Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Review: Ashton VSG Eclipse Tubo (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41777)

elderboy02 01-27-2011 07:03 PM

Review: Ashton VSG Eclipse Tubo

Date: 1/27/11

Cigar: Ashton VSG Eclipse Tubo (6 x 52)

Cost: I don't remember

Drink: Coke (The best cola)

Appearance: This cigar comes in a metal tube. The wrapper is a bit rough. I am giving the appearance a 5/10.

Pre-Light: I get a bit of cocoa on the pre-light draw.

Construction: The draw was pretty loose. When I cut the head, the wrapper cracked around the head which is strange because I store my cigars at 65% RH and I never have this problem

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...127_180651.jpg

Taste of the cigar: I tasted a little bit of chocolate and it also tasted a little bit nutty. The flavor seemed to be lacking. I smoked about 1.5" and then I put it out.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z...7_182033-1.jpg

Strength: This is a medium bodied cigar.

Summary: I have never cared for Ashton VSG's. I have tried so hard to like them because a lot of people like them. These in my opinion are not worth the cost. There are so many better smokes out there that cost a lot less. I am never going to buy this cigar again. I give this cigar a 2/10.

kelmac07 01-27-2011 07:06 PM

Re: Review: Ashton VSG Eclipse Tubo

I feel the same way about the VSGs Dan...I try like hell to like 'em. But I can't. :confused:

Zeuceone 01-27-2011 07:10 PM

I had the same issue with the head. I actually cut up the wrapper from another cigar up so I could "patch" it. That gave me a better draw but want perfect.

hscmit 01-27-2011 07:10 PM

more for me

I havent tried this particular size, but am sorry you didnt enjoy it

x man 01-27-2011 07:22 PM

I smoked it at 1st release, i liked it but it was a bit underfilled.
11.00 msrp, i think.

KingJaffeJoffer 01-27-2011 07:28 PM

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. With the VSGs, I happen to think the Spellbound size is miles ahead of the rest of them for some reason. I did try the Eclipse once and did enjoy it, however. Different strokes for different folks, if you don't like them you don't have to force it. We all have different tastes. I for one am not a fan of the Padron 64s natural (maduros are a bit better), most people would label me crazy, but it's my preference.
btw. what would rather smoke for the price? I'll give it a try.

sobranie10 01-27-2011 07:48 PM

VSG are a excellent cigar they can be a little bit harsh and strong if fresh, but longer you let them sit for a month or years they marry flavors and smooth out to a nutty, express coffee with a bit of citrus flavor very yummy. :dr :tu

hscmit 01-27-2011 07:54 PM

and I like them fresh

different strokes for different folks

sobranie10 01-27-2011 08:08 PM

Fresh or Aged brothers and sisters they are very well made and very consistent. :tu

CRIMPS 01-27-2011 09:08 PM

The one I have, I enjoyed. This seems like a polarizing smoke...

elderboy02 01-27-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingJaffeJoffer (Post 1151717)
...what would rather smoke for the price? I'll give it a try.

In what price range? Tatuaje Petit Cazadore, My Father, El Triunfador No. 1, VR Famoso, Bolivar Corona Extra, Dirty Rat, etc.

KingJaffeJoffer 01-27-2011 09:57 PM

For about what you paid for the VSG. Thanks! I'll give some of those a try.

elderboy02 01-27-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingJaffeJoffer (Post 1151928)
For about what you paid for the VSG. Thanks! I'll give some of those a try.

No problem man :tu Also, check out a Don Pepin Garcia Serie JJ Maduro and a Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic.

Krish the Fish 01-27-2011 11:29 PM

I've never had a VSG myself... Never really saw the appeal when I could have an Anejo for the same price(ish).

This is putting it farther back on my "to try" list.

Bruzee 01-27-2011 11:35 PM

That is too bad you didn't like the VSG. It is one of my all time favorites. I have to agree that the spellbound is probably the best size. Thanks for the review. :tu

x man 01-27-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sobranie10 (Post 1151765)
Fresh or Aged brothers and sisters they are very well made and very consistent. :tu

Man i havnt seen a Balkan can since 1974

Bill86 01-28-2011 02:29 AM

Sorry to hear, I've yet to try a VSG but this makes me never want to look for one. I had a VERY similar experience with a Diamond Crown Maximus Robusto No. 5 today. Good size stick, smelled good, but flavorless and muted. :td

longknocker 01-28-2011 03:56 AM

Sorry To Hear Your Disappointment, Dan. How Long Had This One Rested? Do You Think A Year Or So Of Rest Would Help?

Kingantz 01-28-2011 04:04 AM

Hate to hear the experience didn't go well. I smoked my first VSG a few years ago and thought it was awful, ended up giving a ton away as I wasn't going to be smoking them. But, my tastes have changed (a number of times) and can't even keep any in the humi I enjoy them so much now.

elderboy02 01-28-2011 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longknocker (Post 1152119)
Sorry To Hear Your Disappointment, Dan. How Long Had This One Rested? Do You Think A Year Or So Of Rest Would Help?

I picked this one up at the B&M last month. I have also smoked some aged ones, but I didn't care for those either. Besides, you age Cubans, I don't see why us as consumers should have to age NC's :sh It seems Ashton should age them another year or so on their end if a lot of people like them with some age.