyes have seen in over 42 years.
Those that know me will probably have guessed by now that this is a photo of Cuba, captured by my camera, as seen through my very own eyes.
Even now as I type this, I am filled with emotions.
As I stood there for the half hour or so we cruised by it, I realized my wife's emotions were so much more complex than mine.
She too experienced the same feelings I did but for her it was much more special.
She was laying eyes once again literally where she was born. We were passing Pinar del Rio. Just over the mountains in this picture is Vuelta Abajo. Just near that area is her family's home. Just over those hills is a dad she can't hug or speak to on a regular basis.
I suppose the only way to cope with the incredible sadness and tears that come about even as I type is the fact at the very least, I got to see it again before I die. Hopefully, one day we can take that further and actually get to step foot on its soil.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s...o/CSC_0035.jpg

croatan 12-07-2008 02:28 PM

Re: Experience of a lifetime.......

Glad to see you back, Carlos.

Tony, Mikey, and I got together last night and we missed you greatly.

alley00p 12-07-2008 02:35 PM

Carlos, I'm moved by your description of your trip, and I will keep your wife in my thoughts. I only hope that someday soon she will be able to meet with her papa.

Welcome home!

:dance::dance::dance:

icehog3 12-07-2008 02:41 PM

Amazing description of the experience, Carlos. I hope that someday things will change enough to where you both can AND want to visit The Island.

JE3146 12-07-2008 02:45 PM

I can't even begin to explain how much this post and picture opened up my eyes to a perspective on 'things' that I'd never even considered before.

Here's hoping 'things' change in the coming years and you will be allowed to set foot on her again. :(

MNSmoker 12-07-2008 02:55 PM

That's a great story, and thanks for sharing it with us. I'm glad you and your wife got to share in that great experience, and hopefully one day the both of you will be able to return to Cuba. Your story definitely helps others to view what the embargo really means to some of us.

68TriShield 12-07-2008 03:21 PM

I can't begin to imagine Carlos...

kiwi michelle 12-07-2008 03:47 PM

Thanks for sharing Carlos.............there are some thing we take for granted and being able to go to a country that someone else couldn't was certainly something that I had.

Give Clara a big hug from me.
I am pleased to hear that you were able to have a nice cruise together.:)

Don Fernando 12-07-2008 04:06 PM

Carlos, I hope for you and your wife that Obama accepts the invitation of the Castro brothers and that the relations between Cuba and the US improve to the level that your wife and you can visit her family.

TideRoll 12-07-2008 04:28 PM

I'm very glad you got this opportunity.

Starscream 12-07-2008 04:44 PM

Carlos, I cannot imagin how you feel. Glad to hear you had this opportunity, and hope one day you can take it a step further.

floydp 12-07-2008 05:42 PM

Someday soon I hope its merely a flight reservation for you two to visit home brother. Thanks for sharing Carlos.

replicant_argent 12-07-2008 06:16 PM

Wonderful thoughts, my brother. Give yourself and Clara a hug for us.

Tenor CS 12-07-2008 06:23 PM

I lived in Miami for 15 years, and I made many wonderful Cuban friends who have similar emotions to yours. Thank you for sharing the story and photo. I raise my glass to you and hope for the best.

pnoon 12-07-2008 06:25 PM

I had been wondering where you had been.

What a profound and moving experience. I am happy for you both, Carlos.

jitzy 12-07-2008 06:30 PM

That is incredibly amazing, I really hope your wife gets to go back there one day

mikeyj23 12-07-2008 06:31 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience, Carlos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by croatan (Post 106409)
Tony, Mikey, and I got together last night and we missed you greatly.

That we did. We even talked about getting you down here again :tu

floydpink 12-07-2008 06:54 PM

Thanks for sharing that story Carlos. I felt sad reading it, and hope your family's hearts are filled with a joyful reunion in the near future.

Skywalker 12-07-2008 08:19 PM

Incredible!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

lenguamor 12-07-2008 08:27 PM

May your voice reach God's ear, Carlos.

It is my hope to one day set foot again upon the soil of a free Cuba; it is my dream to one day, once again, call it my home.