Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Just pulled the trigger on this (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=56436)

forgop 06-18-2012 03:38 PM

Just pulled the trigger on this

http://www.roastmasters.com/store/me...roduct_Count=0

Coffee they included was over $55, shipped free, and then I've got another $10 off $25 purchase on top of it. Looking forward to testing it out when it arrives. :tu

CigarSquid 06-18-2012 07:55 PM

Re: Just pulled the trigger on this

That looks awesome! Let us know how you like it.

Hem 06-19-2012 06:04 AM

Nice buy Duane! Didn't realize the cost on those roasters. The only ones Ive ever seen are the huge ones in the stores lol

Blak Smyth 06-19-2012 06:48 AM

looks like a nice setup! Enjoy!

Mr B 06-19-2012 10:52 AM

Nice Duane! Thats next on my list too. Perhaps for my B-Day next month.

:noon

ApexAZ 06-19-2012 11:00 AM

I want to get one eventually. The stovetop popper works, but it's kind of a PITA, especially when it's 110 degrees outside.

forgop 06-19-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexAZ (Post 1661043)
I want to get one eventually. The stovetop popper works, but it's kind of a PITA, especially when it's 110 degrees outside.

I had the Sweet Maria's "preferred" air popper (West Bend Poppery II 1200 watt model) that did fine for me. However, it seemed to not get up to the temp as before as roasts that were once 8-9 minutes were going 15 minutes and still not hitting 2nd crack. Otherwise, I may have stuck it out a while longer with it. If it was the popper itself, I guess I was more content making the upgrade now rather than invest another $25 on an air popper that I'd have to use multiple times/week whereas I can get by with a single roast every 7-10 days.

forgop 06-19-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hem (Post 1660795)
Nice buy Duane! Didn't realize the cost on those roasters. The only ones Ive ever seen are the huge ones in the stores lol

From my research (and I researched plenty), the Behmor 1600 seems to offer the best bang for your buck. I considered a couple of roasters in the $150-200 range, but reviews were very mixed. By the time you throw in the "free" coffee, it was really only an additional $50 to get the Behmor.

Above this, you then hit the $500 price point and then jump to $800-$1k.

floydpink 06-19-2012 07:14 PM

I've been roasting happily for 3 years on my Behmor and am sure you'll love yours.

physiognomy 06-19-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydpink (Post 1661397)
... am sure you'll love yours.

+1 They are great roasters! I've also been very happy with the service & products I've ordered from Roastmasters.

Patrick B 06-20-2012 01:27 AM

That's a cool unit. Congrats!

forgop 06-20-2012 07:00 AM

One question on this-it says not to use beans that are high chaffe. How do I specifically know which beans are high chaffe and which beans are not?

floydpink 06-20-2012 09:37 AM

I've never limited my beans to low chaff and haven't heard of this before.

My guess is they are referring to dry processed beans, but I've roasted plenty without issue.

Behmor did update their maintainance to include removing the side panel and cleaning out chaff from inside the unit a couple years ago.

Once you have about 30 lbs of roasting and remove the panel, you'll see why they did that, especially if you roast dark.

It's also a good idea to do a dry roast every 5 lbs and I even clean the inside with Simple Green every 10 or so lbs.

The improvements over the last year, like the lower chaff collector, have made the Behmor a very good roaster.

GreekGodX 06-20-2012 11:35 AM

I have this same roaster. Love it and no problems.

ashtonlady 06-20-2012 04:48 PM

I have one and havent had an issue. I use if for all beans.

forgop 06-20-2012 08:38 PM

It arrived today and I couldn't let it sit without trying it out.

Per the instructions, I did my first roast at just 1/4 lb and I used P2. I added like an additional minute and still didn't achieve 2nd crack. Guess I'll keep trying.

I like how it works this far though. Can't wait to start doing bigger roasts.

MarkinAZ 06-20-2012 09:05 PM

Congratulations Duane. She's a beauty:tu

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgop (Post 1661669)
One question on this-it says not to use beans that are high chaffe. How do I specifically know which beans are high chaffe and which beans are not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydpink (Post 1661819)
I've never limited my beans to low chaff and haven't heard of this before.

My guess is they are referring to dry processed beans, but I've roasted plenty without issue.

Behmor did update their maintainance to include removing the side panel and cleaning out chaff from inside the unit a couple years ago.

Once you have about 30 lbs of roasting and remove the panel, you'll see why they did that, especially if you roast dark.

It's also a good idea to do a dry roast every 5 lbs and I even clean the inside with Simple Green every 10 or so lbs.

The improvements over the last year, like the lower chaff collector, have made the Behmor a very good roaster.

As mentioned above, just make sure you maintain a regular roaster maintenance schedule and you'll be fine...

Mr B 06-21-2012 10:08 AM

Duane, from what I have read, you fool the unit into longer roast times by telling it 3/4 - 1 lb even thought you are only roasting 1/4 lb.

forgop 06-21-2012 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr B (Post 1662869)
Duane, from what I have read, you fool the unit into longer roast times by telling it 3/4 - 1 lb even thought you are only roasting 1/4 lb.

Yeah, that's kinda what I gathered from what I've read about the Behmor. I felt like I was doing that by adding the additional time based upon the typical time to reach 2C, but I may have just been hearing things. I fired it up today and did (2) 1/2# batches on P1 for a 1# cycle for the Malawi blend I have.

Cycle time is 18:00 and I hit 1C at 10:20/10:40 and 2C in 12:30/12:50. This is the yummy looking result.

floydpink 06-22-2012 12:59 PM

The easiest way to roast as far as you want and even beyond, is to set to P1, which will keep the elements on the whole time as opposed to the other roast profiles, which roast longer with on/off cycles with the burners.

If you push the plus(+) and max out the time allowed, you will never have problems roasting as dark as you want with about 3/4 pound roasts set to 1lb. This also takes you into fire hazzard territory, so be vigilant.

From there, once you get comfortable with P1, start trying out the other roast profiles and openeing the door after 1st crack to prolong the roast and second crack and all the other fancy stuff that really isn't necessary.

Nice and simple.