Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   No more Saturday USPS (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=60547)

hammondc 02-06-2013 06:55 AM

No more Saturday USPS

But...they will still deliver packages!!!!! :noon:noon

Linky Doodle-Doo

Steve 02-06-2013 06:56 AM

Re: No more Saturday USPS

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammondc (Post 1791761)

Linky Doodle-Doo

"The move accentuates one of the agency's strong points — package delivery has increased by 14 percent since 2010, officials say, while the delivery of letters and other mail has declined with the increasing use of email and other Internet services."

Hummmmm...I wonder...:D

hammondc 02-06-2013 06:57 AM

I have no problem with it. Sometimes I go a week without checking it unless I am expecting something.

Bondo 287 02-06-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammondc (Post 1791761)

Linky Doodle-Doo

I didn't get that from the article. But I'm only on my second coffee.. It mentions workforce reduction as well. The office will still be open but no one in the field. So I would assume you could still go down to the PO on Saturday and pick up your package.

Blak Smyth 02-06-2013 07:27 AM

So they will have to make special trips to deliver packages? I feel for the dispatchers!

emopunker2004 02-06-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth (Post 1791773)
So they will have to make special trips to deliver packages? I feel for the dispatchers!

Around here sometimes I see package specific trucks that almost look like a small fedex truck.

Zane 02-06-2013 07:32 AM

It was on the local news this morning as well. Specifically the whole "We will still deliver packages on Saturdays."

Seems crazy. Supposed to save 2B a year?

Bondo 287 02-06-2013 07:34 AM

EMO:
Hmm.. maybe so then. I have gotten deliveries before, from these ""gypsy" drivers in untagged vans... obviously sub contractors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zane (Post 1791775)
It was on the local news this morning as well. Specifically the whole "We will still deliver packages on Saturdays."
Seems crazy. Supposed to save 2B a year?

Then I guess it is so...

Digs 02-06-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth (Post 1791773)

I glad they are not ending Saturday package deliverys - It seems that every box of CC's always land on a Saturday :D

big_jaygee 02-06-2013 07:43 AM

Well I'm glad they will deliver the :sl packages... makes for a great weekend

x man 02-06-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emopunker2004 (Post 1791774)
Around here sometimes I see package specific trucks that almost look like a small fedex truck.

Yep, me too.

hotreds 02-06-2013 09:06 AM

What's the point of delivering packages and not FCM. Something typically govt. stoopid in that! Don't deliver ANY mail on Sat ok, but to have people going out in vehicles to deliver only packages doesn't seem like it will save much money!

Steve 02-06-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondo 287 (Post 1791771)
I didn't get that from the article. But I'm only on my second coffee.. It mentions workforce reduction as well. The office will still be open but no one in the field. So I would assume you could still go down to the PO on Saturday and pick up your package.

"WASHINGTON (AP) — Apparently trying an end-run around an unaccommodating Congress, the financially struggling U.S. Postal Service says it will stop delivering mail on Saturdays but continue to disburse packages six days a week."

Have another cup brother :cf1

hotreds 02-06-2013 09:16 AM

"disburse" does not necessarily mean "deliver." Kinda nebulous the way they put it. How many people would go to the PO on Sat just in case there might be a package waiting for them?

kelmac07 02-06-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotreds (Post 1791838)
How many people would go to the PO on Sat just in case there might be a package waiting for them?

If it contains cigars...I'm going. :r :r

mosesbotbol 02-06-2013 10:21 AM

I like USPS over UPS when it comes to packages.

icehog3 02-06-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotreds (Post 1791835)
What's the point of delivering packages and not FCM. Something typically govt. stoopid in that! Don't deliver ANY mail on Sat ok, but to have people going out in vehicles to deliver only packages doesn't seem like it will save much money!

A package delivery truck/carrier could likely cover several routes with one person.

SvilleKid 02-06-2013 10:57 AM

No skin off my nose! My local post office has been closed on Saturday for at least a decade. As far as I'm concerned, they could limit regular delivery to three or four days a week. I already have all my bills sent electronically, and I send out 95% of my work via email. And what few small packages I mail out get hand carried to the post office because I don't want them baking inside a mailbox oven for hours!

shilala 02-06-2013 11:23 AM

This quotation is the ringer. It's banned by Congress. It'll be reinstated in March. Donahoe can "interpret" all he wants, but what he interprets doesn't mean squat.

"Congress has included a ban on five-day delivery in its appropriations bill. But because the federal government is now operating under a temporary spending measure, rather than an appropriations bill, Donahoe says it's the agency's interpretation that it can make the change itself.
"This is not like a 'gotcha' or anything like that," he said. The agency is essentially asking Congress not to reimpose the ban when the spending measure expires on March 27 and he said he would work with Congress on the issue."

I've always wondered "why the constant battle?"
Anyone can look at the USPS operation and it's glaringly obvious that they pinch every single dime until it screams in pain. They won't even pay someone to clean the floors but once a week.
Congress can easily allow them to raise their rates. If they'd allow them to make a profit, the PO could invest in better ways to do things. But they can't.
It'd be nice if the PO could get outside help, like from UPS or FedEx. Or work some sort of deal and quasi-privatize. Just something to make them not suck, and make it a good-looking, well-staffed, awesome organization.
I didn't mean suck in the sense of the job they do, because they're freakin awesome. I meant suck as in the image they put forth.

hotreds 02-06-2013 02:38 PM

The USPS already does contract out a fair amount of package mail. And, it does appear that they will be delivering packages on Saturdays. What Tom said is true, but it sure would make more sense to just not deliver any mail on Saturdays. But, that's why these guys get paid the big bucks to make decisions!