Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Which Cutter do you prefer? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76964)

Buckeye Jack 02-08-2022 10:28 PM

Which Cutter do you prefer?

So I will start this thread with the transparency that a hobby has now turned into a side hustle. I know this may get me that dreaded(?) vendor color for my name…and I’ll take that risk. Many people know me here throughout my now 25 years on the cigar boards (while still riding that deep slope we all know), and I’ll accept that if it happens LOL

My leather working hobby has netted me quite a few sales, in a very short time. NOT SOMETHING I EVER ANTICIPATED!

I have created vegetable tan wallets, knife sheaths, and whatever anyone has asked me if I could do. I have also created wet-molded cigar cutter pouches for every cutter in my collection.

So, my question to you, is what cigar cutter do you prefer? I dont want to make this a poll because I may not know of every brand thats out there nowadays. I have created pouches for a Palio, an XO, a VX2, a Davidoff, a SAK….and a generic one. I also have a original teardrop Xikar wet molding as we speak. But if their is a really popular one out their that I do not know about….then I want to purchase one and make a pouch for it. Maybe it will become my everyday carry?

Thanks all!

tsolomon 02-09-2022 05:44 AM

Re: Which Cutter do you prefer?

Palio

longknocker 02-09-2022 06:19 AM

Cuban Crafters & Xikar Xi.

bruceolee 02-09-2022 07:36 AM

Xikar Xi and VX2

icehog3 02-09-2022 07:43 AM

Colibri V-Cut
Xikar Xi

Old Sailor 02-09-2022 08:00 AM

Colibri V-Cut
Palio

CigarSquid 02-09-2022 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2229950)
Colibri V-Cut
Xikar Xi

I second this. :banger

I have been getting into the punch again recently.

mosesbotbol 02-09-2022 08:51 AM

Traditional scissors are my go to

https://s.yimg.com/aah/a-zlighters/d...scissors-8.gif

Porch Dweller 02-09-2022 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2229950)
Colibri V-Cut
Xikar Xi

I third these.

I don't care for punches.

jledou 02-09-2022 09:06 AM

I hid my original Palio and a lighter from myself ...

So for the last year it has been Xikar Xi

bruceolee 02-09-2022 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porch Dweller (Post 2229963)
I third these.

I don't care for punches.

I'm with you. I had too many cracked caps from punches. God bless you!

Ashcan Bill 02-09-2022 09:52 AM

While I prefer a punch, when I use a cutter it's usually a Palio.

kydsid 02-09-2022 10:29 AM

Still rocking an old school Palio and Xikar, they will likely outlast any of the new versions just like my 80s garage fridge will outlast the new fancy one thats inside the house I bought last year.

Buckeye Jack 02-09-2022 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 2229962)

Now that would be fun to make something for.......

I'll also have to check out Colibri's V-cutter....not familiar with that one.....

just looked it up...very similar to the Xikar model

Axeman 02-09-2022 11:02 AM

I have very sharp edges fingernails. But I will use any sharp edge available.

stearns 02-09-2022 12:24 PM

Favorite cutter ever? The old Made In Italy Xikar scissors, but those are a relic now

https://img.cigarsinternational.com/...-2.jpg?v=98854

Actual regular use? Palio 10 times out of 10

T.G 02-09-2022 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Jack (Post 2229936)
I have created vegetable tan wallets, knife sheaths, and whatever anyone has asked me if I could do.

Can you make ball gags and gimp hoods? Asking for a friend.

;s

Seriously though, any thoughts about making a generic sized one that might fit like 75%-80% of the various $10-20 cutters out there?

Oddly, my most used cutter falls in that realm. It's the Moretti that CI sells. Double guillotine, sort of Palio inspired. I put my original Zino and OG Palio away for fear of losing them.

Clampdown 02-09-2022 07:36 PM

Palio

gravel 02-09-2022 10:03 PM

Palio
Xikar Xi
Xikar VX

Buckeye Jack 02-10-2022 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2229983)
Can you make ball gags and gimp hoods? Asking for a friend.

;s

Seriously though, any thoughts about making a generic sized one that might fit like 75%-80% of the various $10-20 cutters out there?

Oddly, my most used cutter falls in that realm. It's the Moretti that CI sells. Double guillotine, sort of Palio inspired. I put my original Zino and OG Palio away for fear of losing them.

LOL....you probably wouldn't be surprised at some of the asks I've gotten....and serious ones at that

I do have a generic one. It's been on my Etsy shop the longest, and haven't sold one. Seems everyone wants to go for the wet molded cases. On Etsy I only have 3 sales so far (all in the last month so its increasing) and they have been for two XO and one Palio. I wasn't sure how popular the Palio was outside of this and other boards I am on (which is the main reason for prompting me to post this thread). Seems when I walk into a random shop and see guys sitting around smoking, they mostly have Colibri or Xikar...but I sold my first wet molded Palio last night after it only being in the shop for about 2 days!