Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Yay, another slope. (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37398)

TheRuckus13 10-09-2010 08:51 PM

Yay, another slope.

Just about two months ago I got into cigar smoking. I absolutely love it, and it's of course why I'm here. Pretty soon I'll probably doing a herf with some Asylum guys, and cigars will always be my number one. However, if I'm honest with myself, I just can't afford to smoke a cigar every single day. I tend not to like any of the cheaper cigars that are available.

So I finally gave in, and visited pipesandcigars. I got myself two corn cob bent pipes (Washington, and Diplomat), a nice 3 piece tool kit, 3 bundles of cleaners, a 100g tin of Frog Morton, and a pouch of Billy Budd. Pics of their arrival in four to five days! :tu

VirtualSmitty 10-09-2010 09:52 PM

Re: Yay, another slope.

Very nice :tu

hscmit 10-09-2010 10:02 PM

enjoy

Savor the Stick 10-10-2010 12:12 AM

I'll be looking for the pics. Good for you and Welcome.:noon

Cigar_Noob 10-10-2010 07:30 AM

Nice :) pipesandcigars is a good company. I myself bought a cob from them and some baccy. Can't wait to see the pics.

BigFrank 10-10-2010 07:33 AM

Frog Morton is a good blend. Been awhile since I've had any...Welcome to the pipe slope. It may not appear dangerous, but she is...

hotreds 10-10-2010 07:54 AM

I'm enjoying the pipe slope very much! Hope you do as well!

TheRuckus13 10-14-2010 08:57 AM

Well my stuff came in today, and I had my first pipe smoking experience. Unfortunately I was really underwhelmed by it all. I think I made a mistake getting two Latakia blends. I guess because I'm a cigar smoker and have never dealt with the stuff it's absolutely all I could taste out of the pipe, burning leafs and wood. Keeping the pipe lit was also frustrating and nerve wrecking. I know that I will get better with a pipe but I don't know what I'm going to do with these blends.

Emjaysmash 10-14-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRuckus13 (Post 1022433)
Well my stuff came in today, and I had my first pipe smoking experience. Unfortunately I was really underwhelmed by it all. I think I made a mistake getting two Latakia blends. I guess because I'm a cigar smoker and have never dealt with the stuff it's absolutely all I could taste out of the pipe, burning leafs and wood. Keeping the pipe lit was also frustrating and nerve wrecking. I know that I will get better with a pipe but I don't know what I'm going to do with these blends.

Keep on keeping on! Pipes can be frustrating when you first start, but trust me- you WILL be rewarded!!
Smoke some more, vary your technique of puffing, trade out the tobaccos you don't like for others. Its very similiar to starting with cigars. We all had to learn how to toast, puff enough to keep it lit but not too much to hotbox the thing! You'll get it in no time!

TheRuckus13 10-14-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 1022438)
Keep on keeping on! Pipes can be frustrating when you first start, but trust me- you WILL be rewarded!!
Smoke some more, vary your technique of puffing, trade out the tobaccos you don't like for others. Its very similiar to starting with cigars. We all had to learn how to toast, puff enough to keep it lit but not too much to hotbox the thing! You'll get it in no time!

Well, I was so displeased with my first bowl. I almost immediately grabbed up my second pipe (Washington) and packed a bowl of Frog Morton instead. This time I ignored the videos warning you over and over not to pack the bowl too tight which was making me paranoid and just packed it the way I felt it should be packed. I got probably 4x the tobacco in than I did the Diplomat which is almost twice as big and the draw was still loose, so I don't know how people over pack a pipe. I did have to relight the pipe about every 5-10 minutes but other than that it smoked pretty well. The Frog Morton has way way more Latakia in it which is what I don't like but the FM blend imo is way sweeter, so it just worked out better. Hopefully some day I can get my hands on some money and get a blend that has no Latakia.

TheRuckus13 10-18-2010 09:14 PM

Well, what can I say... in less than a week the pipe has totally won me over. I look back at my first post amazed at my first impression of pipe smoking. That "burning wood" flavor I got makes no sense to me now. Frog Morton now tastes like sweet smokey BBQ to me, maybe a little ketchup. It sounds strange but I love it. The Billy Budd is a love hate type relationship. It truly is fun to smoke, some times you'll get a thick draw of Latakia which gives off whispy smoke, and a classic Latakia taste, then you'll hit a batch of cigar leaf and get that thick creamy Connecticut nutty taste. However, it burns hot, and comes with a lot of stems which is a hassle.

I know I promised pictures, but when I got the package I realized I had nothing really worth showing. However, pipe smoking has been so great that I just purchased a Savenelli Baronet Pot, and a box (250G) of Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader. So I -will- have something to show you folks. The only thing disappointing about pipe smoking is tonight I lit up a Montecristo and was thinking of smoking my pipe the entire time...:(

WyoBob 10-18-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRuckus13 (Post 1028120)
That "burning wood" flavor I got makes no sense to me now.

The "burning wood" flavor was the exposed part of the stem in your bowl charring. After 6-10 smokes, it goes away as the stem chars more each time the pipe is smoked.

WyoBob

Emjaysmash 10-18-2010 10:41 PM

All pipe accessories, regardless of how "unworthy" they are deserves some spot light!

:np

BigFrank 10-19-2010 02:51 PM

Wait til you start buying pipes off ebay...just as bad.

TheRuckus13 10-19-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 1028197)
All pipe accessories, regardless of how "unworthy" they are deserves some spot light!

:np

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1914/1001096g.jpg

Oh alright, here you go. I -had- to try Captain Black. My uncle got me into pipes and Captain is how he rolls. It really wasn't that bad. A bit flavorless compared to what I've tried, but not down right disgusting like most say, and yes that is Campbell's in the background LOL. Hopefully the Savinelli and the big box of Squadron Leader will be here by Saturday.

Emjaysmash 10-19-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRuckus13 (Post 1029654)
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1914/1001096g.jpg

Oh alright, here you go. I -had- to try Captain Black. My uncle got me into pipes and Captain is how he rolls. It really wasn't that bad. A bit flavorless compared to what I've tried, but not down right disgusting like most say, and yes that is Campbell's in the background LOL. Hopefully the Savinelli and the big box of Squadron Leader will be here by Saturday.

:tu

I like it! The washington was my first pipe as well. It's still in working order are 3 years, and is usually the pipe I smoke new blends in!

Thanks for sharing!

TheRuckus13 10-20-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 1029678)
:tu

I like it! The washington was my first pipe as well. It's still in working order are 3 years, and is usually the pipe I smoke new blends in!

Thanks for sharing!

The Washington is a good smoke. However, I like the Diplomat way more for the extra dollar. It looks better, and the Danish stem feels and looks better also. It also seems the Diplomat has a bigger bowl, which gives it a good feeling in the hand.

Slow Triathlete 10-20-2010 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFrank (Post 1017467)
Frog Morton is a good blend. Been awhile since I've had any...Welcome to the pipe slope. It may not appear dangerous, but she is...

I totally agree with Frank. This definitely took over in a hurry on my end!!

BigFrank 10-20-2010 12:54 PM

Nice pick-ups there james. Frog Morton on the town is a must try if you enjoy on the bayou and other english blends.

TheRuckus13 10-21-2010 12:00 PM

New stuff came in today way earlier than expected! I just smoked some of the Squadron Leader out of the new pipe, love them both.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/681/1001097a.jpg

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/3072/1001098k.jpg