Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Crystal Humidifiers....PG Solution? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42219)

Christiel49 02-07-2011 02:05 PM

Crystal Humidifiers....PG Solution?

I just want to know if I HAVE to use the PG Solution? I have seasoned my humidor and need to put my cigars in. It came with a Crystal humidifer but says to fill it with the solution. I don't see it making a difference.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks,
Christine:sh

T.G 02-07-2011 02:12 PM

Re: Crystal Humidifiers....PG Solution?

The gel should already be treated to operate at a set RH so PG should not be necessary and distilled water should be fine.

chippewastud79 02-07-2011 02:27 PM

Distilled Water :tu

Christiel49 02-07-2011 02:41 PM

Thanks!!!!

Nathan King 02-07-2011 04:01 PM

Adding solution will eventually be required since the PG does very slowly evaporate; however, total evoraporation in the crystal media seems to take a very, very long time. Until then, have no fear using distilled water.

NCRadioMan 02-07-2011 04:46 PM

The best thing you can do with the pg solution is to throw it away and forget the stuff exists.

:2

CigarNut 02-07-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 1164715)
The best thing you can do with the pg solution is to throw it away and forget the stuff exists.

It pains me to agree with you -- I don't want your head to swell so soon after surgery :) -- but you are absolutely right!

Christiel49 02-08-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan (Post 1164715)

Exactly what I was thinking. Just a marketing thing!

Set it up with distilled water last night. This morning it was @ 67%. Pretty good, I think!

d'am 02-08-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan King (Post 1164669)
Adding solution will eventually be required since the PG does very slowly evaporate; however, total evoraporation in the crystal media seems to take a very, very long time. Until then, have no fear using distilled water.

This has always confused me. Water evaporates at a faster rate than PG...and all solutions I've seen are a 50/50 water/PG mix. By replacing lost volume with the solution, eventually you'll end up with ~%100 Propylene Glycol in your humidifier, right? And since it evaporates slowly, you've effectively stopped humidifying the environment. What confuses me is the manufacturers (Xikar) who recommend only PG solution.

Not that I lose sleep over this or anything. Like a lot of people around here I've switched to beads and never looked back :D

Nathan King 02-08-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d'am (Post 1165962)
This has always confused me. Water evaporates at a faster rate than PG...and all solutions I've seen are a 50/50 water/PG mix. By replacing lost volume with the solution, eventually you'll end up with ~%100 Propylene Glycol in your humidifier, right? And since it evaporates slowly, you've effectively stopped humidifying the environment. What confuses me is the manufacturers (Xikar) who recommend only PG solution.

Not that I lose sleep over this or anything. Like a lot of people around here I've switched to beads and never looked back :D

You are exactly right. 50/50 solution only needs to be applied a few times a year because the PG takes that long to evaporate; however, Xikar solution only has a very small amount of PG. In fact, Xikar would argue that their solution is proportioned perfectly so that the PG will be gone at the same time all of the water evaporates. From my experience their solution still has a little too much PG, so I use their solution a few times and switch to distilled water until it begins evaporating quickly again.

d'am 02-08-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan King (Post 1165976)
You are exactly right. 50/50 solution only needs to be applied a few times a year because the PG takes that long to evaporate; however, Xikar solution only has a very small amount of PG. In fact, Xikar would argue that their solution is proportioned perfectly so that the PG will be gone at the same time all of the water evaporates. From my experience their solution still has a little too much PG, so I use their solution a few times and switch to distilled water until it begins evaporating quickly again.

I see--that actually makes sense. For some reason, I thought Xikar was 50/50. This approach makes more sense. I've always liked Xikar's stuff and I'm glad to hear their humidification systems works (with a little modification) too.

Christiel49 02-09-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d'am (Post 1165998)
I see--that actually makes sense. For some reason, I thought Xikar was 50/50. This approach makes more sense. I've always liked Xikar's stuff and I'm glad to hear their humidification systems works (with a little modification) too.

