Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   today it all hit me... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40816)

Devanmc 01-03-2011 03:19 PM

today it all hit me...

Today was finally the day i receive my PEB summery packed from the Peblo officer. Im taking it to a lawyer for review before signing but its just been a day where idk what to think about all this. Just over a year ago i signed my contract to serve and now its being cut short due to(IMO) the lamest injury i could ever get.

About 8 months ago i tore the larbum in my hip during a morning run it seems. To me this is just pathetic after doing 8 years of dance and 2 years of cycling 10mile a day before my joining the service.

The army has decided to discharge me due to the fact that therapy is not helping the injury at all. It is only helping keep pain down to about 5(on the classic 10 scale), without therapy im about a 7 with need for painkillers. TRI-care does not believes that the surgery i need is experimental, so they will not approve of it. They feel i should either stay on pain killers or receive a full hip replacement at 21.

that being said, its all finally hit me that i know must go back to school, deal with this injury and figure out how im going to get a job. I dont want to turn this into a pity party one bit but wanted to explain for those who maybe wondering why such a young kid is leaving the army after a short service period, and also why i can be quiet scatterbrained at times. This is because quiet honestly, for me this is a lot to deal with and im still kinda trying to figure out how. Thoughts suggestions and advice on how to deal with this and what kinds of jobs i should look at getting as a nearly null experienced 21yr/old would be greatly appreciated.

;s for the horrible grammar for which this post contains. Also its unnecessary length.

G G 01-03-2011 03:40 PM

Re: today it all hit me...

Hang in there and things will work out.:tu

Superbad 01-03-2011 04:18 PM

Devan,
My advice is to get a degree in Engineering, you have a good school right there in HSV at UAH. I am guessing you will be considered a disabled veteran, that can help when it comes time to get a job, especially with the military or Federal Government. I work as a civilian engineer for the USN. It is a very good job. PM me and I will give you my work # if you ever want to talk about this.

688sonarmen 01-03-2011 04:28 PM

Devan, you will be ok. Take the 9/11 bill and run with it, you made it though some of the toughest parts of the military and will run circles around the college kids from the learned discipline. And keep your chin up, your personality will take you a long way:tu

Devanmc 01-03-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbad (Post 1117538)
Devan,
My advice is to get a degree in Engineering, you have a good school right there in HSV at UAH. I am guessing you will be considered a disabled veteran, that can help when it comes time to get a job, especially with the military or Federal Government. I work as a civilian engineer for the USN. It is a very good job. PM me and I will give you my work # if you ever want to talk about this.

i would but i am terrible with math, im looking for a business degree. In Marketing or logistics.

Superbad 01-03-2011 05:56 PM

I would suggest Logistics. Once again a military background can carry you very far in this field. There is a great Logistics internship NAVSEA offers, my door is always open if you want to talk. Make sure you get a degree in a marketable field, don't waste the chance.

Chainsaw13 01-03-2011 06:17 PM

Ever thought of becoming a Physical Therapist? You have some background having to go through it yourself and there's always going to be a need for people in the profession.

HK3- 01-03-2011 07:42 PM

I have no advice but wanted to wish you good luck. :tu

Chainsaw13 01-03-2011 07:52 PM

Whatever you do decide, get into something you like. Just because some jobs may pay more, there's something to say about a job that you enjoy getting up to do everyday.
Posted via Mobile Device

Superbad 01-03-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 (Post 1117918)
Whatever you do decide, get into something you like. Just because some jobs may pay more, there's something to say about a job that you enjoy getting up to do everyday.
Posted via Mobile Device

I can't disagree with this.

G G 01-03-2011 08:04 PM

That is sage advice. I worked a job for 19 and 1/2 years that I liked ok for about the first ten, then absolutely loathed for the last 7 or 8. It paid the bills, but that's all I can say about it.

CasaDooley 01-03-2011 08:30 PM

Make sure you get set up at your local Veterans Administration hospital and I would also go speak with a DAV (Disabled American Veterans) rep (go see the DAV rep first). You are entitled to collect disability. How much depends on what rating you get, I.E. 20% disabled etc. Good luck Bro.

