Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Recipes (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Steak Tartare (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11368)

kayaker 03-03-2009 11:37 AM

Steak Tartare

Does anyone have a good, tried and tested, recipe for steak tartare?

I've only had it once and really enjoyed it, so I want to try my own.

All help appreciated.

mrreindeer 03-03-2009 11:39 AM

Re: Steak Tartare

Yum! Love it, Ian...but I don't have a recipe for it....maybe check out www.foodtv.com ?

The Daily Grill (a chain) out here used to serve it and it was great.

Should be pretty simple to make; just make sure you get some good beef since you're eatin' it raw.

SSatVT 03-03-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrreindeer (Post 268179)
Yum! Love it, Ian...but I don't have a recipe for it....maybe check out www.foodtv.com ?

The Daily Grill (a chain) out here used to serve it and it was great.

Should be pretty simple to make; just make sure you get some good beef since you're eatin' it raw.

:tpd:

I don't know anything about steak tartare, but I would strongly suggest grinding your own beef or any meat for that matter.

kayaker 03-03-2009 04:58 PM

My plan is to use a fresh piece of tenderloin and mince it myself with a cleaver. I've done that before and it works pretty well, especially for a smaller amount of meat.

I've found a couple of recipes online, so I will give one a try and post the results.

physiognomy 03-03-2009 05:58 PM

A local place here used to serve it with capers... I'm not sure if it was the martinis effecting my taste buds, but it was a damn good combo from memory.

Smokin Gator 03-03-2009 06:09 PM

For me a little seasoned salt, some fresh garlic, a little olive oil, and some capers is all that is needed.

BTW... I like the loin better than the tenderloin. I like the texture better...YMMV.

ucla695 03-03-2009 08:02 PM

I've had some great steak tartare at a local Italian restaurant. :dr

kayaker 03-03-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 268885)
I like the loin better than the tenderloin. I like the texture better.

Hmmm...I'll give that some consideration. What exactly do you mean by loin? I love tenderloin, and strip loin too, but figured the tenderloin would be more tender.

I thought garlic would be great in there too but didn't see it in the recipes I googled.

I'll probably improvise my own recipe based on what I have found and what I like.

mosesbotbol 03-04-2009 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSatVT (Post 268723)
I don't know anything about steak tartare, but I would strongly suggest grinding your own beef or any meat for that matter.

You don't grind beef for steak tartare, it must be cubed small with a very sharp knife to retain its texture.

mosesbotbol 03-04-2009 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 269393)
Hmmm...I'll give that some consideration. What exactly do you mean by loin? I love tenderloin, and strip loin too, but figured the tenderloin would be more tender.

I thought garlic would be great in there too but didn't see it in the recipes I googled.

I'll probably improvise my own recipe based on what I have found and what I like.

I'd think you could mash garlic into oil and drizzle the oil over the beef with a strainer. You don't want actual garlic pieces on the beef. Something with acid would be welcome to I suppose? Never looked up a recipe for tartare

Hardcz 03-04-2009 05:18 AM

Ian, you get the piece of meat, cut it up really small, then form it into a patty. Season it as you do this....

Once it's in a nice patty you place it on a plate, do the same for however many other people will be eating it. Once ready take the plate(s) to the grill and smack those puppies on there, cook till medium / medium rare, take off, and eat... you may place these on "buns" of any sort, or just eat them as is.

Enjoy! :fu

fissure 03-04-2009 06:12 AM

Ummmm, that's a burger:hm Tartare is RAW:dr

Smokin Gator 03-04-2009 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 269393)

I was talking about what you call the strip loin.:tu

Hardcz 03-04-2009 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fissure (Post 269633)

Exactly.... Eating steak raw like that is just wrong.

Sawyer 03-04-2009 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardcz (Post 269651)
Exactly.... Eating steak raw like that is just wrong.

If wrong equals delicious. :dr

68TriShield 03-04-2009 08:23 AM

No love for Chicken Tartare?

:lv

kayaker 03-04-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 269724)
If wrong equals delicious. :dr

:tpd:

I like a thick cut steak and rare (haven't tried blue yet), so eating raw minced meat wasn't much of a stretch. Like I said above, I had this once before and it was very tasty.

Thanks for the suggestions. Garlic will definitely be in and I will have to make a choice about the type of cut I will use. BTW here's one of the recipes that I found and plan on using:

Steak Tartare Recipe (serve 6)

Ingredients
2 lbs sirloin or filet mignon
1 egg yolk
2 tsp mustard, Dijon mustard recommended
1 tb onions, finely chopped
1 tb capers, drained
A few drops of Tabasco sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tb olive oil
2 tsp parley, minced
Salt and pepper
Step 1: Trim and grind the meat twice. Chop finely the onions and egg yolk.

Step 2: In a bowl, mix the egg yolk, onions, capers, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper.

Step 3: Add olive oil and beat lightly for a few seconds.

Step 4: Add meat and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Beat lightly for a few seconds.

Step 5: Refrigerate or serve immediately.

Serving: Steak Tartare cannot be preserved more than 2 hours, even in a fridge. Served with french fries or as a starter.

Wine suggestion: Red wine such as Beaujolais, Crozes Hermitage or Cahors (French Wine Guide).

Kreth 03-04-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fissure (Post 269633)

Actually, I had a dish in Japan called yukhoe. It's a Korean dish that's popular in Japan, basically raw ground beef with a bunch of spices and topped with a raw egg yolk. This was served as a appetizer at a yakiniku restaurant, where you sit at a table with a grill (or sometimes a pot of boiling water) in the center, and are served raw meat that you cook yourself to the desired doneness. Some even serve horse.

kayaker 03-04-2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreth (Post 269832)
Actually, I had a dish in Japan called yukhoe. It's a Korean dish that's popular in Japan, basically raw ground beef with a bunch of spices and topped with a raw egg yolk.

Other recipes I have seen use the raw egg topper as well. I wonder what spices they used in the meat. I'll have to look that one up.

Kreth 03-04-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayaker (Post 269836)
Other recipes I have seen use the raw egg topper as well. I wonder what spices they used in the meat. I'll have to look that one up.

I think there was salt, sesame, soy sauce, and pepper, among others.