Interesting! I will see how it works with just Distilled water. I think I will switch to the beads, shortly in the future!

rmoreno 02-10-2011 03:23 PM

What an interesting thread of comments. Good stuff. Here's a link to XIKAR's video on humidification. http://blog.xikar.com/blog/2010/octo...r-cigars-video View the video and learn more about PG Solution. XIKAR's PG Solution is a proprietary product and manufactured to our exact specifications. XIKAR's mix of PG Solution is calculated to exactly match the rate at which PG biodegrades, resulting in a humidifier that will never over saturate with PG. Other mixtures of PG Solution often contain the incorrect mix, resulting in one of two things: over humidification (not enough PG, too much water) or clogged humidifier (too much PG, not enough water). Either way, those two results ruin expensive cigars. Humidifiers with XIKAR PG Solution emit and absorb just the right amount of humidity in the air to maintain 70% RH. Hope this helps clear the air a little. Keeping smoking and thanks for listening. BM XIKAR

Bill86 02-10-2011 03:25 PM

But most of us don't want 70% RH...more like 62-65.

NCRadioMan 02-10-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill86 (Post 1168511)
But most of us don't want 70% RH...more like 62-65.

Werd.

I hate it when companies associated with the cigar industry keep perpetuating the 70% myth. 70% rh is far from ideal, for me.

rmoreno 02-10-2011 04:57 PM

A humidor is a box, usually made of wood, that preserves an ambient environment for storing cigars. Relative humidity in the humidor ideally is 70 percent, although a slight variation is acceptable. Dry or humid air outside the humidor, along with air conditioners and furnaces, all can significantly affect humidity in a humidor. 70% Relative Humidity is a personal choice but highly recommended.

rmoreno 02-10-2011 05:02 PM

Cigars are hygroscopic in nature, which means they will readily release or absorb moisture from the environment until they are in balance. The optimal environment necessary to store cigars long term is 70% relative humidity (RH) and 70° Fahrenheit. Some people prefer to smoke cigars kept at 65% RH or lower. This is a matter of personal preference and it may vary for different cigars. Ultimately, 70% RH is still ideal for long term cigar aging which could span years or decades.
Tobacconist University...not XIKAR!

NCRadioMan 02-10-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmoreno (Post 1168596)
Cigars are hygroscopic in nature, which means they will readily release or absorb moisture from the environment until they are in balance. The optimal environment necessary to store cigars long term is 70% relative humidity (RH) and 70° Fahrenheit. Some people prefer to smoke cigars kept at 65% RH or lower. This is a matter of personal preference and it may vary for different cigars. Ultimately, 70% RH is still ideal for long term cigar aging which could span years or decades.
Tobacconist University...not XIKAR!

I disagree totally. I don't care who says it, 70% rh and 70 degrees being ideal is a myth.

Krish the Fish 02-10-2011 05:19 PM

Does anyone really have any definitive proof that 70% is "ultimately" the best for cigars? I'd be surprised if such proof (in the form of scientific evidence/research publication) exists. 70/70 is so widely said because it is easier to remember than say "65%, but higher for some cigars and lower for others."

This is all imo of course. No proof for what I just spouted out either.

NCRadioMan 02-10-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krish the Fish (Post 1168619)
Does anyone really have any definitive proof that 70% is "ultimately" the best for cigars? I'd be surprised if such proof (in the form of scientific evidence/research publication) exists. 70/70 is so widely said because it is easier to remember than say "65%, but higher for some cigars and lower for others."

This is all imo of course. No proof for what I just spouted out either.

Marvin Shankin of Cigar Aficiando is the main culprit of the myth. He has spouted it so often for so long, people have taken it as gospel. Kinda like their cigar ratings. :rolleyes:

When folks ask me, I tell them anywhere between 55 and 70% is ok to store cigars but each individual has their own preference. And since it's subjective, there can be no "ideal" setting.