Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Winter Brews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23972)

BigFrank 10-31-2009 02:21 PM

Winter Brews

Following the Pumpkin Beer Thread trend. Here we go.

Tonight's winter brew for me will be a Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout. Stuff is 10% abv. So far so good. Got a nice bite too it, and not a ton of overpowering chocolate taste.

The Poet 10-31-2009 02:27 PM

Re: Winter Brews

I have no Brooklyn here in the store at this time, but I do have some Sam Adams Winter Lager. Guess I could grab a few Snickers from the Halloween stash we got for the kiddies and wash them down with that. :D

ChicagoWhiteSox 10-31-2009 03:53 PM

I picked up a winter lager in a pick six deal, it was pretty good. I may need a few more to form an official opinion:D I had a few NB 1554's last night that really surprised me. They were really good.

TheStatsGuy 10-31-2009 06:48 PM

Picked up a case of Magic Hat's winter brew. Anyone ever tried this?

Neverhad it before but I like most Magic Hat products (the new Waycko summer brew was fantastic IMHO). Will be partaking in several of these tomorrow! :tu

Scottw 10-31-2009 07:54 PM

my favorite hands down is Old Fezziwig's Ale in the Sam Adams Holiday Sampler.

MikeyC 10-31-2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottw (Post 626081)
my favorite hands down is Old Fezziwig's Ale in the Sam Adams Holiday Sampler.

:tpd:

Old Fezzi is a good one.

BigFrank 11-01-2009 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStatsGuy (Post 626023)
Picked up a case of Magic Hat's winter brew. Anyone ever tried this?

Neverhad it before but I like most Magic Hat products (the new Waycko summer brew was fantastic IMHO). Will be partaking in several of these tomorrow! :tu

Never had any Magic Hat brews before, luckily the local store I go to does carry them. I'll definitely have to grab a 6 pack.

Mark C 11-01-2009 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFrank (Post 625812)
Following the Pumpkin Beer Thread trend. Here we go.

Tonight's winter brew for me will be a Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout. Stuff is 10% abv. So far so good. Got a nice bite too it, and not a ton of overpowering chocolate taste.

I just grabbed some of that yesterday. Good stuff, though I could swear I remember it being a little less hops and a little more chocolate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFrank (Post 626359)
Never had any Magic Hat brews before, luckily the local store I go to does carry them. I'll definitely have to grab a 6 pack.

Grab some of the #9 while you're at it, it's got a hint of apricot flavor, goes down very easy. Though it's more of a summer brew than winter.

BigFrank 11-01-2009 05:15 PM

Will do. Going to stop up at that Wine World near you get some harder to find brews. Spot near me only has limited space, so unless I request it or the younger guy that works there drinks it, I'm forced to travel.

Mark C 11-01-2009 06:46 PM

My wallet winces every time I go in that place. There's always something new and tasty looking in the 'limited release' section.

Check the tasting schedule before you go, may be able to catch something good: http://www.mywineworld.com/tastings.php Usually wine, but there's usually at least one or two beer tastings each month.

macpappy 11-01-2009 06:56 PM

I picked up some Criminally Bad Elf. Just waiting for the right time.

BlackDog 11-02-2009 08:47 AM

My local shop has some Samuel Smith Winter Welcome on sale for $3 per bomber. It's last years stock, but should have aged fine for a year. I'll buy one first and try it before I go crazy with too many.

Stick 11-02-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackDog (Post 627666)
My local shop has some Samuel Smith Winter Welcome on sale for $3 per bomber. It's last years stock, but should have aged fine for a year. I'll buy one first and try it before I go crazy with too many.

Great find, but I'd definitely try one first. I haven't bought any Sam Smith stuff in years due to it being bottled in clear glass and seeming to me to always taste skunked.