Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Bergdahl (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=66811)

WhiteMamba 06-02-2014 11:17 AM

Bergdahl

I know there are a lot of veterans on here so I am curious what you guys think about this. If you dont know what I'm talking about check this out:

http://www.npr.org/2014/05/31/317707...-after-5-years

Good idea or bad idea?

T.G 06-02-2014 12:20 PM

Re: Bergdahl

Your question is of a politically charged topic.

I say only this: Each and every US soldier who comes home is a good thing.

stearns 06-02-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1966110)
Your question is of a politically charged topic.

I say only this: Each and every US soldier who comes home is a good thing.

I agree on both accounts.

That being said, thanks for posting the article :tu

cjhalbrooks 06-02-2014 01:11 PM

The guys a traitor. He left his base knowing what he was doing. He mailed his personnel gear home days before he left. He secured his gear before he left. Guys who where searching for him have made statements that the locals witnessed him "crawling on his belly away from the base" (from a soldier in my unit who was looking for him). This all makes me upset but what really pisses me off is that (if I remember right) 10 soldiers died looking for him.

If this all is true and I trust my fellow soldier who is at fort campbell. I would not have traded four white owls for this guy. Time will tell if there is ever really going to be am investigation. Most of my fellow soldiers say The US doesn't negotiate with terrorists. Well we just gave up 5 terrorists for a POS.

Remo 06-02-2014 01:25 PM

This thread is gonna go nowhere fast...

8zeros 06-02-2014 01:35 PM

Hey, five less terrorists in Gitmo to worry about. What's not to like?

maninblack 06-02-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjhalbrooks (Post 1966118)
The guys a traitor. He left his base knowing what he was doing. He mailed his personnel gear home days before he left. He secured his gear before he left. Guys who where searching for him have made statements that the locals witnessed him "crawling on his belly away from the base" (from a soldier in my unit who was looking for him). This all makes me upset but what really pisses me off is that (if I remember right) 10 soldiers died looking for him.

If this all is true and I trust my fellow soldier who is at fort campbell. I would not have traded four white owls for this guy. Time will tell if there is ever really going to be am investigation. Most of my fellow soldiers say The US doesn't negotiate with terrorists. Well we just gave up 5 terrorists for a POS.

Agreed brother

hammondc 06-02-2014 03:11 PM

Ibtl

RobR1205 06-02-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

“I am ashamed to be an American. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools... I am sorry for everything. The horror that is America is disgusting.”

This quote says it all, and good soldiers died because he "wandered off base". He should spent the rest of his days in Ft. Leavenworth.

SvilleKid 06-02-2014 03:24 PM

While all soldiers coming home is a good thing, I have to wonder if this man qualifies, given the mounting evidence that he deserted his post intentionally seeking out the Taliban. And the potential loss of future lives (Soldier and civilian) from actions of those released is frightening.

cjhalbrooks 06-02-2014 03:39 PM

:cl
Quote:

Originally Posted by SvilleKid (Post 1966153)
While all soldiers coming home is a good thing, I have to wonder if this man qualifies, given the mounting evidence that he deserted his post intentionally seeking out the Taliban. And the potential loss of future lives (Soldier and civilian) from actions of those released is frightening.

:cl

OLS 06-02-2014 04:10 PM

Make no mistake, though, soldiers are in no more danger of kidnapping than they were before. This is 'propganda' and you
will hear it over and over this month on TV. Soldiers in the theater are in DAILY risk of death, dismemberment, torture and yes,
kidnapping. Is that last one worse than the FIRST ONE? I will let combat veterans make their own assessment of his whole story.
But don't throw gravy on that biscuit by saying it is worse for soldiers now. Its just not true. The object of war for the fighting man
is now and has ever been to keep ALL contact with the enemy down to your round contacting his head. To get close enough to be
taken in any form, with nothing left to throw at him but your gun, is not the place you want to be. Period.

BHalbrooks 06-02-2014 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8zeros (Post 1966127)
Hey, five less terrorists in Gitmo to worry about. What's not to like?

Them taking up their previous positions in Al-Qaida. These were heavy hitters with the Taliban dude.

cjhalbrooks 06-02-2014 05:07 PM

I would feel like crap when am attack plained by one of those 5 kills an American. As a soldier I am willing to give my life for my brothers. All tho it most likely will not bother this guy. He should be held accountable for his actions tried as a deserter and given the most server punishment..... Death.

Just a thought for you to chew on. What info did he have to give up to stay alive?? When was the last soldier who was captured NOT killed in this war?

T.G 06-02-2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvilleKid (Post 1966153)

If the allegations against him are true, and I'm not saying they are or aren't, then the Army will deal with him as they see fit and the UCMJ allows. But to simply abandon him there for those alleged reasons, especially without inquiry or trial, goes against everything we stand for and makes us no better than "them".

8zeros 06-02-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHalbrooks (Post 1966160)
Them taking up their previous positions in Al-Qaida. These were heavy hitters with the Taliban dude.

Perhaps my sarcasm was too subtle?

BHalbrooks 06-02-2014 10:10 PM

I've seen a lot of people saying that, that were serious. My bad.

Zane 06-03-2014 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8zeros (Post 1966227)
Perhaps my sarcasm was too subtle?

You forgot to use your sarcasm font. ;)

RWhisenand 06-03-2014 08:08 PM

Every day I travel to work I pass a billboard with a picture of Bergdahl on it. This billboard is complete with a support website and the POW MIA emblem on the lower right corner. I never gave it too much thought about the circumstances on how the guy was captured, wasn't that much of an issue until recently, at least in my world. Anyway regardless of his beliefs, he is an American soldier and was serving in a combat zone overseas. Should we leave him? Should we only rescue those with beliefs we agree with? Did he desert? I don't know but it certainly looks as if he did. Is he entitled to a court martial when he returns? I believe so if the evidence supports it.

I think the core question is whether we leave known POW's in a combat zone, or try and get them returned to their home regardless of the circumstances.

mosesbotbol 06-04-2014 05:03 AM

Our most famous POW (Senator McCain) is against it.

This was a bad move by our president and solidifies his position on Terrorism and respect for our soldiers; especially after the VA scandal is still fresh. He should face a court marshal and let the military take their action. President's legacy is spiraling out of control (FWIW). He started off tough on the War and now we are down to this???

Personally, I would not trade terrorists for a soldier that is suspected of deserting. I am glad to see our soldier returned, but not how it happened.