CigarNut 01-03-2011 08:37 PM

Hey Devan -- you are a smart guy and I think things will work out for you. Figure out what you like to do and what you are good at and pursue it. You are young enough yet to be able to tackle a new career and I have confidence in your ability to succeed!

Chingas 01-03-2011 09:41 PM

Road Trip. Sort yourself Brother. Your Lost. Take some time to explore, thought provoking and mind numbing experiences. Truly find what you love to do and do it.

That's all I got. Bobby is good people. Pick his brain while the opportunity is there.

Ranger_B 01-03-2011 10:50 PM

Devan my heart goes out to you. Remember it is your life not some VA rep or some PEBLO. Fight for what you feel is right. If there is science and fact behind a different surgery have a consult with your PCM and have them include notes about talking to you about it. If they still say no because it is not approved then go to a civilian leader I.E. Congress or Senate. Now if you can not find that science or you are not a candidate for that surgery dont go making a big stir. You may not know but I am in similar shoes only at 15years. I have learned a lot so if you have questions please PM me.

Take you time and have a plan. Have the plan start with a nice smoke the day you get out and say good bye to your last step as the sun sets and prepare to say hello when the sun rises to a new path.

Drez 01-04-2011 12:19 AM

everything will be ok. leaving the military is always a hard thing to do cause you are used to that life style and now you feel like you are just dumped back into the world. everything will be ok.

look for a job to pay the bills while you decide what feild you wanna go into.

dont rush anything brother it will all be ok. you know we are here for you.

maninblack 01-04-2011 05:13 AM

Damn sorry to hear this Devan. I know I bust your balls alot, but I really hope you do find something you enjoy. Like Chingas said, go out and explore. You're still very young and have a lot of life ahead of you. Take a trip, go somewhere you've never been, enjoy life. You only got one.

Devanmc 01-04-2011 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasaDooley (Post 1118001)
Make sure you get set up at your local Veterans Administration hospital and I would also go speak with a DAV (Disabled American Veterans) rep (go see the DAV rep first). You are entitled to collect disability. How much depends on what rating you get, I.E. 20% disabled etc. Good luck Bro.

Looking to call them this weekend before I sign. Looking at an initial 20% from the army then adjusted by the VA

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chingas (Post 1118129)
Road Trip. Sort yourself Brother. Your Lost. Take some time to explore, thought provoking and mind numbing experiences. Truly find what you love to do and do it.

That's all I got. Bobby is good people. Pick his brain while the opportunity is there.

If things work out, I like this road trip you speak of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger_B (Post 1118201)
Devan my heart goes out to you. Remember it is your life not some VA rep or some PEBLO. Fight for what you feel is right. If there is science and fact behind a different surgery have a consult with your PCM and have them include notes about talking to you about it. If they still say no because it is not approved then go to a civilian leader I.E. Congress or Senate. Now if you can not find that science or you are not a candidate for that surgery dont go making a big stir. You may not know but I am in similar shoes only at 15years. I have learned a lot so if you have questions please PM me.

Take you time and have a plan. Have the plan start with a nice smoke the day you get out and say good bye to your last step as the sun sets and prepare to say hello when the sun rises to a new path.

Thanks for this advice, it should prove helpful. Also, good luck with your own situation.

Bobby, ill get ahold of you soon. I need to get this paper work delt with first.

Posted via droid

Salvelinus 01-04-2011 05:25 AM

My wife runs marathons and developed a labrum tear as well. That is a real tough injury to treat, she has just been pushing through it. It sounds like your tear is worse though, hers is not so painful.

I think the guys are right about figuring out what you really want to do before starting school. School is expensive (take it from me I just started grad school), so it is best to get it right the first time. Best of luck.

HollywoodQue 01-04-2011 06:25 AM

Sorry to hear about your injury Devan. Have you consulted an attorney yet? The military make be liable for your injury and responsible for future rehab. You may want to seek a civilian attorney because as I remember when I served, they tend to look out for the militaries best interest.

Always keep your head up brother, things happen for a reason that we may not yet understand. Your path has already been chosen, just try your best to follow it.