Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Island (The other ones) Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Joya De Nicaragua Cabinetta review (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30812)

lou2row 04-08-2010 08:47 PM

Joya De Nicaragua Cabinetta review

Cigar: Joya De Nicaragua Cabinetta
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...w/100_3340.jpg

gift from T.G. and Jon Drew

Drink / Food: Eagle Rare bourbon on the rocks

Outside Factors: Out in shop, cool evening, fire going

Construction: Nice rustic two toned wrapper. Well constructed with even bunching. Firm throughout, slightly more so above the band. Wrapper has sweet composted hay and spice scent. End is sweet tobacco and mint.

Prelight : Cuts cleanly, great bunching under cap. Draws perfectly prelight with some mint and spice on draw.

First Third: Spice and some light pepper. Hits on middle and sides of tongue rather than blast to the throat. Interesting. Very definite taste of almonds on the finish.

Draw: Perfect

Burn: Almost perfect throughout entire cigar.

Ash/Smoke: Ash rarely holds over ½”. Possibly due to no stems in the bunching (blessing/curse). Nice gray color. Smoke is solid and gains creaminess as cigar continued. Nice mouth feel.

Second Third: The cigar is a nice accompaniment to the bourbon. Would try this with a good rum next time. I am smoking fairly fast, but cigar stays smooth without turning harsh or bitter. Some creamy cedar enters in with the almond on the finish. Pepper and spice have smoothed and some citrus enters; possibly orange peel.

Final third: Cedar has replaced almond completely. Smoke and finish are very creamy now. Spice steps back up but still smooth and on center of tongue. A nondescript herbal taste is in play if cigar is allowed to rest and cool. The change in wrapper did not change the flavor to me.

Strength: Medium
Flavor: medium full

Overall Impression: I didn’t know what to think before starting this cigar. I was pleasantly surprised. This is a very good B+ cigar that I would recommend to anyone. I think it has enough flavor to satisfy a stronger cigar smoker, but medium in strength to be accommodating to a newer smoker. Just a personal opinion, but as I smoked it, I felt this would have excellent aging potential.

Construction: 9 10
Prelight: 4 5
First Third: 13 15
Draw: 10 10
Burn: 9 10
Ash / Smoke: 7 10
Second Third: 9 10
Final Third: 9 10
Overall impression: 18 20
Total Score: 88 100

thebiglebowski 04-09-2010 08:42 AM

Re: Joya De Nicaragua Cabinetta review

very curious about these cigars. thanks for the review! what size was that - a robusto?

T.G 04-09-2010 08:51 AM

Thanks for posting the review my friend, glad you enjoyed the cigar.

Larry, that was the No.11 Corona Gorda (46 x 5.25")

Emjaysmash 04-09-2010 09:04 AM

Thanks for the review!

My question is, is the maduro wrapper also under the connie for the full length of the cigar, or only switched for the last third?

T.G 04-09-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 822874)
Thanks for the review!

My question is, is the maduro wrapper also under the connie for the full length of the cigar, or only switched for the last third?

The Nicaraguan criollo is just the last third.

OHRD 04-09-2010 09:17 AM

I absolutely love these! From what I understand, the maduro is only capped atop the Connie - the Connie runs the full length, the Maddie is placed atop.

issues 04-09-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 822874)
Thanks for the review!

I believe the connie wrapper runs the length of the cigar and the maduro is wrapped over the connie in the final third.

At least that is what it looked like on the one I saw.

Emjaysmash 04-09-2010 09:41 AM

Thanks guys, looks like thats what the consensus is. I'll have to find one of these and try it out.

OHRD 04-09-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 822910)
Thanks guys, looks like thats what the consensus is. I'll have to find one of these and try it out.

Send me your address

scooter 04-11-2010 09:44 AM

Thanks for the review.

Rabidsquirrel 04-11-2010 10:14 AM

TFTR. I had no idea it had two wrappers, I first thought "Wow, that's a well slobbered cigar."

dannysguitar 04-12-2010 10:35 AM

Thanks for the review. Great smoke!