Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Starbucks Verismo (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=59320)

longknocker 11-20-2012 04:42 PM

Starbucks Verismo

Just Bought This Since I Love Starbucks!:dr The Milk Pods Are Powdered & I Don't Care For That Flavor, Myself, So I Use Their Expresso "Pod" & Heat 2% Or Whole Milk In The Microwave & Add To The Expresso. Expresso Coffee & Regular Coffee Made In The Verismo Tastes Just Like The Starbucks Store To Me. Anyone Else Have An Opinion On Them Or Have One At Home?

kelmac07 11-20-2012 04:57 PM

Re: Starbucks Verismo

Tried one of these while we were down in Ocala...didn't care much for the taste, but then again, not much of a coffee/expresso drinker. And the price...$ 299...no thanks.

longknocker 11-20-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 1752903)
Tried one of these while we were down in Ocala...didn't care much for the taste, but then again, not much of a coffee/expresso drinker. And the price...$ 299...no thanks.

$199, Here, Mac.:) I Think It's Close To Same Price As Nespresso. I Think It's The Only Single Cup Coffemaker That Makes All Three: Expresso, Regular Coffee, & Latte. Just Curious To Know If There Are Any Better Coffee Makers That Do All This For That Price.

never_enough 11-25-2012 04:36 PM

I dont know if its better, but I have had my eye on this one. Its the tassimo T45. There is the T55 for a little more too.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...24434&RN=2004&

Zane 11-25-2012 05:00 PM

I think I will just let the little lady stick with her k-cups.

iaMkcK 11-25-2012 07:38 PM

I am a K-cup fan, and have tried some T-cups.. Not too big on the Tassimo. Had the Verismo at a Starbucks, it tasted good but it's still young yet. Maybe once it grows more it will force me to purchase it. For the average Starbucks junkie, it could pay for itself in a few months with the savings though.

Blak Smyth 11-26-2012 05:55 AM

I thought about buying one. I believe there are two different models, one is $199.99 and the other $299.99. I am not a fan of the powdered milk. For the price I went with a superautomatic machine that will grind and tamp beans and you can froth milk.

It was $299.99 a week ago, the price has gone back up a little bit but still a bargain:
http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/sae...ed-refurbished

I now have two of these machines, one at home and one in the office. I don't think there is a better deal out there.
K-Cups and the pods get expensive and you can't use fresh coffee.

forgop 12-12-2012 09:16 PM

The reviews of the Verismo haven't been that great from what I've seen. My wife mentioned she would like one and after a bit of research, I opted for the Nespresso Lattisima Plus instead. What I like about it is that I can detach and store real milk in the refrigerator and the reviews seem to be great.

Additionally, I'm going to try out some refillable capsules of sorts and see how that experiment comes out to make it much more cost effective as well. I lucked into getting the machine w/ 20% off plus it came with another $100 in credit for their capsules, so I can't wait to try it out myself. :)

AlohaStyle 12-12-2012 11:43 PM

I don't care what other people do, but I personally can't stand any espresso machine using pods. Unless I'm grinding my own beans and adding the amount I want, no thanks.

Blak Smyth 12-13-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlohaStyle (Post 1764315)
I don't care what other people do, but I personally can't stand any espresso machine using pods. Unless I'm grinding my own beans and adding the amount I want, no thanks.

I feel the same way however I have tried DBall's Nespresso and it is much better than you would think.

Greg, have you been using it much? How do you like it?

forgop 12-13-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlohaStyle (Post 1764315)

It appears that it is possible to use your own coffee if you buy a refillable pod. I saw a YouTube video where one guy did nothing more than packing the hell out of it and covering with foil.

Blak Smyth 12-13-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forgop (Post 1764375)
It appears that it is possible to use your own coffee if you buy a refillable pod. I saw a YouTube video where one guy did nothing more than packing the hell out of it and covering with foil.

You can use your own beans instead of pods but they say it doesn't work well. I tried a couple different ones with the Keurig (waste of beans) but never with nespresso.

forgop 12-13-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth (Post 1764402)
You can use your own beans instead of pods but they say it doesn't work well. I tried a couple different ones with the Keurig (waste of beans) but never with nespresso.

I'll be trying out the 4th generation Emohome pods. I'd bet it all has to do with finding the right grind setting and packing consistency more than anything.

If the experiment fails, it's still cheaper than the wife hitting up Starbucks all the time.

longknocker 12-15-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blak Smyth (Post 1764365)
I feel the same way however I have tried DBall's Nespresso and it is much better than you would think.

Greg, have you been using it much? How do you like it?

Tastes Just Like Starbucks To Me. I Don't Like The Powdered Milk Pods, So I Bought A Nespresso Frother From Williams Sonoma At My Son's Recommendation & The Lattes Are Great, Now!:tu

Blak Smyth 12-17-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longknocker (Post 1765827)
Tastes Just Like Starbucks To Me. I Don't Like The Powdered Milk Pods, So I Bought A Nespresso Frother From Williams Sonoma At My Son's Recommendation & The Lattes Are Great, Now!:tu

That is a good idea, it was the dehydrated milk that I was most turned away from.

forgop 12-17-2012 06:48 AM

Might as well just buy the Nespresso plus machine as its reviews appear to be much better than the verismo.