Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   It's been a while... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=73131)

Razorhog 07-17-2017 08:25 AM

It's been a while...

Life happened and I got away from cigars for quite a while. Cigars completely slipped my mind for months at a time. Sure, I'd periodically wet the beads in my vinotemp but I would rarely smoke one. This past Saturday I was mowing the yard and had a hankering. Lit up a Cinco Vegas Cask Strength and it was a fine cigar. That got me thinking about my favorites and how I'm out of most of them. I can feel the dreaded cigarbid itch coming on... quick question -

Famous Nicaraguan 3000 - are they still around and as good?

poriggity 07-17-2017 11:18 PM

Re: It's been a while...

Welcome back. I too just recently came back to it... I got to the point where I sold off all of my cigars and had not smoked in a couple years. I stopped by FUMARE cigar shop in Reno on Sunday and bought a few sticks... I'm headed right back down the slippery slope...

Razorhog 07-18-2017 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poriggity (Post 2128491)
Welcome back. I too just recently came back to it... I got to the point where I sold off all of my cigars and had not smoked in a couple years. I stopped by FUMARE cigar shop in Reno on Sunday and bought a few sticks... I'm headed right back down the slippery slope...

I hear ya. I'm already hoping I don't win all the lots I've bid on. :)

Chainsaw13 07-18-2017 08:26 AM

Welcome back Beau.

icehog3 07-18-2017 09:48 AM

Good to see another "hog" back, Beau.

Haven't smoked a Famous Nic for a long time, but I've heard discussion that the blend had changed, and not for the better.

Razorhog 07-18-2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2128526)
Good to see another "hog" back, Beau.

Haven't smoked a Famous Nic for a long time, but I've heard discussion that the blend had changed, and not for the better.

Found 1 old school Famous Nic 3000 in my humidor yesterday. Now to find another reasonably priced good smoke! The thrill is in the chase.

Don Fernando 07-18-2017 10:15 AM

thank you, now I got that Staind song stuck in my head :(

Tio Gato 07-18-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2128526)

Tom's right. Rumor was back when the 3000 was awesome it was a closeout of a great brand. Unfortunately it had a very similar name to a well established brand. Lawsuit, then they disappeared. Theory is that the maker bundled all inventory and sold them to Famous as the 3000. When the originals were gone Famous found someone to try to replicate the blend. I'm not sure it was true but it was widely speculated on many cigar forums.:2

Welcome back!

Razorhog 07-18-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tio Gato (Post 2128553)
Tom's right. Rumor was back when the 3000 was awesome it was a closeout of a great brand. Unfortunately it had a very similar name to a well established brand. Lawsuit, then they disappeared. Theory is that the maker bundled all inventory and sold them to Famous as the 3000. When the originals were gone Famous found someone to try to replicate the blend. I'm not sure it was true but it was widely speculated on many cigar forums.:2

Welcome back!

Thanks for that tidbit. A sad tale on multiple levels, if true. I'll enjoy the last one I have.

I'm trying to explore other blenders but I can't seem to stop craving Pepin Garcia sticks. Unfortunately my wallet and palate are at odds. AJ Fernandez looks like a likely next target. I have a Man O War and maybe a Diesel.

RevSmoke 07-18-2017 04:23 PM

Plenty of great sticks out there for decent prices. Just shop the sales. I'd suggest though, a 5er here a 5er there, and if you find one you really like then watch for the specials.

Welcome back!

Peace of the Lord be with you.

jjirons69 07-19-2017 07:45 AM

Peter, now we have two hogs in the garden. Just sayin'...

massphatness 07-19-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Fernando (Post 2128534)
now I got that Staind song stuck in my head

Staind's great - it could be worse!

Welcome back, Beau

Don Fernando 07-20-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tio Gato (Post 2128553)

Welcome back!

Oliva Series X is what I heard, blocked by Fuente. But those are unconfirmed rumors.