Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Calling it quits.... (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5283)

Ashcan Bill 12-01-2008 05:42 PM

Calling it quits....

Calling it quits, but in a good way.

After close to twenty seven years with the same large company, I drove out the gate for the last time today. They offered me an early retirement, and after mulling it over for what seemed like forever but was actually only a couple of months, I bit. The hard part for me truly was in making the decision. Once I did, I felt great. While some of my peers that accepted the offer did so reluctantly and are still second guessing themselves, I’m content.

It does seem odd knowing I don’t have to get up before sunrise tomorrow. Seems even odder to think I’m retired at a relatively young age.

I have a hunch my cigar consumption is about to increase a tad. ;)

Mark C 12-01-2008 05:46 PM

Re: Calling it quits....

Congratulations! I have a hard time understanding people who are reluctant to retire... I can't wait until I don't have to get up before sunrise! Only 35 more yrs to go...

markem 12-01-2008 05:47 PM

Congratulations! I hope that your retirement is all you expect and more.

schnell987 12-01-2008 05:48 PM

:dance:Wohoo!!! Congratulations on your retirement! :dance:

Ahhhh...not having to wake up before sunrise...being able to enjoy a morning (or early afternoon) smoke and coffee...and more free time for hobbies! Enjoy!

Da Klugs 12-01-2008 05:49 PM

If you are good with it so are we! Congratulations and happy extra smoking. FWIW second, third and even fourth careers can be very rewarding.

Resipsa 12-01-2008 05:51 PM

Congratulations, the next adventure is waiting for you;)

nozero 12-01-2008 05:54 PM

Congratulations! Best wishes!

I can go at 55 and I turn 54 this March. For me, it will depend upon how much or if I am enjoying my job at the time. If it's like now, I'll probably leave. I remember when I loved going to work, but lately I just look forward Friday.

elderboy02 12-01-2008 05:56 PM

Congrats! :tu

68TriShield 12-01-2008 05:59 PM

That sounds great Bill :)

Let me know if you mosey your way east ;)

dunng 12-01-2008 06:00 PM

Congrats, time to get a cigar shop job! :ss

Ashcan Bill 12-01-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Klugs (Post 94775)
If you are good with it so are we! Congratulations and happy extra smoking. FWIW second, third and even fourth careers can be very rewarding.

Possibly, but right now I'm not planning on even getting out of my bathrobe for the next several months (wife may have a different opinion on that one :D). For the time being I fully intend on plumbing the depths of my inner laziness. :r

Ashcan Bill 12-01-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68TriShield (Post 94799)
That sounds great Bill :)

Let me know if you mosey your way east ;)

Sooner or later we will. Our next couple of trips will be a bit south of you, but the Smithsonian is on my list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunng (Post 94802)
Congrats, time to get a cigar shop job! :ss

Don't laugh - that's something I'd seriously consider in time.

dunng 12-01-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill (Post 94817)
Don't laugh - that's something I'd seriously consider in time.

I was completely serious... that is my retirement goal down the road. :ss

replicant_argent 12-01-2008 06:09 PM

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy your new found freedom, and find some new or not so new passions to enjoy in your retirement!

atlharp 12-01-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill (Post 94753)
Calling it quits, but in a good way.

After close to twenty seven years with the same large company, I drove out the gate for the last time today. They offered me an early retirement, and after mulling it over for what seemed like forever but was actually only a couple of months, I bit. The hard part for me truly was in making the decision. Once I did, I felt great. While some of my peers that accepted the offer did so reluctantly and are still second guessing themselves, I’m content.

It does seem odd knowing I don’t have to get up before sunrise tomorrow. Seems even odder to think I’m retired at a relatively young age.

I have a hunch my cigar consumption is about to increase a tad. ;)

Hey,

If you want see if your local cigar shop needs behind the counter help. It's nice being on the other side of this business, along with my favorite word: DISCOUNT!:ss

ATL

ucla695 12-01-2008 06:21 PM

Congratulations! What are you smoking tonight?

Cigary 12-01-2008 06:21 PM

Congrats on your retirement. I retired at 42 after working for 25 years and I have never looked back. I will be 55 this coming year and I have not missed working for the last 12 years and love being able to sleep in,,take a trip,,,stay up late,,,all those little things you wanted to do but had to work.

Ace$nyper 12-01-2008 06:27 PM

Happy retirement :)

Hope it's a great time, sounds like you sure earned it!

icehog3 12-01-2008 06:28 PM

Enjoy the "New Chapter" in your life...and spend lots more time with us! :tu

Texan in Mexico 12-01-2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Klugs (Post 94775)

Spot on advice there! I will always remember my Grandfather telling me how his first three weeks of retirement were great! After that he was excited that for the first time in probably 40 years of service to his country, selling insurance and raising a family - he could do almost anything. He did a lot, worked part-time and spent a lot more time with his wife.

Enjoy yourself and let us know what adventure lies ahead of you.

Congrats Bill!