Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Moving to Ohio (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=69827)

srduggins 06-23-2015 02:29 PM

Moving to Ohio

That's right, I'm leaving super, sunny, southern California for cold, wet and gloomy Newark, Ohio (not to mention hot and humid). I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA, still have family in Michigan and Pittsburgh and went to school in Columbus, so I'm familiar with the region but after living for 31 years in SoCal, I'm expecting something of a weather and culture shock. If there are any brothers in the area, I'd love to meet up to share some smokes. I'd also love to hear what you do to survive smoking in the heat/humidity and dry/cold weather. My wife and I will be in the area looking for our new home from June 26th through July 3.

shilala 06-23-2015 02:40 PM

Re: Moving to Ohio

I'm up near Cleveland, but that may as well be East Kabumfunct compared to Columbus.
You're closer to Burgh than you are to me.
I guess my question would be "Why?" or "What, are you nuts?"

pnoon 06-23-2015 04:27 PM

When will you be leaving? We'll miss you, Steve. But there are a number of CA guys from Ohio.

And if you're there by mid-August, you have to get to The Shack Herf.

icehog3 06-23-2015 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 2041508)
And if you're there by mid-August, you have to get to The Shack Herf.

Yes Siree, Steve.....a "must" to meet all the Midwest BOTL. ;)

Adriftpanda 06-24-2015 12:11 AM

Donald told me this tragedy, I am sorry.

See you in a few weeks

hotreds 06-24-2015 06:34 AM

Newark is in Amish area, quite nice when there isn't a foot or two of snow on the ground!

elderboy02 06-24-2015 06:44 AM

Welcome back to the Buckeye State. I am only 2 hours away in Cincinnati. I get up to Columbus about 5-10x/ year. We will have to meet up sometime at a The Ohio State University football tailgate.

stinkie 06-24-2015 10:08 AM

Hey I'm right down the road in roundtown . lived in cubs most of my life need anything just ask-(P

srduggins 07-01-2015 11:54 AM

My job is relocating me and despite my ranting above, I am pretty happy about this choice, all things considered. Having a job til I retire and being closer to family mean a lot. Moving the end of July. I was fortunate to be able to delay it until after socal, but didn't realize my wife's family vacation in so car (South Carolina) this year was going to coincide with Shack. For a little while I was jazzed to be going to So Cal and Shack and being able to drive to both from my own home, but hopefully, if Shack continues I can make it next year (So Cal too!!).

Looking forward to going to some Amish Auctions.

AdamJoshua 07-01-2015 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srduggins (Post 2042837)

Looking forward to going to some Amish Auctions.

I understand their auctions also start at One Dowah!

Buckeye Jack 07-05-2015 06:57 PM

Steve, would love to meet up. My wife is from Newark and my in-laws are still there, so I make it there a dozen or so times a year. A good friend of my wifes runs a cigar store over there. From my house to there is about an hour. We will definitely make something happen!

P.S. Did me we meet at SoCal a few years ago? I think I was there for 14.

srduggins 07-06-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Jack (Post 2043378)

P.S. Did me we meet at SoCal a few years ago? I think I was there for 14.

Possibly, I've been the last few years. I'll let you know when I'm in town.

After a head spinning weekend of house hunting, we are under contract for a home in Heath. Looking forward to getting settled and herfing with the Midwest crew (some day).

Buckeye Jack 07-06-2015 04:46 PM

Sounds good. Sorry I didn't see the thread until it was too late to meet up with you this go around. Did you check the Granville area? Small college (Dennison) area but every time I drive thru there I think its someplace I could live. Beautiful area.

In laws are on S21st St. in Heath.