Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   I've joined the pipe club (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=52634)

Thrak 01-14-2012 06:10 PM

I've joined the pipe club

Just got this from the local cigar shop. He gave me a good deal on it ($15!), and then after talking for a bit he thru in a pack of tobacco for free! (called Fruit Tart, smells really good!)...

So now I have to read thru these posts to figure out what to do lol... any body got some quick newbie tips to throw my way? :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...6576380802.jpg

:banger

Nick 01-14-2012 06:39 PM

Re: I've joined the pipe club

Puff it slow
Dont get discouraged
Pick up a corn cob pipe
Get lots of pipe cleaners
Explore different baccy's (check out tobaccoreviews.com)
Dont listen to anything moo says!

Good to have you in the pipe fold. Smoke slowly brother.

P.S. Just kidding, moo knows what hes talking about.
O

hotreds 01-14-2012 06:43 PM

Good onya!

MarkinAZ 01-14-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrak (Post 1530677)
Just got this from the local cigar shop. He gave me a good deal on it ($15!), and then after talking for a bit he thru in a pack of tobacco for free!

Nice looking pipe and welcome to another area within the Asylum...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 1530710)
Dont listen to anything moo says!

:D...Especially Moo;) However, please do check out the "Ask the Old Fart" thread. Lots of good stuff there to ponder over...

Mister Moo 01-15-2012 08:46 AM

:sh

I am an honest pipe-data broker.

Trust me.

Thrak 01-15-2012 11:49 AM

Thanks guys!

Dont worry Moo, I trust ya... for now ;)

I've been reading the sticky and trying to get up to speed. I realized I dont have a tamper tool or any pipe cleaners or anything I apparently need...

Nick 01-15-2012 12:04 PM

A 10 penny nail will suffice as a pipe tool for now but pipe cleaners are a must. you can't get far with out them.

Thrak 01-15-2012 01:38 PM

What are each of the pipe cleaner "sizes" for? Churchwarden, x-tra absorbant, long bristle, medium, tapered... never knew there were so many different types!

DaBear 01-15-2012 01:55 PM

Just get some of the regular ones, the others are for other purposes. Bristles are used mostly for serious cleaning(ie, removing cake and using some alcohol dipped cleaners to remove anything stuck up the draft hole). Churchwarden refers to the pipes with the really long stems, so those are the same thing just longer. Tapered and Extra Absorbent are personal preference and I haven't found the need to use them so I just stick with the regulars.

Thrak 01-16-2012 04:45 PM

So I tried it out today.. totally different experience than cigars. I found it to be more calming maybe, not sure how to describe it. I enjoyed the warmth from the bowl keeping my hands\fingers warm on this chilly day too.

My first pack was decent.. I thought it was done and dumped it out, but man I still had about 1/3 of the bowl left!! Oops... So I packed it again, and I was surprised to find it lasts a long time, alot longer than I expected tbh.

I think I'm really going to like this :) Not sure if it will replace cigars yet, but I can see that happening. Especially when my wife says 'that smells alot better than those stinky cigars' lol

Now I need to find some way to store this tobacco... I'm thinking those air tight jars that you use in the kitchens for coffee and stuff.

something like this but bigger/better quality http://www.amazon.com/Kamenstein-Squ...757845&sr=8-36

Mister Moo 01-16-2012 05:44 PM

8-oz Mason or Kerr jars at Wally World are the storage benchmark. Buck apiece, maybe.

ApexAZ 01-16-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrak (Post 1532403)
My first pack was decent.. I thought it was done and dumped it out, but man I still had about 1/3 of the bowl left!! Oops... So I packed it again, and I was surprised to find it lasts a long time, alot longer than I expected tbh.

I have this problem all the time. I have a lot of difficulty getting to the bottom, actually.

Recently I've begun scraping the top layer of ash and dumping it out when I get about halfway down the bowl. This is followed by a tamp and a re-light.

I have no idea if this is what you should do though. It seems that I have better luck getting the second half going when I remove the ash though. It's as if it's so thick I can't reach the tobacco below it with a flame unless I remove it.

MarkinAZ 01-16-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 1532435)
8-oz Mason or Kerr jars at Wally World are the storage benchmark. Buck apiece, maybe.

:tpd:...and you can purchase them by the flat too (about 12 - 8oz')

schollianmj 01-17-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApexAZ (Post 1532542)
I have this problem all the time. I have a lot of difficulty getting to the bottom, actually.

Recently I've begun scraping the top layer of ash and dumping it out when I get about halfway down the bowl. This is followed by a tamp and a re-light.

I have no idea if this is what you should do though. It seems that I have better luck getting the second half going when I remove the ash though. It's as if it's so thick I can't reach the tobacco below it with a flame unless I remove it.

I do the same thing. not saying its right, not saying its wrong, just saying it works for me so its what I do. :-)