Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Audi Mechanical Question (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55350)

Partagaspete 04-29-2012 09:15 AM

Audi Mechanical Question

I have a 2002 Audi A4 3.0 that the check engine light. a mechanic took a look and said the code returned 16815 which is the O2 sensor. and he gat another code that he said returned as Audi specific and said I'd have to take it to the audi dealership...

The code returned was 18339. Any idea on what this might be???

Thank you.

T

Apexkingjusto 04-29-2012 09:36 AM

Re: Audi Mechanical Question

try posting in audiworld!

SDmate 04-29-2012 09:46 AM

it's a cooling fan fault code
18339.P1931 coolant (FC) fan control module-J293 malfunction

Hooligan 04-29-2012 09:56 AM

I just had to dump 1k in repairs for my A3 a month ago was told numerous times it was the o2 but turned out to be an Evap leak and a leaking head gasket. I guess that's what I get for tuning it to APR stage 2. :-/ hope you get it sorted out.

Apexkingjusto 04-29-2012 12:03 PM

I dont think i would ever buy another audi....i had more problems with moy 06 a4 3.2 6spd...was a cool car but also a boat constantly in for repair....i love audis but would not want one out of warrenty. I went back to japanese cars after and wouldnt look back...i have a 450hp s2000 and a 300hp wrx and havent had nearly the problems on either of these monsters then i did with the audi...actually havent really had any issues on these especially amazing given how highly modified the s2000 is....sorry to go off topic but this just reminds me of all the times i worked from the audi dealership

Partagaspete 05-02-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDmate (Post 1627188)
it's a cooling fan fault code
18339.P1931 coolant (FC) fan control module-J293 malfunction

Thanks, I did find this as well but, my fans are working fine...more to follow on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apexkingjusto (Post 1627271)
I dont think i would ever buy another audi....i had more problems with moy 06 a4 3.2 6spd...was a cool car but also a boat constantly in for repair....i love audis but would not want one out of warrenty. I went back to japanese cars after and wouldnt look back...i have a 450hp s2000 and a 300hp wrx and havent had nearly the problems on either of these monsters then i did with the audi...actually havent really had any issues on these especially amazing given how highly modified the s2000 is....sorry to go off topic but this just reminds me of all the times i worked from the audi dealership

Agreed Audi, BMW, Mecedes. expensive to mainatain. I knew that when I bought it. But I love the fact that I have a nice smooth ride when I just want to commute but when I want to get up and go my get up just rolls. I left a mustang in the distance...then I throttled back and just enjoyed the ride. I do like the WRX and I think the S2K is the best roadster made in my lifetime but they are both less demensional that a sport/touring machine. Apples and oranges.

Anyhoo th light went out and the car is running fine. I plan on having it checked again regardless. Thanks guys I appreciate the comments.

T

kydsid 05-02-2012 08:07 PM

Was the mechanic using a vw/audi scan tool!? If not the codes are commonly wrong from generic obd2 scan tools.. If he doesn't spealize in audi/vw have someone else scan the car. Otherwise hope on audio world or one of the vw forums and look for a thread or ask for any members that have vag-com

mithrilG60 05-02-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Partagaspete (Post 1629920)
Thanks, I did find this as well but, my fans are working fine...more to follow on that.

Could have been an intermittent fault, as long as the tech cleared the codes (which he had to to clear your CEL) then it may not come back. A VAG-COM cable costs about $300 from RossTech, it's very wise investment if you're going to keep the car. There's a decent amount of coding adaptations available for the B6 such as changing the behaviour of the comfort control module, roll the windows up and down with remote etc. Just small things but they do customise the car a little which makes the experience a bit nicer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Partagaspete (Post 1629920)
Agreed Audi, BMW, Mecedes. expensive to mainatain. I knew that when I bought it. But I love the fact that I have a nice smooth ride when I just want to commute but when I want to get up and go my get up just rolls.

Agreed, I love the way my '00 4.2L A6 is super smooth and comfortable as a commuter yet is a highway barnstormer that can cruise effortless at 150kph+ and still feel like it's doing no more than 60. The only thing I don't like about it is the in-town fuel economy, but I was never expecting decent economy out of that car.